May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Some of the worst model analysis I’ve ever seen in here today.

The 12z GFS/GEFS and EPS/GEPS are plenty troughy through D11-15. There is a brief hiatus between wave cycles, but that was always expected. We’ve been talking about it for a week.

Some of the worst model analysis I’ve ever seen in here today.

The 12z GFS/GEFS and EPS/GEPS are plenty troughy through D11-15. There is a brief hiatus between wave cycles, but that was always expected. We’ve been talking about it for a week.

Phil drops a d****** truth bomb from well above above the fray!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Looks like our ThreeWeekMegablast June edition might not pan out after all.

The 12z EPS is 2011-lite in the long range.

Relax.

zP8jqz8.png

Waaaaaah

Your expectations are set too high.

You’re getting 3 weeks of modest summer troughing this time, not some sequel to 2011. Enjoy it before ridging returns for late June and July.

Definitely looking wetter from Seattle northward through Tuesday am

gfs_apcpn_nwus_20.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Figured the personal attacks from Phil were coming sooner rather than later. He doesn’t do well when his forecasts don’t pan out...

I think he nailed it.    Troughy period started right on schedule.     And will probably continue in general through mid-June.    He did say there would be breaks... such as the one coming for the next two days before it crashes again.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think he nailed it. Troughy period started right on schedule. And will probably continue in general through mid-June. He did say there would be breaks... such as the one coming for the next two days before it crashes again.

The next 7-10 days looks mostly above average. I realize that fits your definition of troughy though.

The next 7-10 days looks mostly above average. I realize that fits your definition of troughy though.

It fits the standard definition as well.    As Phil has pointed out. 

Just not as wet as you want so you are anxious.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It fits the standard definition as well. As Phil has pointed out.

Just not as wet as you want so you are anxious.

So troughing means slightly above average temps....and ridging means well above average temps?

Definitely troughy this week.    Phil did not make a prediction on rainfall.     Some troughs are just not that wet in the warm season.    The problem this week might be that there is too much troughing for it to be wet up here.

gfs_z500a_namer_2.png

So troughing means slightly above average temps....and ridging means well above average temps?

That has been the case the last few years during the warm season... particularly in the Puget Sound region.

Its very troughy this week.    But the temperatures have been about average up here.  

Phil was spot on with his prediction that troughing to return in a big way towards the end of the month.   It was a great call.

12Z GFS shows many troughs fighting to get into the PNW at the same time in the long range...

gfs_z500a_namer_44.png

Could be a dreamy summer for Jesse!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Figured the personal attacks from Phil were coming sooner rather than later. He doesn’t do well when his forecasts don’t pan out...

Did Tim/HeatSquall hack your account?

None of the modeling shows a return to warmth/ridging outside of a few days. I’m not sure what you’re upset about.

Phil was right. He did not make a prediction on rainfall though.

I’ll never make rainfall predictions for the PNW. Much too complicated for me with the gazillion microclimates and wandering ULLs.

When Tim and I agree on something, it’s probably a safe bet that you’re wrong. Just saying. :lol:

Hard to argue that we did not enter a troughy pattern this week.    Its just not delivering the results he wanted... so you are feeling his wrath now.  

Hard to argue that we did not enter a troughy pattern this week. Its just not delivering the results he wanted... so you are feeling his wrath now.

Good lord. :lol:

I’m not the one lobbing personal attacks his way. I don’t think the pattern is going to end up as troughy as he was predicting though.

I’m not the one lobbing personal attacks his way. I don’t think the pattern is going to end up as troughy as he was predicting though.

You are mocking his accurate forecast.    ;)

How troughy did I say it would be?

IIRC, I went out of my way to highlight the fact it wouldn’t be anything extraordinary or anomalous. Just your typical/modest stretch of warm season troughing as the MJO crosses the Indo-Pacific domain following a cycle of poleward AAM propagation.

This isn’t a background state. Ridging will return in late June, and last through at least the middle of July. Then tropical forcing will eventually return to the EHEM in the third or fourth week of July. Rinse, repeat.