July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Dude... normal ebb and flow. Highs in the 80s are technically above normal on any given day. And yet highs in the 80s happen every summer. And stretches with highs in the 80s happen almost every year. So it would be very unusual to not have days in the 80s.

You really don't understand our climate.

Anyways... its more about reaching the driest and sunniest time of year and not about the specific temperatures.

Omg. A prolonged stretch of +10*F is not normal. In fact, that’s a full 2 standard deviations above normal. :lol:

#LolTim

Omg. A prolonged stretch of +10*F is not normal. In fact, that’s a full 2 standard deviations above normal. :lol:

#LolTim

A stretch of 80-degree weather happens almost every summer here.    Usually multiple stretches.   

Took until September in 2011... but it happened even that year.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Gorgeous sunny day out here in Hillsboro! Should get close to 100 today. Then tomorrow temps should climb up into the mid 100s. The 12z EURO has high temperatures in the 100s at PDX for the next 70 days starting tomorrow thru the third Wednesday of September. Fantastic stretch of summer weather coming up!

You’ve been watching too much Rod Hill.

Summer is still in its infancy... give it time.

It’s likely peaking now, actually. Intraseasonal WPAC forcing will be dominating the downstream fluxes for the next 2-3 weeks.

Sometime between August 5th and August 10th, the intreaseasonal convection should return to the IO/ATL again with more dateline subsidence. So probably more GOA/west coast troughing returning around that time.

My flight departs around 18z on the 18th, so I’d probably leave SeaTac for Everett around or just after 00z.

I’ll be super-pissed I walk outside and it feels just like back home.

Have fun with that! 

I have literally avoided going north on I-5 at that time of day for 15 straight years now.    It will probably take 3 hours to go 20 miles.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A stretch of 80-degree weather happens almost every summer here. Usually multiple stretches.

Took until September in 2011... but it happened even that year.

Big difference between 80 degrees and 88 degrees.

The former is pretty typical. The latter is not.

It’s likely peaking now, actually. Intraseasonal WPAC forcing will be dominating the downstream fluxes for the next 2-3 weeks.

Sometime between August 5th and August 10th, the intreaseasonal convection should return to the IO/ATL again with more dateline subsidence. So probably more GOA/west coast troughing returning around that time.

Whatever.   

The peak usually lasts a month here so that seems about right.   

Have fun with that!

I have literally avoided going north on I-5 at that time of day for 15 straight years now. It will probably take 3 hours to go 20 miles.

Yeah it took me 90-100 minutes last year, IIRC.

But I’m constantly driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic here, so I’m not too concerned about it.

Big difference between 80 degrees and 88 degrees.

The former is pretty typical. The latter is not.

ECMWF shows upper 70s and low 80s for Seattle for the next 5 days.   

Its not about being scorching hot... the running joke around here about summer beginning on July 5th (or 12th) is related to the fact that is when we usually enter the driest and sunniest part of the year.   

Whatever.

The peak usually lasts a month here so that seems about right.

I bet the peak of summer coincides perfectly with my trip.

Go figure.

Go figure.

Yeah... go figure.

You are coming right during the normal peak of summer in the northern hemisphere.

Crazy!

ECMWF shows upper 70s and low 80s for Seattle for the next 5 days.

Its not about being scorching hot... the running joke around here about summer beginning on July 5th (or 12th) is related to the fact that is when we usually enter the driest and sunniest part of the year.

Could you post the next 5 days for PDX?

Go figure.

Climo!

#gofigure

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Could you post the next 5 days for PDX?

Frontal was not lying... It hott.

Next 7 days at PDX...

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Meh, I’ve seen worse.

I just find it crazy that that kind of forecast has actually become pretty pedestrian for PDX over the last few years.

It's not right.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah... go figure.

You are coming right during the normal peak of summer in the northern hemisphere.

Crazy!

Relative to average, silly.

Lmao. Anomaly = deviation from climo. IE: A measure of how *un-climo* something is.

Point being it's not that "un-climo" for mid to late July. Just the opposite actually.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Point being it's not that "un-climo" for mid to late July. Just the opposite actually.

:huh:

What? +10*F anomalies are just as “un-climo” in late July as they are in late January.

What I was trying to say is that the warmest weather of the summer *relative to average* would probably coincide with my trip..which has nothing to do with climo.

That puddle from the tail end of winter yesterday is almost gone... let summer begin!  

20180711_124205.jpg[/quote

While visiting Texas their was this one puddle that never dried up. Air was so humid it had no place to go. By the end of the week the puddle still remained even though it was in the 90s...crazy stuff

• Like 1

That puddle from the tail end of winter yesterday is almost gone... let summer begin!

20180711_124205.jpg

While visiting Texas their was this one puddle that never dried up. Air was so humid it had no place to go. By the end of the week the puddle still remained even though it was in the 90s...crazy stuff

That happens here too. The streets often have those damp patches under the trees, like it just rained...even after weeks without rain.

Sometimes puddles will form in shady spots like Broxburn and Crail drive due to condensation alone. Lol.

• Like 1

Really nice day today. Had a some really small clouds drift by earlier, but other than that completely clear out. Sitting at 78/59 currently. NW wind keeping it down near 70 by the water. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It will be fun watching how fast everything turns brown.

Keep us posted!

It would not be summer here without the grass along the roads turning brown... I have watched it happen every summer now for 15 years.  

That happens here too. The streets often have those damp patches under the trees, like it just rained...even after weeks without rain.

Sometimes puddles will form in shady spots like Broxburn and Crail drive due to condensation alone. Lol.

From late November through late January... our roads can stay completely damp even on sunny days if it is calm.    The roads are only dry when its not raining and there is some wind.   

Sun angle and tree shadows FTW.

Yeah... both are at play.

On a sunny, calm day... the road stays damp even where it is fully exposed to the sun at that time of year.    The angle is just too low.  

D8-13 is completely normal, too.

Let’s make this happen.

crngqII.png

You are on Hippa Island by that point... the pattern is likely irrelevant.  

You are on Hippa Island by that point... the pattern is likely irrelevant.

I’m in Seattle until the afternoon of the 21st, and I’m in Vancouver, BC for most of the 22nd.

And I’d still prefer a strong GOA vortex/trough pattern when I’m up there. ;)