Hot or cold?

Hot or cold  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If man were to somehow find a way to take complete control of the weather and a dictator took control of the world, and he gave you 2 choices for the weather every single day for the rest of your life, which would you pick?

• Always sunny with low humidity and a high of 105 degrees every day
    • Always overcast and damp with a high of 55 degrees every day, but never any significant rain.

This is like voting for Trump vs. Hillary. Many people voted for Hillary, not because they loved Hillary, but hated Trump. Many voted for Trump, not because they loved Trump, but hated Hillary.

Some people hate hot weather more than cold weather. Some people hate cold weather more than hot weather. Which do you hate more?

It depends on access to water.   I don't like walking or sitting in hot weather, but I go to places like the Zion Narrows on 105 degree days.  A swimming pool is nice when it's 105 too.

If I'm not in the water, I'd take the second choice.

OK, I've edited the poll choices to say low humidity for the first one. 90 with East Coast humidity can be quite miserable, but 105 in Palm Springs or Phoenix prior to monsoon season can be bearable in the shade, at least for me because something is probably wrong with my body. 

I've heard people say, however, that 110 and bone dry is more bearable then 90 with a dew point of 75. 

This is like that game "would you rather". Two extremes that would both be awful, even ignoring the real-world consequences of no seasons (or precip in the hot scenario).

I like cool damp weather and I like warm sunny weather. Really glad there is no reason to pick one or the other, or one type of any weather :)

A forum for the end of the world.

OK, I've edited the poll choices to say low humidity for the first one. 90 with East Coast humidity can be quite miserable, but 105 in Palm Springs or Phoenix prior to monsoon season can be bearable in the shade, at least for me because something is probably wrong with my body.

I've heard people say, however, that 110 and bone dry is more bearable then 90 with a dew point of 75.

Having experienced both, I concur. They both suck, but at least your sweat can evaporatively cool your body when it’s dry. Especially in the shade, there’s a huge difference.

When it’s humid, your sweat just doesn’t evaporate, so that cooling mechanism fails. Plus you end up soaked in your own juices. No bueno.

Though, I think dry heat can be more dangerous because of how dehydration can sneak up on you. It happened to me on more than one occasion when I was in Arizona. You don’t realize you’re sweating buckets and dropping water until you start getting dizzy. And when that happens, you’d better have fast access to water, or else it can get ugly fast.

At least with humid heat, you’re not losing water as quickly, and you’re drenched and miserable enough to make a conscious effort to drink more in the first place.

I didn’t realize Dewey was getting a roommate in his stratospheric duplex.

It’s a simple, silly question. Obviously life as we know it would cease to exist on this planet if either scenario were to happen. Just like voting for Trump or Clinton.

Doesn’t mean you can’t come down with the rest of us monkeys and choose one.

I didn't vote for Clinton or Trump. ;)

Yes, it's just a silly question that I see no reason to answer. It serves no purpose other than highlighting the preferences we already know exist. But like the hyperbole so often present on here, it's not attached to reality.

But hey, I hope everyone participating finds it fun and informative. No judgement.

I didn't vote for Clinton or Trump. ;)

Yes, it's just a silly question that I see no reason to answer. It serves no purpose other than highlighting the preferences we already know exist. But like the hyperbole so often present on here, it's not attached to reality.

But hey, I hope everyone participating finds it fun and informative. No judgement.

Neither did I.

Aside from that, I am simply in awe of your maturity right now.

• Like 1

Always sunny with low humidity and a high of 105 degrees every day.

This is a no brainer for me. I like to go shirtless as much as possible in the summer time here in the PNW when I'm outside away from work. I need the sun to survive. The sun produces vitamin D.

Aside from the fact that nearly every plant on earth would die, it would be awesome.

Much better chance of survival for some with 55 and moist. ;)

Guest happ

I haven't voted yet; maybe don't have the courage.  Childhood in Central Valley; the late afternoon heat was intense but we stayed in swimming pools/ creeks/ had fun. Swamp coolers and no car A/C meant suffering. Cool and cloudy definitely has appeal. 

