Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

47 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Here are the coldest temps across the West for reporting stations during the January 2024 Arctic blast.

Montana

Great Falls: -37 (tied their all-time coldest January temp from 1969, only colder temps on record are Dec 1983 and Dec 1968)

Havre: -44 (coldest January temperature since 1969)

Helena: -36 (coldest January temperature since 1996, before that 1957)

Bozeman: -45 (coldest January temp since 1957, tied with Dec 2022 as second coldest temp on record after Jan 1957 and Dec 1983)

Cut Bank: -41 (coldest January temp since 1954)

Kalispell: -33 (coldest January temp since 1979)

Missoula: -22

Billings: -26

Livingston: -29

Roundup: -44

Glasgow: -37

Wyoming

Sheridan: -31

Casper: -37 (coldest January temp since 1972)

Lander: -27 (coldest January temp since 1979)

Gillette: -35 (coldest January temp since 1930)

Yellowstone Lake: -33

Riverton: -27

Idaho

Lewiston: -10

Boise: 3

Twin Falls: -8

Idaho Falls: -14

Pocatello: -14

Stanley: -34

Colorado

Fort Collins: -22 (coldest January temp since 1984)

Denver: -19 (coldest January temp since 1984)

Greeley: -29 (coldest January temp since 1962)

Colorado Springs: -10

Washington

Spokane: -13 (coldest January temp since 2004)

Pullman: -21 (coldest January temp since 1982, on par with what they saw in 1950 and 1957)

Chelan: -14

Deer Park: -22

Mazama: -29 (second coldest January temp on record, after January 1969)

Omak: -13 (records are a little funky, but as far as I can tell this is the coldest January temp here since 1969, which it tied)

Yakima: -2

Walla Walla: -14 (coldest January temp since 1957)

Olympia: 11

Bellingham: 3 (coldest January temp since 1982)

Everett: 13

Hoquiam: 19 (coldest January temp since 1980)

Port Angeles: 14

Seattle WFO: 16 (coldest January temp on record, records back to 1983)

SEA: 15 (coldest January temps since 1996)

BFI: 14

Shelton: 10

Battleground: 14

Oregon

Baker City: -8

Pendleton: -5

Bend: -6 (coldest January temp since 1980)

Hermiston: -7

La Grande: -11

PDX: 15

Salem: 16

I saw an unofficial temp of -54 at Chester, MT from the National High/Low temp page. If that's verified then that would be their coldest temperature behind January 1950 (-57) and January 1909 (-55). I don't know if the stations are in the same locations though so it could be different.
image.png.af80079d953c3939ae6d0d8e52adc8f2.png 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doinko said:

I saw an unofficial temp of -54 at Chester, MT from the National High/Low temp page. If that's verified then that would be their coldest temperature behind January 1950 (-57) and January 1909 (-55). I don't know if the stations are in the same locations though so it could be different.
image.png.af80079d953c3939ae6d0d8e52adc8f2.png 

Certainly among the all-time greats for MT.

A forum for the end of the world.

I saw this thread is 10 years old now. Too bad it doesn't see a lot of activity these days. My family in Utah has all been complaining about all the snow they saw the last month. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

• 2 weeks later...

In an uncanny repeat of last week, models once again are struggling mightily with a potential snowstorm this weekend. Although unlike last Saturday, temps this time don't look to be the issue, available moisture does.

The GFS, ICON, and Euro are showing about 2" for Denver, the CMC 5", and the NAM 10".

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 10:38 AM, Front Ranger said:

Nice couple of maps from the NWS of the 3/14-3/15 snowstorm. It was the biggest snowstorm for the metro since the March 2021 blizzard, which also occurred on Pi Day (see video and pic below). That one brought 20-30" to most of the area.

CO-SnowfallAnalysisPublic2(1).png

Custom(-105.4_39.4_-104.45_40.07)-SnowfallAnalysisPublic2.png

IMG_20210315_105812987_HDR.jpg

Sadly not 3.1415926535 ft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Only one 80+ day so far for DEN this year, and that was a month ago. Been a pretty nice, variable spring. 

