July 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Man, what a fat, ugly, horrid-looking ridge. That's the very definition of death, just pure evil incarnate.

You have a flair for language... I will give you that!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Applies to everyone here.

I did not really want troughing in the July 1-10 period but it became obvious to me that it would happen while you were saying it would be ridgy until July 10-15.

The difference is, despite running a week slow, my overall idea was much closer to reality than yours. It's not even close.

Nailing down specific timing is mostly about luck, but forecasting systematic pattern progression is something more concrete.

• Like 1

The difference is, despite running a week slow, my overall idea was much closer to reality than yours. It's not even close.

Nailing down specific timing is mostly about luck, but forecasting systematic pattern progression is something more concrete.

So far so good on your outlook for this summer. I already gave you credit for that.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Very well said, and very true.

• Like 1

Jesse still refuses to tell us who is winning the summer forecast contest, the only truly objective test of LR forecasting prowess.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Subjective term. Do you mean heat?

Don't be dumb. Point is, we've achieved such statistical greatness amidst a pretty pedestrian pattern which has been fairly enjoyable for the masses. Kind of bolsters the position of the common sense police who had to respond here the last couple summers and reassure things would be okie dokie okay.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Jesse still refuses to tell us who is winning the summer forecast contest, the only truly objective test of LR forecasting prowess.

I'm sweating bullets, man. Soooo cruel.

Oh D**n. I keep forgetting about that. It's such a slow moving contest the pressure to tally isn't there as much as usual.

I will get it done before leaving to Montana Wednesday.

• Like 1

Don't be dumb. Point is, we've achieved such statistical greatness amidst a pretty pedestrian pattern which has been fiairly enjoyable for the masses. Kind of bolsters the position of the common sense police who had to respond here the last couple summers and reassure things would be okie dokie okay.

The last trough was pretty impressive. Subjective "enjoyability" has been more of a timing/luck thing. We could have been in deformation zone/muddy baseball diamond hell one or two of those days if things had tracked just a little differently.

The last trough was pretty impressive. Subjective "enjoyability" has been more of a timing/luck thing. We could have been in deformation zone/muddy baseball diamond hell one or two of those days if things had tracked just a little differently.

Luck?

Speaking of subjectivity...

00z ensembles are below average almost though the end of the run now.

Every hint toward near or even above average in the LR lately seems to get cooled as it moves into focus.attachicon.gifimage.png

If we can't score some big minuses out of that there's no hope.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

546 thickness in July is pretty far from pedestrian alright.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You mean the one last week or something? That was pretty crazy. It certainly felt like January out there with the rain... but I'm happy there are no brown spots on my lawn.

You mean the one last week or something? That was pretty crazy. It certainly felt like January out there with the rain... but I'm happy there are no brown spots on my lawn.

Yes, that one.

As Jim said, 546 thicknesses the second week of July is about as chilly as it gets at this point.

I can actually mow my weeds without stirring up a choking cloud of dust with my mower this summer.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

546 thickness in July is pretty far from pedestrian alright.

Don't think they dropped below 548-549dm or so, which isn't all that impressive for early July. A couple weeks from now they'd be more impressive.

Through d7, I think the 00z ECMWF solution makes the most sense. Wavenumber three pattern over the W-Hem.

If we can't score some big minuses out of that there's no hope.

FWIW, it's pretty tough to get daily anomalies greater than -6 or so this time of year. The record low max for SEA today is only about 10 degrees cooler than the average high. And if you get a high that cool, you're usually dealing with lots of clouds and mild low temps.

A forum for the end of the world.

FWIW, it's pretty tough to get daily anomalies greater than -6 or so this time of year. The record low max for SEA today is only about 10 degrees cooler than the average high. And if you get a high that cool, you're usually dealing with lots of clouds and mild low temps.

Very true, but somehow 1955 managed to average about 60 at SEA.  I think some -5 or -6 departures would be about right with what is coming.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wonder when the last 80-less July was at SEA? Or OLM for that matter?

I think 1993 either did or came close.  That and 1954 might be the only 2.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF and GFS agree on that crazy 6000 ridge over the Midwest next week.  It will suck to be them if it verifies.  The ECMWF looks undenaibly cool for us at least through the 20th.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF and GFS agree on that crazy 6000 ridge over the Midwest next week. It will suck to be them if it verifies.

"The monster" is all I can think to call it. It's actually about to fuse with the Bermuda high towards the end there.

Don't be dumb. Point is, we've achieved such statistical greatness amidst a pretty pedestrian pattern which has been fairly enjoyable for the masses. Kind of bolsters the position of the common sense police who had to respond here the last couple summers and reassure things would be okie dokie okay.

Yeah but "enjoyable to the masses" and July go hand in hand around here generally. Cool Julys are not by any definition unpleasant or ugly for the most part. At worst we're still going to generally see

• Like 1

An interesting side note is it appears likely this month will feature the strongest surface high pressure over the NE Pacific / GOA on record (at least back to 1948).  It looks like it could be so by quite a margin in fact.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9