2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

The band of rain that was parked over my neighborhood for an hour and a half seems to have moved on, leaving me with 1.11" for the day.

I like how NWS LA/Oxnard has been using the exact same picture of freeway traffic for every storm so far this season, the old tan Honda Accord with the 80s pop-up headlights sticks out to me:

WeatherStory1.png?cf5fd7d6d2cde9c5b0ca0d

• Like 1

Dark skies today. An early wave of rain is hitting Orange County, although the NWS says it's not as bad as it looks on radar and that some of the rain falling is evaporating before it reaches the ground. They did update today's forecast to include chances of light rain this afternoon/evening, however.

NWS San Diego says more showers are developing near SoCal tonight, moving east. Hasn't been any rain in the area since around 5 PM, but looks like most inland parts of Southern California all received about the same amount of rain earlier today (up to 0.1").

Also apparently the upcoming storm will start with very high snow levels, between 9000 and 10000 feet before lowering to 6500-7000 feet by Sunday night.

Just me here today. Now that our weather has returned to being inactive for a while, I'm not surprised.

It's a long shot, but from NWS San Diego's forecast discussion:

A weak ridge will likely build early next week followed by a stronger trough that may bring precipitation late next week.

I love it when the NWS San Diego mets show humor:

The eastern Pacific is chaotic and
the jet stream is not a solid driver of systems at this time. Most
guidance including ensembles shows some attempt to bring in an
overall wet pattern later next week, but the attempts of any
individual systems to bring us meaningful rain are not convincing.
Case in point, yesterday GFS was dry, Euro was wet. Today? GFS is
wet, Euro is dry. We pulled out the broad brush to indicate some
chances of the wet stuff late Wednesday into Thursday.