December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

This is pretty amazing!

12466235_919723614776876_879775770477972

1948 of all years.  No way anyone can say this Nino is business as usual.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Right on schedule.  The wind really starting blowing down around Portland and it's dying here.  Looking forward to a few very nippy days as the atmosphere decouples.  Not that is all that warm now....

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just got back from my cabin. About 18 inches of snow. I was shocked how cold it got last night. 10 below! !

It appear Central and Eastern WA have really over performed with this cold snap.  I saw it was 11 in Ellensburg at 1pm today and there are many other examples of numbers they would normally see with an Arctic outbreak.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hit 30.5 today, down to 29.4 already. No snow melt today even in the sun. My driveway is effed. I have packed snow and ice over gravel... And a Christmas party Saturday, I'm probably going to be pulling cars out of my driveway.

Cancel it.  Christmas is over.  

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Hit 30.5 today, down to 29.4 already. No snow melt today even in the sun. My driveway is effed. I have packed snow and ice over gravel... And a Christmas party Saturday, I'm probably going to be pulling cars out of my driveway.

That is why we shoveled so throughly... of course we have pavement as well. :)

No melting here either. A solid 6 inches of snow on the ground everywhere. There is no difference in the sun or shade. Makes this cold period so much more enjoyable with a snowy landscape. Not used to having snow on the ground for so long without rain to ruin it... and now it's even sunny to boot. One of the best winter periods in years here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cant believe how much snow the polaris will go thru.

So amazing!!! And so jealous! One day I will have my cabin in the middle of nowhere as well!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Cant believe how much snow the polaris will go thru.

Looks like winter has really hit over there.  I don't think there is anywhere I would rather live than Central or NE WA.  The winters are perfect there.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So amazing!!! And so jealous! One day I will have my cabin in the middle of nowhere as well!

For me I have to live there.  Just visiting doesn't do it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is why we shoveled so throughly... of course we have pavement as well. :)

No melting here either. A solid 6 inches of snow on the ground everywhere. There is no difference in the sun or shade. Makes this cold period so much more enjoyable with a snowy landscape. Not used to having snow on the ground for so long without rain to ruin it... and now it's even sunny to boot. One of the best winter periods in years here.

I'm new to the high elevation game, won't make that mistake again.

For me I have to live there. Just visiting doesn't do it.

Unless we win the lotto (which could happen) both my wife and I will need to work for a long time yet so leaving civilization full time isn't an option but leaving civilization part time IS an option once all of our debt is soon paid off.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Pretty chilly pattern shown on the 18z centered around day 8 now.  No sign of any dying warm front hell yet.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Unless we win the lotto (which could happen) both my wife and I will need to work for a long time yet so leaving civilization full time isn't an option but leaving civilization part time IS an option once all of our debt is paid off soon.

There are some cities east of the mountains.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There are some cities east of the mountains.

True, but both my wife and I have established well paying jobs that would be tough to duplicate over there so our plan is to build wealth now so we have lots of options later on.

The ECMWF weeklies continue to show below normal heights over the NW during the second half of January.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I go there every other weekend. Its starting to feel like another home now.

Do you go as often in the summer as well? What is it, about a 4.5hr drive?

Do you go as often in the summer as well? What is it, about a 4.5hr drive?

yes I go about same year round. 6 hr drive.I makeit a 3 day weekend. I absolutely love it there. Going to start building a small home nrxt summer and plan to retire there in 7 years at age 50.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

yes I go about same year round. 6 hr drive.I makeit a 3 day weekend. I absolutely love it there. Going to start building a small home nrxt summer and plan to retire there in 7 years at age 50.

Gotcha, 6hrs still isn't bad. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps, when did you get your property over there? I'm 39 now and really want to establish something somewhere on the east side (most likely somewhere off of HWY 2 or 20 on the east foothills) in the next 5yrs that will someday be a retirement spot but will act as a go to every other weekend like you do.

Gotcha, 6hrs still isn't bad. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps, when did you get your property over there? I'm 39 now and really want to establish something somewhere on the east side (most likely somewhere off of HWY 2 or 20 on the east foothills) in the next 5yrs that will someday be a retirement spot but will act as a go to every other weekend like you do.

ive had my 20 acres for 3 years. Start looking around cheesaw and republic. Good deals on land.I like this area because its not a tourist area and its almost always cold and dry. My high yesterday was 14.
  • Like 2

Already down to 28º here with a dp of 15º and strong east winds continuing on the West Hills crest. Even with all the drizzle we had a couple of days ago we still have an 1" or so of snow on the ground and it is locked into place now. Glad we were able to salvage at least some of our snow cover going into this inversion (cold snap?).

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Already 3 in Omak.

today when I was leaving my cabin there is a valley called torado creek that is always colder. Today at 11 am the truck thermometer said -14. This is about 25 miles east of tonaskat. Coldest day time reading I have ever seen in Washington so far in person.
  • Like 1

Heading to -20 tonight here in Rexburg, ID. Already down to -8. My high was 5 above after a low of -15 this morning.

Idaho Falls about 25 miles SW of here was the coldest ASOS in the lower 48 today with a high of 0.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

I got 200 acres near tonasket. Perfect for ww3.

I can't believe how many rich people are on this forum.  Or are you just kidding?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

today when I was leaving my cabin there is a valley called torado creek that is always colder. Today at 11 am the truck thermometer said -14. This is about 25 miles east of tonaskat. Coldest day time reading I have ever seen in Washington so far in person.

That is really impressive.  Is your truck thermometer pretty accurate?

I am really impressed with the numbers showing up east of the Cascades with this cold snap.  I think the West Side could come up with some nice readings over the next couple of days also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You dont have to be rich, just smart.

At IKEA they only have two sales a year  :lol:

Just being smart doesn't buy anything.

Oh...I just saw the second part...

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow!  I just saw how warm it is in the Yukon and Alaska right now.  Temps mostly above freezing in the interior of both.   Meanwhile -3 in Winthrop and 1 at Ellensburg.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9