3/24-3/27 Midwest/Plains Colorado Low(s)

Okay, it's pretty certain at this point that this is going to happen and areas that desperately need moisture, are going to receive moisture whether it be rain or snow, so let's get a thread for this.

Euro4.png.39e9c58a3bf3f56fd6812610206ca34b.pngEuro5.png.570fbb2544253570d7738c80c1f94e51.png

I don't know how long it's been since I've seen a mean this wild on EPS this far out, about 10" over my area of MN and the first wave isn't set to hit for another week!

Euro6.png.b3c00bccbcfc32d2b656ca442c3d3d8f.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Latest NBM definitely painting a consistent picture of the heaviest totals being just north of my area. Although, this is a slight shift south when compared to a few runs ago. 

I'm secretly hoping that we get a huge snowstorm next Sunday/Monday so I don't end up having to fly out to Seattle. It's a long shot, but certainly still possible.

nbm-conus-ncentus-total_snow-1713600.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Minny_Weather said:

Okay, it's pretty certain at this point that this is going to happen and areas that desperately need moisture, are going to receive moisture whether it be rain or snow, so let's get a thread for this.

Euro4.png.39e9c58a3bf3f56fd6812610206ca34b.pngEuro5.png.570fbb2544253570d7738c80c1f94e51.png

I don't know how long it's been since I've seen a mean this wild on EPS this far out, about 10" over my area of MN and the first wave isn't set to hit for another week!

Euro6.png.b3c00bccbcfc32d2b656ca442c3d3d8f.png

Sending + Vibes your way and all your friends in the Upper MW that will welcome this moisture anyway it comes!  Of course, I'm sure many will be busting out the snow magnet.  Good luck bud!

• Like 3

Latest ICON looking a bit more "realistic" in it's snow totals, with much less 20+ inch readings. 

A portion of this is due to the neutering of the Thursday clipper but even the Sunday/Monday system is also quite a bit different. Still lots to iron out with this thing.

trend-icon-2024031812-f168.snku_acc-imp.us_nc.gif

trend-icon-2024031812-f168.snku_024h-imp.us_nc.gif

• Like 1

Meanwhile, 12z Canadian looks a bit more reasonable.

If a situation like the GFS plays out, that's easily good enough for me to cancel my flight. If it's moreso along the lines of the CMC, it's going to be a tough call. 

C'mon GFS!!

gem-all-central-total_snow_kuchera-1519200.png

• Like 1

12z vs 00z Euro comparison on top, 12z Euro vs 12z CMC on bottom.

Overall, it continues to look a bit different than the other models on its progression. It keeps the heavier band further north on Sunday/Monday (although it is a shift south from its 00z run) and then comes in with a N/S oriented band on Monday/Tuesday. That secondary band is something that is barely even registering on the 12z CMC.

I'd put the GFS and CMC in one camp, although large differences certainly remain, while the ECMWF is slightly more off on its own. The ICON is somewhere in-between but more closely resembles the GFS/CMC camp. It will be interesting to see how this all progresses over the course of this week and which model will ultimately reign supreme.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

18z GFS definitely made a move towards the ECMWF solution.

gfs-deterministic-ncentus-total_snow_kuchera-1486800.png

I hope it continues that way. A southward trend would be a huge slap in the face to a lot of people in Minnesota.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

My biggest concern, of course, remains a south trend. That would rob me of some much-needed precip, while a north trend, I believe, would make everyone pretty happy. 

Honestly, if I receive fewer than 10" between the 2 storms, I might consider this a bust.

I always find it very hard to bet against the ECMWF when it is consistent. All the other models have flopped around between the different camps but the ECMWF has been pretty steadfast in its solution. Extremely early indications are it may be right yet again.

Exhibit #1 of why I find it incredibly hard to ever trust the GFS. From 22 inches to 2 inches between model runs just 24 hours apart. Meanwhile, the Euro runs which are 24 hours apart have only a difference of a few inches. Some other locations have a slightly larger change but nothing like the GFS. Pretty comical. 

trend-gfs-2024031912-f156.snku_acc-imp.us_nc.gif

trend-ecmwf_full-2024031900-f168.sn10_acc-imp.us_nc.gif

2 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Of course, then you have something like the CMC which is trying to put the generally outlandish GFS to shame. 

What in the love of God is this? 55 inches?? 30-40+ over a fairly large swath of area?? Huh??

image.png

And it's still snowing at this point in the run.  :D 

• lol 1

That is probably one of the snowiest runs I have ever witnessed for my backyard. Unfortunately, given the other models movement towards the lesser/more north Euro solution, I have to think the CMC is just late to the game and will eventually move that way as well. But I guess you never know!

That being said, something might be funky with the GFS/ECMWF OP runs. The 12z GEFS mean is an increase over both the 00z and 06z runs and shows 10+ more inches here than the OP run does. This is a similar discrepancy as with the ECMWF/EPS pairing.

Hard to say if it's a resolution problem or something else. Looking at the member low locations, it appears the ensembles haven't fully bought into the secondary, further north low that the OPs are picking up on. Hmmmm...

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Minny_Weather said:

Okay that explains it... On Euro, snow begins falling on Sunday morning at midnight and doesn't stop until 7am Wednesday morning lol

Reel it in:..