The Weather Forums

Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

I’m in Breckinridge and it’s snowed 2” here since 3PM. Looks like Denver will probably get more than here with this storm though since they have a lot more moisture to work with but it’s absolutely gorgeous here.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 82.5"

2022-23: 15"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

• Staff
4 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Absolutely dumping here. 3" since the switchover happened about 90 minutes ago. 

Exact opposite of the super dry fluff we saw during last week's record cold, this is PNW-grade, heavy and wet.

Sounds just like what we had here last Tuesday (12/20).   We got 3 inches in about 90 minutes after the rain turned to snow. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sounds like a lot of tree damage around Denver from the unusually heavy wet snow. They aren’t used to that. I got about 4-5” last night in Breckinridge and it was in the single digits skiing today. 🥶

Denver also nearly doubled their average monthly December rainfall yesterday alone.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 82.5"

2022-23: 15"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

19 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Sounds like a lot of tree damage around Denver from the unusually heavy wet snow. They aren’t used to that. I got about 4-5” last night in Breckinridge and it was in the single digits skiing today. 🥶

Denver also nearly doubled their average monthly December rainfall yesterday alone.

Definitely some minor tree damage in my neighborhood, though nothing like the storm last spring. It's true we don't usually get heavy, wet snow this time of year...but it's fairly common with March/April storms.

Of course, the most damaging snowstorms are usually the ones that occur when there's some leafage (late spring or early fall).

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Reno's snowpack has been holding on well. All that wet snow on New Years' must have frozen solid over the past few cold nights, plus they got an inch or two more to keep it fresh.

Don't ask me why I'm so enthusiastic about whether it snows in Reno...I'm not sure either other than that I think their cold semi-arid/Mediterranean hybrid climate is quite interesting.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 8:25 PM, Tenochtitlan said:

Reno's snowpack has been holding on well. All that wet snow on New Years' must have frozen solid over the past few cold nights, plus they got an inch or two more to keep it fresh.

Don't ask me why I'm so enthusiastic about whether it snows in Reno...I'm not sure either other than that I think their cold semi-arid/Mediterranean hybrid climate is quite interesting.

I can pick up Reno radio station 780 AM at night.  They're pretty happy with the moisture they're getting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Black Hole said:

I'm in Denver.  A few inches of crusty snow everywhere. Probably a lot of that melts off the next 2 days. Maybe an inch of snow on Wed night or Thurs morning with that system going by to the south. 

Yeah, we've had snow on the ground for about 2.5 weeks now, but with no reinforcements the past week. Latest Euro did look good for at least a couple inches Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

How much did you get from that one?

Models tapered off as we got closer and only ended up with an inch.

Roads would have been really in bad shape if we got the 3-6", given how bad they were already after the messy 6-12" storm we got the week before.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

HRRR snowfall for tomorrow afternoon and evening. ECMWF is similar, GFS is dry. So maybe an inch could still fall. Looks better to the east. 

image.png

I think we'll be lucky to see half an inch. All models have trended drier for metro area, including latest Euro.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Winter Storm Warning issued for tomorrow evening through Wednesday morning. 6-11" expected.

Looks like the same system will also hit Minnesota late Wednesday into Thursday.   Watching it closely as my wife is flying into Minneapolis late Wednesday night.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Dumping snow and up to 4" so far. Got a feeling this one makes a run at a foot. 

And temps should stay cool for the foreseeable future, meaning most side roads will once again be tough sledding for awhile.

There was still an inch or two in areas without full sun going into this...could turn out to be an impressive stretch of snow cover for Denver.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Dumping snow and up to 4" so far. Got a feeling this one makes a run at a foot. 

And temps should stay cool for the foreseeable future, meaning most side roads will once again be tough sledding for awhile.

There was still an inch or two in areas without full sun going into this...could turn out to be an impressive stretch of snow cover for Denver.

Welp, jumped the gun here. Snow lightened up considerably for the rest of the storm and ended up with about 7".

Still, second 6"+ storm in the past three weeks, and DEN's consecutive snow on the ground streak looks set to continue for awhile.

• Like 2