May 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

There have been plenty of significant ridgy periods this spring. It’s been a nice balance of weather on the whole this year so far. Seems there are a handful of folks here who will whine shrilly whenever we are experiencing anything but wall to wall record warmth.

Its been troughy and colder than normal most of the time since last week of April and will continue in June.   I can count... that is 6 weeks in which troughing has been clearly dominate with a one week break.   That is fact.   Although I know some on here get all shrilly and complain if its not 100% troughing 100% of the time.    

• lol 1
  • Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

There have been plenty of significant ridgy periods this spring. It’s been a nice balance of weather on the whole this year so far. Seems there are a handful of folks here who will whine shrilly whenever we are experiencing anything but wall to wall record warmth.

DeepFriedEgg and Sunriver Snow Zone dude would have full on mental breakdowns if JJA were to finish near the 1991-2020 average. Can’t imagine what another 1954 type summer would do.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Phil 1
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Just as I predicted last week, we could finally start to clear up at 6pm day 3 of the holiday weekend…And the sun made an appearance about an hour ago for about 5 minutes! 

• Excited 1
  • Sad 2
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Here are some fun facts from the UHI infested hot spot of SEA... today was the 12th colder than normal day in a row.   All kinds of variety lately.   Many different kinds of cold.  Also the 26th colder than normal day in the last 34 days.   

Can't wait for the offset.   It will be a nice change.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

A good number of posters here would have a full on mental breakdown if JJA were to finish near the 1991-2020 average. Can’t imagine what another 1954 type summer would do.

OMG no!!   Just travel dude.  Hop over the mountains.   We are hour away from a desert landscape here in NB.   The wonders of our micro climates!    We could also go live with my wife's parents for July and August.   They would love the help and I can work from anywhere.    😀

22 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Eh you’ll do the same at the first sign of ridging. Tim is in his pissy mode right now and you did the same during the ridgier periods earlier. It’s been a fairly climo and nicely variable spring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 3
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

4 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

Eh you’ll do the same at the first sign of ridging. Tim is in his pissy mode right now and you did the same during the ridgier periods earlier. It’s been a fairly climo and nicely variable spring. 

Et tu, Bruduck.

• lol 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Just now, DareDuck said:

Eh you’ll do the same at the first sign of ridging. Tim is in his pissy mode right now and you did the same during the ridgier periods earlier. It’s been a fairly climo and nicely variable string. 

I guess that's fair.   May and June are my weakness for sure.   I don't need it to be hot and its doesn't need to be dry... but would be nice to mix in at least a couple warmer than normal days every week.    We will probably be at 3 weeks straight colder than normal by the middle of next week.  

This month has been much warmer than 2010 and 2022 in the PNW. Not too far off from average, actually.

IMG_3224.pngIMG_3225.png

• Like 3
  • Phil 1
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

And I guess if you only focus on a ridiculous outlier station like PDX you might not realize that western WA has been running consistently cold.

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Et tu, Bruduck.

😂 Sorry man. Let’s enjoy this while we can. I’ve actually been down in Florida melting the last 10 days so I’m very happy to be returning to a pleasant day in the 60s the next couple days. 

• Like 2

Bend, OR

Snow History:

2017/2018 Winter Temps

I would be a pretty happy camper if climate change was inordinately shifting things in my favor more and more with each passing year. The warm misers get to enjoy that peace of mind but still find endless things to complain about.

Human nature is an interesting thing.

• Weenie 2

Just now, Phil said:

This month has been much warmer than 2010 and 2022 in the PNW. too far off from average, actually.

IMG_3224.pngIMG_3225.png

Yes Phil... we had a heat spike for a couple days that skewed the monthly average.   Cold is winning May by a long shot in terms of duration.   

Just now, DareDuck said:

😂 Sorry man. Let’s enjoy this while we can. I’ve actually been down in Florida melting the last 10 days so I’m very happy to be returning to a pleasant day in the 60s the next couple days. 

Hopefully the false equivalence express makes for a safe and speedy journey! 🚆 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

Tim’s in-laws will laugh at you for this take.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

So did all of mine watching my sweat the last week. I told them come to central OR in the winter and we’ll see who’s laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

Bend, OR

Snow History:

2017/2018 Winter Temps

I forgot the mean trough position stayed in the west for the entire summer in 2010. For some reason I thought it flipped ridgy in July.

The pattern must’ve been stuck that year. No course correction following the cold spring like 2022.IMG_3226.pngIMG_3227.pngIMG_3228.png

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I would be a pretty happy camper if climate change was inordinately shifting things in my favor more and more with each passing year. The warm misers get to enjoy that peace of mind but still find endless things to complain about.

Human nature is an interesting thing.

I loved having to look at dead trees for the last 2 years.   We might eventually move because of increased heat and fire danger.  Inordinately in whose favor?   Get off your moral high ground BS soapbox.   You are just a grain of sand like the rest of us and the climate will probably still be warming long after we are dust which will be in the blink of an eye to the planet.   

Although in more short term... hopefully the next president doesn't roll us back 20 years. At least that is something in our control.   

• scream 1

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

No... they think Florida in the summer is pretty silly too!  Like most people.   Minnesota is much better at that time of year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

Trust me, it will feel amazing when you are back. I was in Aruba for a week and the heat index didn’t drop below 95 there the entire time. Luckily it was windy most of the time but when it wasn’t windy it was really hot.

• Like 3

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 21

Number of 85+ days - 17

Number of 90+ days - 3

Number of 95+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 96)

Number of 60+ lows - 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I loved having to look at dead trees for the last 2 years.   We might eventually move because of increased heat and fire danger.  Inordinately in whose favor?   Get off your moral high ground BS soapbox.   You are just a grain of sand like the rest of us and the climate will probably still be warming long after we are dust which will be in the blink of an eye to the planet.   

Although in more short term... hopefully the next president doesn't roll us back 20 years. At least that is something in our control.   

I don’t think the latter is in our control either. Both candidates are walking corpses and will be the laughing stock of the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Phil said:

I don’t think the latter is in our control either. Both candidates are walking corpses and will be the laughing stock of the world.

Yes... but one is still on a vendetta tour while the other one doesn't know what day it is.  Big difference.   I was thinking specifically about clean energy initiatives.   But maybe those things just keep happening at the same pace regardless of who is in power.   

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... but one is still on a vendetta tour while the other one doesn't know what day it is.  Big difference.   I was thinking specifically about clean energy initiatives.   But maybe those things just keep happening at the same pace regardless of who is in power.   

Nuclear is the only viable bridge to a carbon neutral future it/o energy. All clean energy initiatives are a road to nowhere without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Popcorn 1

32 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

So did all of mine watching my sweat the last week. I told them come to central OR in the winter and we’ll see who’s laughing. 

For sure LOL, I'm always careful when I complain about our heat to my family in the south, or talking about how cold it gets in a Frasier outflow when talking to family in Montana.  The weather here has its moments, but all in all we have it pretty good.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

Tim's tantrum periods are far worse than anyone else's just to be clear.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Now Matt’s going to try to use what I just said to him as proof to the contrary

All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

#we’reallkindaboring

• Phil 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

DeepFriedEgg and Sunriver Snow Zone dude would have full on mental breakdowns if JJA were to finish near the 1991-2020 average. Can’t imagine what another 1954 type summer would do.

1954 and 1955 were both insanely cold summers.  August 1955 was very noteworthy in that it was sunnier than normal and still one of the coldest of the century.  What I would give to see one like that!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

16 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Now Matt’s going to try to use what I just said to him as proof to the contrary

All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

#we’reallkindaboring

😀

I wouldn't be going by anything that Chris says.   You know this of course.

29 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Show me a tantrum buddy.   Doesn't happen.  But regardless of the weather... I will call out BS when I see it.  

I am pretty sure you are much closer to tantrums in reality... just seething at ways to get me!   You can't help but show your cards.

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Show me a tantrum buddy.   Doesn't happen.  But regardless of the weather... I will call out BS when I see it.  

I am pretty sure you are much closer to tantrums in reality... just seething at ways to get me!   You can't help but show your cards.

alan-wilder-depeche-mode.gif

You been in a tantrum state all weekend when you post, on the political thread, this thread, probably at home.....  you been lecturing people all weekend on their opinions, comments, statements, preferences, you always go the extra mile like you have been the past few days when the weather does not meet your preference.  Remember, we are all specks of sand and nothing really matters, as you say, practice what you preach.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Death Ridge 1

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You threw some epic tantrums back in the early 2010s, but not so much in recent years. You actually held up surprisingly well in May/June 2022, at least better than I thought you would. 🙂

• Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

You threw some epic tantrums back in the early 2010s, but not so much in recent years. You actually held up surprisingly well in May/June 2022, at least better than I thought you would. 🙂

😀

May and the first half of June in 2010 was pretty stressful.    New baby so I was definitely sleep deprived.    And it rained for 30 days straight.   But April-June of 2022 made 2010 look like child's play.    You helped in 2022 by saying it would be a 1999 type summer so my expectations were set very low!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1