Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

That is insane.   It looks and feels like the middle of summer here.    I can't even imagine snow right now.   

Yeah summer still feels like a long ways off here. Only one very brief 70 degree day thus far this year. Trees still haven't even leafed out.

Summer is incredibly short here, but it's beautiful when it does arrive. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Rainy season has definitely arrived here with another day with highs in the 40's and off and on showers today. Haven't reached the 60's since the 6th with measurable precip on 8 of the first 15 days this month. Currently 43 degrees.

Looks like a beautiful weekend with highs finally reaching the 60's and even low 70's on Sun/Mon. Big cutoff low looks to sit over and around Montana by mid next week. With the mountains still sitting at more than 150% of normal snowpack and potentially heavy rainfall on that snowpack flooding concerns are looking increasingly likely by later next week depending on where those heavy rainfall bands setup.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Been plenty hot and boring here for a while. We had a pair of 106 degree days but since then its cooled back into the 90s. Looks like near 100 degree temps the next few days and then one more cool down to near 90.

I should have a lot more to say once the monsoon gets going. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Snowing pretty hard here and sticking while sitting at 31 degrees currently.

We had a cold, ranging easterly wind all day yesterday that ushered in all this cold air. Looks like we'll struggle to reach 40 today. Really impressive cold air pattern for mid May.

Looks like we're settling into a very wet and continued cool pattern with rain/snow forecasted over the next 9 out of 10 days.

You sure live in a crazy place with snow in mid May just about every year it seems. Of course, I live in a crazy place too now because its way too hot ;)

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

You sure live in a crazy place with snow in mid May just about every year it seems. Of course, I live in a crazy place too now because its way too hot ;)

Yeah the average last day of measurable snow in town is May 12th and we're 500ft higher so we're always about 2 weeks behind town with things. Bozeman saw over 14" of snow on June 13th back in 2001 so May and even June snow is the norm up here. 

Since I moved here it has snowed every month of the year except in July. It is quite the cold snowy climate out here, even more so than I was expecting when I did my research on the climate before moving.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Looking like another heat wave here in 7-10 days. Probably a few days of 105-110, but we will see as we get closer. 

"Slight" risk for severe storms here today. I think Bozeman is going to be just a little too far south and east with the storms forming almost right over the area then tracking NE. Greater than 1in hail and 70+ mph wind gusts are the main threats and there is even a possibility of a few tornados.

Storm chasers are in the area and staged in the highest risk area just north of here. I can't get out today but today looks to be a great storm chasing day.

Cold Season 2023/24:

The local Tims are throwing a hissy fit. It's been warm and mostly sunny all week...but now tomorrow has a decent chance of afternoon storms, and then Sunday/Monday look cool and wet, with numerous showers and highs in the low 60s.

Glad I didn't have a camping trip planned.  B)

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Pretty potent little storm moving in here tonight. Plenty of moisture and cold air will accompany the system beginning tonight through Sunday morning.

Really tough to pinpoint exact snowfall amounts since we'll be right at the snow line but I'll go with 1-4" of very wet snow by late tomorrow morning.

Cold Season 2023/24:

The local Tim's are throwing a hissy fit. It's been warm and mostly sunny all week...but now tomorrow has a decent chance of afternoon storms, and then Sunday/Monday look cool and wet, with numerous showers and highs in the low 60s.

Glad I didn't have a camping trip planned.  B)

I don't think Tims could cut it here. Everyone here knows that snowfall and cold temps is just part of normal camping weather on Memorial Day weekend.

Cold Season 2023/24:

I don't think Tims could cut it here. Everyone here knows that snowfall and cold temps is just part of normal camping weather on Memorial Day weekend.

Yeah... definitely not for me. Life is too short to live in perpetual winter. Even Fairbanks will be sunny and 74 tomorrow.

I was watching a reality show on Netflix where this old couple (originally from MN) was giving away the log cabin they built in the middle of Alaska and these couples were competing in challenges they designed. I was surprised at how beautiful summer is in the interior of Alaska. They kept saying it would plunge below freezing every night but there is no night there and I looked up the data from last summer when they filmed it and lows were in the 50s. That was just for dramatic effect. I think I would live there over Bozeman after following the weather closely since you moved there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... definitely not for me. Life is too short to live in perpetual winter. Even Fairbanks will be sunny and 74 tomorrow.

I was watching a reality show on Netflix where this old couple (originally from MN) was giving away the log cabin they built in the middle of Alaska and these couples were competing in challenges they designed. I was surprised at how beautiful summer is in the interior of Alaska. They kept saying it would plunge below freezing every night but there is no night there and I looked up the data from last summer when they filmed it and lows were in the 50s. That was just for dramatic effect. I think I would live there over Bozeman after following the weather closely since you moved there.