Aside from the fact that nearly every plant on earth would die, it would be awesome.

Wait...I thought the idea was to ignore reality and just go with your gut on this one? It works for forecasting!

But what if you HAD to chose ONE?

I am curious.

Well... 105 and sunny every single day would destroy our environment in a hurry.    There would be nothing left but stands of dead trees in every direction.

55 and cloudy every day would not do that.   At least not as quickly.    We could survive that.   Although this choice also says no significant rain so eventually everything would still die.  

Both choices would be terrible.   But this is basically a choice between being annoying cool or set on fire... so I guess I would have to pick annoying cool.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I was being serious by making another joke?

So confusing.

A joke, the premise of which was that my comment was serious. ;)

I know this semantics stuff is your favorite and you’ve been itching to get in it with someone all week, so I’ll leave it there.

Plants need as much sun as they do water in order to survive. Without sunlight plants wouldn't be able to make chlorophyll.

I'll take 105 with low humidity and then cool off in the ocean afterwards every night. Plus it wouldn't be 105 all day long just the high of the day, at night temperatures would fall and you will get a nice cooling effect at night especially with the low humidity.

Plants don't use sunlight to "make chlorophyll". They use chlorophyll to harness sunlight and make sugars. Photosynthesis.

Sunlight makes it through the clouds just fine for plants to grow. There is a reason some of the world's greatest forests are generally in cloudy, damp areas. I.e. the west slope of the Olympic mountains, or the Amazon. 

• Like 1

Cacti are plants too, you bigot.

Well... 105 and sunny every single day would destroy our environment in a hurry. There would be nothing left but stands of dead trees in every direction.

55 and cloudy every day would not do that. At least not as quickly. We could survive that. Although this choice also says no significant rain so eventually everything would still die.

Both choices would be terrible. But this is basically a choice between being annoying cool or set on fire... so I guess I would have to pick annoying cool.

Who are you, and what have you done with Tim?

Plants don't use sunlight to "make chlorophyll". They use chlorophyll to harness sunlight and make sugars. Photosynthesis.

Sunlight makes it through the clouds just fine for plants to grow. There is a reason some of the world's greatest forests are generally in cloudy, damp areas. I.e. the west slope of the Olympic mountains, or the Amazon. 

Yeah I always forget the process in which plants use their chlorophyll to absorb the sunlight. It's been several years since I'm taken biology in college. Plants make food through photosynthesis, which wouldn't happen without the energy from the sun.

Well we are talking about humans here. Of course you can get sunlight through clouds, they always say you can get a sunburn when it's cloudy out. For me and other people we need to see the sun. I'm more happy when I see blue skies and the bright sun shining down upon me when I'm outside.

I'd be a lot happier if it was 32 degrees or less and cold but I'd much rather have cold and cloudy over that much heat.  72 is nice, even 80s and low 90s, but when you're not used to the heat, over 100 even with low humidity is just more uncomfortable than chilly and gloomy, IMO.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Its a stupid poll... just being factual.

But possibly realistic.  

Perhaps the best realistic poll pertaining to the above would be:

Would you rather spend the summer in Eureka California or Phoenix Arizona?   Although not exact, the description of both places in the summer (or much of the summer) are pretty close to the choices in the poll.  

Eureka in July

Average high/low = 62/52

Average July temp = 57

Usually overcast and cloudy

Average precipitation = 0.15 inches (almost never any significant rain in summer)

Phoenix mid June to mid July

Average high temperature = 105

Usually sunny with low humidity and little rain (the monsoon usually doesn't kick off until mid-July).  

Of course the above are only for part of the year.   In the tropics or sub-tropics you could probably find locations that match the descriptions pretty well year round.  

Some of the highlands around Lima Peru could match the first description (around 55 degrees year round, usually overcast, but with very little precipitation), while places in Chad would fit the other description (high temperatures pretty close to 105 year round with lots of sunshine and little precipitation).