2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Regardless the shortest day of 2019 had a warmer high than the longest day of 2019, something that can only happen in mild climates.

Depends on the location. Further inland, June 21 still had a warmer high (by about 5 degrees) at most locations than today. I had a high of 76F on June 21st, while today it was only 71F. Similar highs in Temecula.

Granted, the coasts and coastal valleys are much milder.

Heavier rain predicted for Orange County now. Lucky you, Mr Marine Layer.

Heavier rainfall will be most likely in Orange County
with rainfall totals with this storm increased a bit from
previous forecasts, now forecasting 1.0-1.5 inches in that area,
with rainfall rates peaking around 0.50" per hour with any heavier
rain bands or small thunderstorm cells on Monday
afternoon/evening.

WeatherStory3.png

Almost looking like a squall line. Rain currently reaching as far east as Lake Elsinore and Riverside in Riverside County, while it's just making landfall across most of San Diego County (except Camp Pendleton and Oceanside, where rain has already started falling).

bfl_None_anim122319 1.gif

This has to be one of the slowest-moving fronts I've ever seen. It has taken 12 hours for the front to get from the LA/Ventura County Line, to the Orange/Riverside County Line.

The massive differences in storm totals between LA/Ventura/Orange counties vs. IE and San Diego County reminds me strongly of the Typhoon Melor remnant storm we had in October 2009. Downtown L.A. recorded 2.07" from that storm, while I recorded a meager 0.06" from it in Murrieta. San Diego received only a trace from that storm. That still ranks #1 on my most disappointing storm list.

This storm isn't nearly as bad, but the differences are similarly quite substantial. I have 0.31", which doesn't quite meet predictions of between 0.50-1.00" here, however areas just north and west of me were much wetter. Downtown L.A. got over 1.5". Rain has now stopped, as the front has moved past us. Showers are still scattered behind the front, so more rain is possible.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201912231710-KSGX-SRUS46-RRMSGX

This upcoming system for Wednesday night and Thursday has been really fun to track, and probably an absolute nightmare for the NWS. As of the most recent model runs this system seems to give much of southern California (including the IE which isn't getting too much from this current system) very good rainfall totals. That being said there are a couple of factors that make this forecast uncertain even though it is very close. The main issue is that a surface low develops which means that the winds wrap around and actually come from an offshore direction. This "Santa Ana" effect can dry the lower levels, meaning that if the low is even a little bit further from the coast rainfall totals can be cut dramatically or even be removed entirely. Even 100 miles can make a huge difference, which is nothing compared to the scale of these storms.

My primary interest wrt this stems from the evaporation cooling potential. There's a non-zero chance parts of the IE sees some flurries with this system. So many things have to go right for that it really isn't likely at all, but it's still fun to track.

• Like 1

Nothing in Temecula?

Rain during the evening was mostly light in Temecula, although somewhat heavier at my station. I ended up with 0.67" yesterday, falling within predictions after all. The last showers rolled through at 11:30 PM, nothing since then. Temecula ended up with 0.59". Lake Elsinore and Wildomar in the northern part of the valley were significantly wetter, with 1.38" and 1.92" respectively.