Getting to the time of year when 90 becomes possible...hopefully we hold that off for a couple weeks longer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DEN just touched 100 yesterday for the first time since 2022. 98 IMBY. Been a hot stretch the past few days, with three straight 97+ for me. Cooler today as we should top out around 90, with potentially some strong storms later this afternoon.

Some more significant relief looks to arrive Fri/Sat, with highs below normal in the lower 80s. Regardless, this will end up as one of the hottest Junes on record for the area.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2024 at 8:52 PM, Anti Marine Layer said:

When do things get exciting?

Hopefully when monsoon season gets going!

July has been nice so far, though only .24" of rain. DEN is running -2.3 for the month, and I've only had one day hit 90. Average high is right around 90 this time of year.

Unfortunately, it's about to turn a lot hotter. Highs Friday-Sunday are projected to be right around 100 each day.

On 7/12/2024 at 1:31 PM, Front Ranger said:

Looks like DEN headed for 102-103 today and tomorrow. We're escaping to the mountains for some camping at 9000'. Highs probably around 80.

They hit 102 yesterday, but only 99 today. Still way too hot, fortunately next week looks infinitely better with temps in the 80s and rain chances.

• Like 1

As a side note, it was widely reported here that June 2024 was Denver's second warmest on record, after 2012. Which, at the newer airport that has been the official Denver station since 1996, it was.

However, at the old Stapleton airport station which was the official DEN station back to the 1940s and where they still keep records, 2024 ranked #5. 2018, 2012, 1994, and 1956 were all warmer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

As a side note, it was widely reported here that June 2024 was Denver's second warmest on record, after 2012. Which, at the newer airport that has been the official Denver station since 1996, it was.

However, at the old Stapleton airport station which was the official DEN station back to the 1940s and where they still keep records, 2024 ranked #5. 2018, 2012, 1994, and 1956 were all warmer.

I wonder if the heat from the tarmac as well as heat from all the jet engines in addition to increased air traffic in general at DEN has made the temperature observations hotter than they would normally be? Or, is it just that the area where DEN is located is just warmer than the old Stapleton location? I know that DEN is located further to the east of Stapleton out on the edge of the suburbs, or at least that was the case when I visited Denver back in 2006.

Edited by Dan the Weatherman

20 hours ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

I wonder if the heat from the tarmac as well as heat from all the jet engines in addition to increased air traffic in general at DEN has made the temperature observations hotter than they would normally be? Or, is it just that the area where DEN is located is just warmer than the old Stapleton location? I know that DEN is located further to the east of Stapleton out on the edge of the suburbs, or at least that was the case when I visited Denver back in 2006.

In general for the summer, further east and north you go in Denver metro, the warmer it gets. Not by a lot, but often the high is 1-2 degrees warmer in these areas compared to most of metro. 

Reason is that the further away from the foothills you are, the longer it takes mountain convection to reach you and cool things down. DEN is further east and north than the old airport.

This month, for example, DEN has 11 90+ days so far. Most other stations in Denver metro have 7-9.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

In general for the summer, further east and north you go in Denver metro, the warmer it gets. Not by a lot, but often the high is 1-2 degrees warmer in these areas compared to most of metro. 

Reason is that the further away from the foothills you are, the longer it takes mountain convection to reach you and cool things down. DEN is further east and north than the old airport.

This month, for example, DEN has 11 90+ days so far. Most other stations in Denver metro have 7-9.

Also, when you go further to the east of Denver, doesn't the elevation drop somewhat as well, which could also lead to a bit warmer conditions?

54 minutes ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

Also, when you go further to the east of Denver, doesn't the elevation drop somewhat as well, which could also lead to a bit warmer conditions?

In general, yes, however it depends and DEN is actually a little higher than most of the city. But 100-200' isn't really enough to make a difference. Timing of cloud cover is the bigger factor in the summer.