December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Sometimes that works better than others... this is clearly not one of those times.   When all 3 models settled on a bad solution this morning then I thought it was becoming clear.    Now as clear as mud.

To be fair, so did I. I gave about 2% chance of anything decent in December happening, because 98% of the time, when the models all lock in on a pattern this close, that's what ends up happening.

Pure insanity. Hopefully we don't all wake up tomorrow to an announcement from the NWS that global models all had a massive data error tonight.

A forum for the end of the world.

FWIW...temp dropped from 55º to 46º here in Portland in 22 minutes. Decently strong cold front. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

00z Review
Thoughts: Who the hell knows anymore. We've seen crazy model swings many times before, flip/flops from run to run, but 12z to 00z today may take the cake(If the fat kid who loves cake hadn't already), but seriously, The differences on the 12z ECMWF/GFS to 00z is astounding, if not absurdly so. We have amazing potential for a prolonged arctic blast, and yet at the same time it could completely flop the other way becoming progressive again. It's encouraging that the GFS Ensembles have improved. I am eager to know how ECMWF Ensembles look tonight. Onto 6z/12z(especially) tomorrow

• Like 1

If the ECMWF were to verify verbatim we would be talking about a pretty dramatic enhanced inversion. Perfect surface pressure gradients to maintain cold once the legitimate cold moves away at the mid and upper levels. This first round of cold could easily end up being the appetizer though.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A number of cold members on tonight's ensemble after the retrogression during week two. Some look really snowy too. No doubt there is a very obvious retrogression trend showing up on tonight's run. Could be a solid two to three weeks of cold weather coming up.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

FWIW my temp has gone from 53 to 41 since about 5pm today... Raining. Anyone jealous?

You could easily see it go to snow by morning.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If the ECMWF were to verify verbatim we would be talking about a pretty dramatic enhanced inversion. Perfect surface pressure gradients to maintain cold once the legitimate cold moves away at the mid and upper levels. This first round of cold could easily end up being the appetizer though.

Sounds familiar! #drycold

A number of cold members on tonight's ensemble after the retrogression during week two. Some look really snowy too. No doubt there is a very obvious retrogression trend showing up on tonight's run. Could be a solid two to three weeks of cold weather coming up.

There is nothing but doubt right now. No doubt about it!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pretty stunning how may really cold ensembles there are for the cold snap early next week.  This still has potential to go further than tonight's runs indicated.  Pretty easy to see where cold snap number 2 could emerge also.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The new 00z UKMET looks great!

Wowzers!  That is purdy!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The thing I like about all of these solutions is a lot of surface high pressure remains over the ocean which means the offshore flow will kept much weaker.  For most areas that will mean better decoupling. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Starting to have some slush mixing in at my place! And wow what a difference in model runs today, crazy stuff! Guess we will see what roller coaster we will have tomorrow with the Christmas Eve 12z's!

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

-
More real time, with some amount of extrapolation. (General speculation.)

http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/globalir.html. Dial up the 30 frame animation potential here. Or check whatever other general resource covering the same idea, however. 

http://www.fvalk.com/images/Day image/GOES-10-0000.jpg .0300z,-0600z,-0900z,-1200z,-1500z,-1800z,-2100z .@
http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n5&inv=0&t=cur
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/

Main ridging having developed over the past few dayswith colder air's both at the same time having been in general recession for the past few days, while also having been slowing its over-all pace and progress more eastward, …

… being punched through, with a lesser far south-reaching trough of cold air's current more direct south leaning direction (trajectory).

Along together with otherwise, stronger cold east of the Rockies, still having been allowed more significant access south, and with its spread and movement more directly south, working to "block" the progress of the greater flow (train.) of elements below colder and warmer either side of the Jet north and south, eastward.

That train and flow set to slow steadily, daily progressively more, over the next few to several days. Cold perhaps, able to stay within the main more northern tier of the mid-latitudes, where looked at more latitudinally. -http://www.proxigee.com/twitter_logo-t12.png

---

The GEM having 3 ridgy runs in a row should tell you something about the chances of this event going cold.. Even if it does go cold there is no snow potential except for tonight, so nothing to get excited over.

You should know that Arctic air always brings unforeseen possibilities for snow. I don't think the GEM having such crappy runs means a whole lot right now.  There is also the retrogression potential later on.

Besides...it's a whole lot better than the warm rain we've been seeing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

FWIW.. It is 38 degrees here at 500 ft with mixed snow and rain. I am out to pick my wife up from her shift at target and the snow and rain is a 50% mix. :)

That is great news. You're only a tad higher than I am. Still looks like a lot of heavy precip yet to come tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty stunning how may really cold ensembles there are for the cold snap early next week.  This still has potential to go further than tonight's runs indicated.  Pretty easy to see where cold snap number 2 could emerge also.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

Absolutely laughable how much colder the 00z Ensembles are for the weekend and early next week than the 18z ones were. Biggest swing inside 7 days I have ever seen.

1555299_10204728945775228_38811011324349

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

What's interesting is that all models are showing a tanked EPO, but the colder models are no longer advertising -AO. This goes to show that the most important driver for significant Arctic air into the CONUS is a -EPO blocking ridge. -AO, or an Arctic block, can help dislodge some of the coldest air, but a -EPO is usually essential in directing it towards us.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.