Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Nebraska/Kansas/Anyone not Chicago Complaint Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Snowlover76

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE
Money says to stop bitching. We aren't supposed to hit our average here.

Snowlover76

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Oh I'm sorry, we're not allowed to complain in the complaints thread? Did you even read the content of my posts?

I'd like to see him last out here.

ToastedRavs

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

ToastedRavs

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationCumming, IA

I'd like to see him last out here.

I've lived in worse places than Nebraska. You all think you have it bad. Try living in West Texas. Or on the wrong side of cold air damning. Or on the coast where a nor Easter can bring you misery or joy. You all have no clue what it's like in a true snow hole. I just laugh at the bi polarness of this forum. It's gotten out of control the past two years. I have just learned to not care. I work in a field that's weather related, and not caring one way or the other is a much healthier lifestyle. You can't control it and can't predict it 100%, so no use complaining about it. Took me a long time to learn that but I have. Here's hoping everyone gets some snow to make the ground white at least
  • Madtown likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

LNK_Weather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)

I've lived in worse places than Nebraska. You all think you have it bad. Try living in West Texas. Or on the wrong side of cold air damning. Or on the coast where a nor Easter can bring you misery or joy. You all have no clue what it's like in a true snow hole. I just laugh at the bi polarness of this forum. It's gotten out of control the past two years. I have just learned to not care. I work in a field that's weather related, and not caring one way or the other is a much healthier lifestyle. You can't control it and can't predict it 100%, so no use complaining about it. Took me a long time to learn that but I have. Here's hoping everyone gets some snow to make the ground white at least

I came here from Texas, and frankly I'd rather live there when it comes to Winter. At least back in Houston you know what to expect out of Winter. No such things as getting your hopes up. And this is a COMPLAINTS thread. So telling us to not complain is pointless and will only get us on your back more.
  • jaster220 likes this

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 5.6"

ToastedRavs

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

ToastedRavs

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationCumming, IA

I came here from Texas, and frankly I'd rather live there when it comes to Winter. At least back in Houston you know what to expect out of Winter. No such things as getting your hopes up. And this is a COMPLAINTS thread. So telling us to not complain is pointless and will only get us on your back more.

Perhaps you should adjust what you expect out of winter in Nebraska!? Seems like many on here think every year going to be above average. That's not how averages work. I think 99% know that, but seems like its happy or pissed off from model run to model run. That is my biggest beef. Maybe if more people didn't rely on each run like it's do or die as far as what they get. Just my .02. this is a complaints thread. I get it. I just choose to complain about the complaints. 😉
  • FV-Mike likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

LNK_Weather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Perhaps you should adjust what you expect out of winter in Nebraska!? Seems like many on here think every year going to be above average. That's not how averages work. I think 99% know that, but seems like its happy or pissed off from model run to model run. That is my biggest beef. Maybe if more people didn't rely on each run like it's do or die as far as what they get. Just my .02. this is a complaints thread. I get it. I just choose to complain about the complaints. 😉

Like I said earlier, the averages have gone down over the past few years due to awful Winters. And our past two above average winters, which were not recent by the way, were above average due to late Spring slushfests.

Money

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7186 posts

This x 100

LNK_Weather

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

LNK_Weather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
Now if there is ONE THING I agree with, it's living and dying by each model run. It's dumb. And I'm not gonna be a hypocrite, I'm guilty of that too.
  • ToastedRavs likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

LNK_Weather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
Also, we do not expect each and every Winter to be good. That's a bad assumption. We expect at least one Winter to be above our heavily lowered average for once. I guess we can't ask for that!

Money

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7186 posts

Also, we do not expect each and every Winter to be good. That's a bad assumption. We expect at least one Winter to be above our heavily lowered average for once. I guess we can't ask for that!

You contradicted yourself in that post

“We expect one winter to be above our average”
“We do not expect each and every winter to be good.”

LNK_Weather

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

LNK_Weather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

You contradicted yourself in that post

“We expect one winter to be above our average”
“We do not expect each and every winter to be good.”

Not really. What I meant is none of us expect every year to be super duper awesome. We just want one above average year and that'll shut us up for a couple years. I don't see how that's contradictory?

Snowlover76

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE
I love how you guys get so worked up over our frustrations. 8 of the last 10 winters have sucked. You guys know nothing

Snowlover76

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Snowlover76

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

This x 100

Awesome post dbag

jaster220

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:56 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse Jan '14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3942 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

IF i have any complaint (besides the Euro showing feet of snow for mby several runs in a row turning into a whiff-turd) it's these d*mned roaster thaws. How is it winter when you build up a 15-20" snow cover but can't keep the ground from going bare during the two core months of winter?? 

Winter 2017-18 Snow Total = 32.0"  Oct: 0.0 Nov: 0.0 Dec: 24.2 Jan: 7.8 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0 (annual avg for mby = ~49.9", avg for last 10 seasons = 67.4" ) 135% of normal-what a stretch it's been!!

Winter 2015-16 Snow Total = 52"

Winter 2015-16 Snow Total = 57.4"

Winter 2014-15 Snow Total = 55.3"

Winter 2013-14 Snow Total = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!) 

Winter 2012-13 Snow Total = 47.2"

Winter 2011-12 Snow Total = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

"Long range winter forecasting - it's like tossing darts in a hurricane.."  "In my day, they didn't name 'em, they just called 'em blizzards! *Shakes fist in air and ambles away mumbling to himself" and to think kids nowadays get day's off school because the wind blew. I think in '78 we only got 1 day off”  "..It's the U.P. where there are two seasons. Winter, and three months of bad skiing.."

OKwx2k4

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

OKwx2k4

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2282 posts
I can safely say now that I have succumbed to the snowless depression of freezing rain on dead brown leaves. I need snow. I really really really really need snow. That's all. Carry on...
  • jaster220 likes this