Christmas Blizzard 12/20 - 12/28

Tom

24 minutes ago, Minny_Weather said:

SREF plumes are actually pretty split on making my main ptype snow for the first low.

image.thumb.png.7ad20138fd6bab7be0c32dc68d71b61e.png

Thanks for reminding me of these. The EMC GEFS plumes are trending in the right direction for FSD. The 06z run had the highest percentage of p-type being snow of any run so far and luckily, it shows freezing rain chances at being under 10%. I wish the EPS had a similar graph so we could compare it to it's own ensemble suite but I haven't found one like this yet.

image.png

Models still can't agree about the initial wave of rain Friday.  The trend is back south, possibly missing Cedar Rapids completely.  The GFS and a few other models still get a couple tenths up here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Model round up for down this way. Snow in the air starting to look like a reasonable bet. Marginal temps and daytime timing should keep accumulation at bay. 

image.png

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

2 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_35.png

I know, its the ICON!!!  BUT.....other data runs are getting close to this. 

There is a trend for an upper level low to form and this run is showing Christmas evening for KC. We're in it!! The ole comma head, those can get interesting. Trended colder on this model too. 

ICON isn't as trash as some people want to claim it is. It's won a couple of storms before.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

49 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_35.png

I know, its the ICON!!!  BUT.....other data runs are getting close to this. 

There is a trend for an upper level low to form and this run is showing Christmas evening for KC. We're in it!! The ole comma head, those can get interesting. Trended colder on this model too. 

I thought the 540 line was the rain/snow threshold? That’s showing it’s in central ks?

24 minutes ago, Jayhawker85 said:

I thought the 540 line was the rain/snow threshold? That’s showing it’s in central ks?

540 is the statistical point where there is a 50% chance of rain and 50% of snow. It often is where the switchover occurs if there is lots of cold air coming in or you have steady and heavy precip but often is not if there is limited low level cold. In those cases the upper levels are colder than "needed" but the lower levels are too warm. Hope that helps. 

I've seen snow at up to 546 thickness when it came with thunderstorms. 

• Like 5

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I should probably add to my previous comment that model inconsistencies aside, if there was a place where a switchover could occur with relatively warmer temperatures it would be in that northwest portion of the wraparound. Quite often the winds go nearly calm aloft allowing for the diabatic cooling to cool most of the lower atmosphere to 32-34F. Then as soon as the snow stops the temp will jump to 40F. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The 00z UK moved the heavy rain into western Iowa and eastern Nebraska, and Cedar Rapids gets stuck in a dry hole.  This run doesn't even drop any rain in CR until Monday night.  Every model is still a little different.  There are a lot of pieces of energy spinning around, making it difficult to pin down the details.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The 00z UK moved the heavy rain into western Iowa and eastern Nebraska, and Cedar Rapids gets stuck in a dry hole.  This run doesn't even drop any rain in CR until Monday night.  Every model is still a little different.  There are a lot of pieces of energy spinning around, making it difficult to pin down the details.

Looks like the current gfs and today’s euro. 

IMG_3019.png

• Snow 2

00z CMC ensembles with a big time jump in probabilities of 1+ inches. Even 3+ inch chances ain't half bad now. More closely aligns with the new GFS/Euro pairing than it does with its own 00z OP run. 24-hour precip ending Tuesday evening shows a decent area of wraparound precip with that second low. Also another shift to cooler temps over a large area on Christmas Day. 

Might we be starting to see at least a little bit of consensus among the models? 

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-central-snow_ge_1-3743200.png

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-central-snow_ge_3-3743200.png

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-central-precip_24hr_inch-3635200.png

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-central-t2m_f_dprog-3538000.png

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

Looks like euro is holding true. I’m loving the trends tonight… The only problem is what happens to the area of low pressure? Looks like trends are slowing down and the euro has occlusion occurring over Iowa; that would bode well for heavy snow to the northwest. Gfs, cmc, and nam are also starting to show that as of tonight…

• Like 4

ULL's like this one are notoriously hard to forecast. Which is why I have no clue that NWS DMX posted this map just on Wednesday. Way too much time to STILL go on this. Something tells me there might be just a little bit of bias involved. Now I have pic saved on here and if the NWS eats Crow ( deletes the pic) - got this to show them :O)

FB_IMG_1703226671489.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Someone is going to cash in on this one. I don't think it'll be me, but someone will be happy at the end of all this. 

It would be nice to get the ground covered here, but I think I might need to wait until at least January.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I got good vibes on parts of IA getting at least accumulating snow on this one. Definitely seeing colder / eastern trends with much of guidance. 

Latest AFD from DMX -

Still watching for the potential for wintry precip types Tue-Wed.
GEFS/ECENS probs for accumulating snowfall have increased over at
least the western half of the state, although with temps progged
to hover around 0C in the lowest few KM above the surface it is
difficult to make any confident assessments on ptype at the
moment. Forecast continues to mention mostly rain but does have
some periods of wintry mix included. This will need to be
monitored over the coming days.
  • Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

MPX's moring AFD-

An upper level low is forecast to
develop on the heels of the initial surface low passage, which will
act as a secondary mechanism for continued rain chances through the
middle of next week. Grand Ensemble QPF output has increased,
illustrating the potential for area storm totals in the 1-1.25"
range. Indications are that most of the precipitation will fall as
rain from Sunday-Tuesday, however the arrival of colder air/wintry
precipitation to the northwest of the upper level low is plausible,
as this idea is a common theme within upper-level lows this time of
the year. A fair amount of uncertainty in where/when a transition to
a wintry p-type exists at this time, so we will have to keep
reevaluating this potential over the coming days.
  • Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

A couple interesting tidbits from FSD's AFD. They aren't willing to bite yet on any significant snowfall here but they're noticing the same trends we are with models starting to converge on a solution. 

The big story in the forecast remains the potential for the first widespread and substancial precipitation the region has seen in quite some time. This risk will be due to a series of troughs just now beginning to enter the Pacific Northwest and a secondary trough moving into southern California. Sampling of these systems while over the Pacific has likely been poor, leading to quite a bit of model fluctuation. However with both of these troughs and the coinciding jet streaks now onshore, the hope is for better sampling and resolution in model guidance with today`s model runs.
The forecast becomes much more uncertain from late Sunday night through Wednesday, as there is a great deal of uncertainty on the eventual evolution of a trough that slows and deepens over the Central Plains Monday into Tuesday. The ECMWF remains deeper and further northwest than the GFS, but both model camps have shown some progression towards a common solution. We see the same signals in ensemble guidance though there seems to be much more consensus in the ECMWF ensemble than the GFS ensemble (higher and more concentrated probabilities versus lower and more broad brushed).
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Speaking of the EPS, here's a comparison between the low locations on the 06z EPS and GEFS. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-central-mslp_with_low_locs-3548800.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-central-mslp_with_low_locs-3548800 (1).png

Classic underdispersion there with very little overlap between model systems but both of them pretty confident.