3/11 - 3/12 Winter Storm

Tom

Euro is doing the same thing the GFS was showing...sending a rapidly intensifying system due east from St. Louis (996mb) to S IN (990mb) in six hours.  Naturally, physics would send this more ENE.  Man, the Euro absolutely bombs this storm out from a 996mb near STL to 975mb near the east coast.  That's what we call bombogenesis (technically its 24 mb in 24 hours)

Looks like I will be on the fringe of this thing now. Only 1-3" in the grid here and < 2" in Racine where I work.

Konrad showing heaviest from city, south.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

NAM has been the only model trending south while GFS and Euro have trended north. I know the models have had been bad this year but you would think they could get their act together within 12hrs of a storm. Everyone is just waiting for the GFS to roll before jumping ship!

A local MET's take on the NAM:

"I'll mostly stick with 4-7" locally to 8" for the Chicago metro. The far north and northwest areas will likely be lower than that but I don't think the cutoff will be as sharp as what the 12z NAM showed."

Here is the map

Thanks Tony. I'll say I'm glad I've gotta head to work, because hopefully by 5pm, we should have a clearer picture at how this shakes out. ATM, not looking great for anything above 4" in these parts.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

Here is the map

In Oklahoma... that is a shift south.

So far no changes to the grids.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

@ Sciascia, no optimism over here.   Overnight run's were pretty disappointing.  If height falls are coming in south then heaviest snows will be around Joliet area and points south.  It's too bad, this will probably be the last storm I'll be able to enjoy this year before heading out to AZ.  I think 3-6" will be all we get.