December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Clearing is a good thing right now. Need to dry out from all this wetness

Very true. It's all depended on where that loow goes its current position and movement is questionable. Because currently looking at it we're about done for the night it was fun though.

Temps finally leveling off and dropping again. Looks like it is snowing in snoqualmie ridge area.

We have 20 teenagers at our house right now and half of them came from Snoqualmie Ridge and they reported it was snowing there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GFS continues the upward trend of snowfall for the PDX area. Shows a widespread area of 2-3" of snowfall now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Anyone above 200' or so might indeed get rather lucky tonight, suddenly looking like 2-3" possible.

You still seeing snow there? I'm honestly surprised I'm even seeing moderate sticking snow at 1,000ft this early in the evening.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Totally dry out now. Lots of stars and clear skies truly overachieving tonight. I'm really enjoying this.

This isn't our time yet. Late tonight / early tomorrow. Shockingly even the NAM WRF is pretty good for us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yes I totally agree and when I was trying to share with Jim but he didn't want to hear it. We're not gonna have very much snow here that's the bottom line.

New GFS keeps most of the snow north of I-90 tonight and tomorrow morning.   Sharp cut-off as you get south of I-90.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Fingers crossed :) current placement and path of that low it's concerning so I'm not expecting more than a trace maybe an inch at the most.

Why is it concerning? It's dead on what we want.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You still seeing snow there? I'm honestly surprised I'm even seeing moderate sticking snow at 1,000ft this early in the evening.

Yeah, precip rates really dragged it down since the wind here is totally dead. Already have a slushy 1/4" on most surfaces. 

These types of weak southerly gradient setups are generally pretty good for Clark County once you get away from the river. 

Why is it concerning? It's dead on what we want.

For you. Not for my location its placement tracks right over me and that usually limits QPF at this location. Maybe an inch. 

EDIT:  

GFS pretty much shows the same thing for me. 

Snowwizard should get an inch based on that.

Unfortunately... the snow down there falls between 4-10 p.m. tonight on that 00Z GFS.     And that is not happening.  

On the 00z GFS it looks like the low goes straight across the state down past Portland then right out to sea down past central Oregon. Odd and not expecting to see that. END UP HERE:

gfs_T850_nwus_7.png

That is different than the NAM's solution correct? GFS is the better solution correct?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Yeah, precip rates really dragged it down since the wind here is totally dead. Already have a slushy 1/4" on most surfaces. 

These types of weak southerly gradient setups are generally pretty good for Clark County once you get away from the river. 

Awesome. Getting a southerly breeze here currently but it hasn't affected my temp as I'm still holding steady at 31º. Should spell good news for everyone else later tonight.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Unfortunately... the snow down there falls between 4-10 p.m. tonight on that 00Z GFS.     And that is not happening.  

It may still happen for him ... Just saying.. If low slides south and does not go east he will score. (showing optimism just him)... And God Bless everyone! 

In case anyone is wondering... GFS is NOT trending warmer on this run.

Edit - Now it is!

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snowwizard should get an inch based on that.

Yeah...better than the 18z. A tiny bit more south and this could be pretty good here. Still a high chance there will be surprises for King County in general.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Closer to two.. He will not do to bad... I am sure two inches will be very satisfying for him.

At this point...you bet it would. Our luck has been colossally bad so far this season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9