Well it's not Summer yet! Summer is beautiful (albeit short) here as well. July and August is mostly in the 70's and 80's with lows around 45-55. Throw in a mix of afternoon thunderstorms that keeps things green throughout the summer and you have just about perfection summer weather IMO. You just have to accept that true Summer like weather only lasts about 6-8 weeks.

Last August.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 9.09.23 AM.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Well it's not Summer yet! Summer is beautiful (albeit short) here as well. July and August is mostly in the 70's and 80's with lows around 45-55. Throw in a mix of afternoon thunderstorms that keeps things green throughout the summer and you have just about perfection summer weather IMO. You just have to accept that true Summer like weather only lasts about 6-8 weeks.

Last August.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 9.09.23 AM.png

Warm season then. It seems like 44-46 weeks of the year are mostly cold season there.

Snow in May and/or June and again in August and/or September is way too much for my liking.

But that is just me. Not saying everyone should feel that way.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Snowing and 33º currently. Not really accumulating all that much with the precip not arriving until right around sunrise. Just enough to coat things white.

Looks like snow/rain will continue throughout the day through tonight before finally tapering by tomorrow morning.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Warm season then. It seems like 44-46 weeks of the year are mostly cold season there.

Snow in May and/or June and again in August and/or September is way too much for my liking.

The weather here is definitely not for everyone. Most retired people here head to AZ/CA Oct-May. For us, being skiers, we obviously don't mind it one bit!

With that said, the long "shoulder seasons" do seem to drag on forever here though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

On average, it's not that cold in Bozeman in May, June, or September. May averages highs in the 60s, June the low 70s, and September 70s to 60s.

You just hear about the unusual cold spells from Kayla...and there have been more of those in recent years than normal.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

On average, it's not that cold in Bozeman in May, June, or September. May averages highs in the 60s, June the low 70s, and September 70s to 60s.

You just hear about the unusual cold spells from Kayla...and there have been more of those in recent years than normal.

Yeah seasonal extremes are just more common here than in the PNW lowlands. Recently those extremes have been trending on the cool/cold side for whatever reason. We're due for a string of above average months and all things point to that this summer.

With that said, when we first moved here all the locals said it isn't a normal Memorial Day weekend without snowfall in Bozeman.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Still looking at several days near 110F coming up. Won't be long before the monsoon starts to crank up if this heat persists. 

• Like 1

It was looking like some record highs (near 90) were going to be set this weekend but now the heat is looking less and less impressive by each model run. Either way, we should see our first 80 degree day of the year on Friday which is just about average (May 28th) for our first 80+.

Low to mid 80's beginning on Friday look to last through the weekend (possibly longer) with a chance of storms on Friday and through the weekend. Currently 63 with some showers around.

Cold Season 2023/24:

109 in Phoenix Thursday. Friday looks to be the hottest at 111-112. 

109 in Phoenix Thursday. Friday looks to be the hottest at 111-112. 

How are you faring in that kind of heat?? That sounds brutal.

Cold Season 2023/24:

The "heat" has really gotten watered down for here this weekend. Looking like Saturday will be the peak where we may just touch 80 degrees otherwise just mid to upper 70's.

Under a marginal risk for severe storms today. Strong winds of 60+ mph is the main threat.

Cold Season 2023/24:

How are you faring in that kind of heat?? That sounds brutal.

I don't go outside much these days lol. In truth, its not as bad as it sounds. To me 112 (today's high) didn't feel much different than like 105 from a few days ago. But to be clear, I will be happy to move on to another office when I get the chance.

There were a few thunderstorms not too far away but they all stayed out of the city. More of the same the next few days. 

• Like 1

111 on Saturday with a few thunderstorms in the area. I stayed dry but it was nice to see something close. More of the same the next few days. Looks like this anomalous heat might hold on through Thursday. 

Models have been hinting at some snowfall Monday morning but the 18z GFS just went way crazy and dumps 24-30" of snowfall in Bozeman on Monday.

VERY unlikely to happen but it shows the possibility of at least a notable snow event for June 8th.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 7.27.40 PM.png

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Models have been hinting at some snowfall Monday morning but the 18z GFS just went way crazy and dumps 24-30" of snowfall in Bozeman on Monday.

VERY unlikely to happen but it shows the possibility of at least a notable snow event for June 8th.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 7.27.40 PM.png

I would be down for that!

I would be down for that!

I kind of am as well but at the same time that kind of snow would cause all sorts of damage with most of our deciduous trees now leafed out in town and here at home. Thankfully those kind of damaging snow totals are quite unlikely.

Cold Season 2023/24: