The Weather Forums

Washington State Weather Discussion

Washington State Weather Discussion

A topic to discuss all the weather related news and info in Washington State.  From the west coast, to the eastern rolling hills.  From the depths of the Columbia to the heights of the Cascades!  This topic is for all of Washington State and the diverse environs within!

Currently 62F and very cloudy with some light misting.

We all really need this rain, especially the firefighters.   The forecast is trending cooler, at least for Everett and the north Puget Sound, for the rest of the week.  Let's hope it stays cool and gets wetter.  No 80F days shown and rain is now popping up more than just one day. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 4.30.53 PM.png

Well this is unfortunate.

The Twenty-Five Mile fire near Lake Chelan has burned over 9,000 acres now and is 0% contained.

[url=https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/level-3-evacuation-orders-issued-twenty-five-mile-fire/3SZDFNTANZADXODOWVTUTOADWY/]Article from KIRO 7[/URL]

On a positive note, forecasting models do seem to show cooler weather coming.  Hopefully we get some precipitation to help bring these fires down. 

I was told to maybe post this in another topic.  So trying it out.

In short, last Sunday I grabbed the weather forecasts from Seattle's top television news stations and I am simply comparing what they predicted, to what actually happened.  Here are the results for Friday.

NORTHWEST FORECAST CHAMPIONSHIP UPDATE

Seattle ended at 64/57 on Friday officially.  Let's check out how everyone did.  If they were too hot, I have a + and the number.  Too cold is a - and the number.  If correct they got an = sign.

OFFICIAL TOTALS: S - 82/60 M - 75/57 T - 67/54 W - 76/53 T - 78/56 F - 64/57 

KING

S- 84/60 +2/=

M- 74/59 -1/+2

T- 73/57 +6/+3

W- 82/60 +6/+7

T- 83/61 +5/+5

F- 86/62 +22/+5

S- 89/63

KOMO

S- 82/61 =/+1

M- 73/56 -2/-1

T- 73/57 +6/+3

W- 83/59 +7/+6

T- 79/60 +1/+4

F- 81/60 +17/+3

S- 78/59

KIRO

S- 83/60 +1/=

M- 72/55 -3/-2

T- 71/56 +4/+2

W- 78/59 +2/+6

T- 79/58 +1/+2

F- 78/59 +14/+2

S- 77/59 

S- 75/57

Q13

S- 83/61 +1/+1

M- 73/56 -2/-1

T- 73/57 +6/+3

W- 80/59 +4/+6

T- 79/59 +1/+3

F- 80/60 +16/+3

S- 77/59

S- 77/58

WEATHERUNDER

S- 81/61 -1/+1

M- 73/55 -2/-2

T- 72/56 +5/+2

W- 79/59 +3/+6

T- 79/59 +1/+3

F- 80/59 +15/+2

S- 77/57

S- 77/58

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

A spectacular bust across the board for yesterday. Today will likely be the same.

Curious to know where you get your “official” number from? NWS had 66 for high for SEA yesterday. 

It is from Seatac International Airport.  The official station used for Seattle (for some reason). 

4 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

It is from Seatac International Airport.  The official station used for Seattle (for some reason). 

Right, I understand that, I’m talk about which source? Like which source recorded a 64? Because NWS recorded 66F at SEA yesterday. 

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KSEA&p=temperature&mon=8&wfo=sew&year=2021

12 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

It would appears you used Wunderground for your data for yesterday, that's where the 64 came from! I would not use that website much as the degree of variability may be off as I mentioned yesterday. 

Use the NWS/NOAA sites. 

1) Monthly/daily data https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KSEA&p=temperature&mon=8&wfo=sew&year=2021

2) Minutes/hourly data: https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=KSEA&num=168&banner=NONE&hfmetars=1

• 2 months later...

A wild weather day.  It started out unassuming, sunny and beautiful.   Then the wind came, sideways dumping rain, then it cleared up, got sunny again, then more rain, then it cleared up with a rainbow, then it got foggy and rainy, and it just kept going on and on like that. I reduced the image size so they won't take up so much site memory. 

2021-py.jpg

20y.jpg

Also check out these totally weird clouds.  Looking towards the Cascade Mountains and Everett, you can see them do a wave like shape.  They look to be between Everett and the Cascades, so maybe within the Snohomish Valley and up through Marysville and Arlington.  Very strange shape and they were mostly connected as one long motion.  Do these clouds have a name, anyone know what they are or how they are created?  I can only assume something to do with the topography.  They seemed to be moving north, while the clouds in the sky above we pushing eastward towards the mountains.

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9375.JPG

DSCN9376.JPG

DSCN9380.JPG

DSCN9377.JPG

DSCN9374.JPG

DSCN9379.JPG

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

• Like 4
  • scream 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, NWbyNW said:

Also check out these totally weird clouds.  Looking towards the Cascade Mountains and Everett, you can see them do a wave like shape.  They look to be between Everett and the Cascades, so maybe within the Snohomish Valley and up through Marysville and Arlington.  Very strange shape and they were mostly connected as one long motion.  Do these clouds have a name, anyone know what they are or how they are created?  I can only assume something to do with the topography.  They seemed to be moving north, while the clouds in the sky above we pushing eastward towards the mountains.

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9375.JPG

DSCN9376.JPG

DSCN9380.JPG

DSCN9377.JPG

DSCN9374.JPG

DSCN9379.JPG

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

Stratus weirdus

• lol 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, NWbyNW said:

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9375.JPG

DSCN9376.JPG

DSCN9380.JPG

DSCN9377.JPG

DSCN9374.JPG

DSCN9379.JPG

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

Great pics... I have never seen anything like that before.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

On 11/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, TT-SEA said:

Great pics... I have never seen anything like that before.  

On 11/17/2021 at 7:58 AM, Mr Marine Layer said:

Stratus weirdus

I have actually seen some similar low clouds a few times after a storm along the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County, but not all shapes that were in the images above.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, Dan the Weatherman said:

I have actually seen some similar low clouds a few times after a storm along the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County, but not all shapes that were in the images above.

Oh, interesting.  I am curious as if anyone knows what they are called.  They might be something that forms at the base of mountain ranges?  Hmm. 

On 11/23/2021 at 11:18 PM, NWbyNW said:

Oh, interesting.  I am curious as if anyone knows what they are called.  They might be something that forms at the base of mountain ranges?  Hmm. 

Those are lenticular clouds! It's the same type of cloud as whenever you see Mt Rainier or Mt Baker with what looks like a "hat" on top. These form as a result of wind moving over mountains, however it's extremely rare to see them on the relatively low parts of the Cascades like in your pictures. I saw some pictures from the same day of some lenticular clouds over the Olympics, which is similarly rare, but I hadn't seen any from this section of the Cascades yet. Very nice capture! Definitely save these pics, because it could be years before you ever see that again here.