1/11 - 1/12 Southern Midwest Snowstorm

Tom

00z UK has dropped the northern edge down to join the other models around 0.20" for Cedar Rapids.  It had been higher for a few runs.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Every model is showing Missouri getting destroyed.
Every model is also showing me just barely on the north side of the sharp cutoff. Its amazing how that seems to happen all the time this season. Its been a season of really tough luck around here if you are a snow lover.

• Like 1

That’s insane Hawkeye, you have never measured more than 11” from a storm?!? It seemed like all of iowa got destroyed from the winters in the mid to late 2000’s. Specifically I remember either 2008 or 09 you guys seemed to be the magnet for all major winter storms?!

Yes eastern Ia was a snow magnet in the winter of 2007-2008. If I remember right Iowa City had its snowiest winter on record. I think I measured 60"> that season, not really from huge snows, just many snow events. And I do remember big snowstorms crossing Mo. over the years.
  • Like 1

Yes eastern Ia was a snow magnet in the winter of 2007-2008. If I remember right Iowa City had its snowiest winter on record. I think I measured 60"> that season, not really from huge snows, just many snow events.

But a winter like that wouldn't be anything new for Michigan peeps.
  • Like 1

On phone- but Euro back to being wetter for C.IA. 12Z = .26" for DSM now .46". The king is struggling with something, on to the short range guidance and radar trends.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Agree. Though it has 850 temps approaching the prime dendritic growth of -8C, being -6C to -7C for the bulk of the Qpf at kdsm. still concerning for many ( including me) is that cutoff.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

In all honesty, I'm actually content that the KC region and MO are getting their snowstorm.  I know some of you in NE and IA haven't seen a big snowstorm in recent years, but the S MW has been hurt more often than not over the last number of years.  Not only that, but my LR forecast from a few weeks ago suggested a Plains system would target the region is verifying (around the 9th was my original call)... ;)...needless to say, I'm alright with scoring 1-2" and hopefully seeing flakes fly this weekend.

00z EPS did come back north about 25 miles with the 2" snow mean across Chicagoland compared to 00z the 18th.  S IA still in the game for a plowable event and into SE NE.

• Like 3

Up early I am like a kid on Christmas morning!  Good luck today everybody I hope we all get as much as possible.

I'm happy for you Clinton and that goes for the rest of you guys down near KC who I know are lurking.  This is a sight for sore eyes.  One of the biggest snow storms in years may be developing.  Believe me, I've been touting this pattern would cycle back and I'm thrilled you guys are going to cash in.  Won't be the last!

• Like 2

Long range hrrr following the euro and has a late change over. I honestly don't see that happening. Kansas changes before us is hard to believe.

Long range HRRR has been more unreliable than long range GFS this year.

It also butchers ratios. It'll be a wet snow but it won't be 4:1.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.