Thunder98

Edited your post to make your argument more credible and less hypocritical.

I think you missed my point. The right always says the left makes mass shootings political right away, yet I pointed out how the current president himself does it all the time. Both sides have always done that. That's the way politics works. However, it's always the go to "smoke screen" response after a mass shooting for the Republican Congress and Republicans to use to avoid having to even have a conversation about gun control like they're somehow taking the high road. It's always too soon for them. Just a line they don't actually believe or care about. All the Republican congressmen care about is what the NRA wants despite the fact the majority of this country and the constituents they are supposed to represent, want more gun control.

Personally, I think we should be talking about this right away. We do for every other national tragedy or disaster to try and figure what could have been done differently or needs to change to prevent people from losing their lives or from things being destroyed, etc.

I think you missed my point. The right always says the left makes mass shootings political right away, yet I pointed out how the current president himself does it all the time. Both sides have always done that. That's the way politics works. However, it's always the go to "smoke screen" response after a mass shooting for the Republican Congress and Republicans to use to avoid having to even have a conversation about gun control like they're somehow taking the high road. It's always too soon for them. Just a line they don't actually believe or care about. All the Republican congressmen care about is what the NRA wants despite the fact the majority of this country and the constituents they are supposed to represent, want more gun control.

Personally, I think we should be talking about this right away. We do for every other national tragedy or disaster to try and figure what could have been done differently or needs to change to prevent people from losing their lives or from things being destroyed, etc.

All your post was was politicizing this. You seem to think that because the president does it, it's okay to politicize this RIGHT after it happens. It is not okay, it is sick and I think the families of the victims would agree with me.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

All your post was was politicizing this. You seem to think that because the president does it, it's okay to politicize this RIGHT after it happens. It is not okay, it is sick and I think the families of the victims would agree with me.

Most people who are against gun violence...which should be 100 percent of the country, speak out about it all the time.  Of course it is going to get more vocal when it happens....and happens again....and happens again....and happens again...  When is the right time?  Should I wait awhile after my father dies of cancer to support speaking out against cancer? or can I do that as its happening?   

• Like 2

Most people who are against gun violence...which should be 100 percent of the country, speak out about it all the time. Of course it is going to get more vocal when it happens....and happens again....and happens again....and happens again... When is the right time? Should I wait awhile after my father dies of cancer to support speaking out against cancer? or can I do that as its happening?

I don't know, ask the families.

There was a time where we mourned after stuff like this happened. It's extremely disrespectful to push your agenda while some other people are dealing with the loss of their loved ones due to the exact same incident.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I've been seeing otherwise with the interviews on TV and social media from the actual kids who had to experience this horror. They keep saying something has to be done other than the generic "thoughts and prayers". When is the appropriate time? 1 week or 1 month or next year? Then the next one will happen, so we can't say anything again. I don't think because the president does it, it's okay. I don't need his permission or example and wouldn't look to that guy for any kind of example anyway. Gross.

I think now is the time to have the discussion, and I've always thought that, because if it's not done now, it just gets pushed off again and again until everyone except the families has forgotten about it or the next one happens. I've lost a friend to gun violence, have kids in school, and my wife, sister, and sister in law are all teachers so this is something that needs to be talked about now, not after the next time. Can we talk about Sandy Hook yet since nothing has been done since then when 26 elementary kids and teachers were gunned down?

I've been seeing otherwise with the interviews on TV and social media from the actual kids who had to experience this horror. They keep saying something has to be done other than the generic "thoughts and prayers". When is the appropriate time? 1 week or 1 month or next year? Then the next one will happen, so we can't say anything again. I don't think because the president does it, it's okay. I don't need his permission or example and wouldn't look to that guy for any kind of example anyway. Gross.

I think now is the time to have the discussion, and I've always thought that, because if it's not done now, it just gets pushed off again and again until everyone except the families has forgotten about it or the next one happens. I've lost a friend to gun violence, have kids in school, and my wife, sister, and sister in law are all teachers so this is something that needs to be talked about now, not after the next time. Can we talk about Sandy Hook yet since nothing has been done since then when 26 elementary kids and teachers were gunned down?

All doing this right after it happens does is divide the country like it is dividing the thread right now. People are still angry or sad about everything. I'm saying give it time to blow over. I believe the AR-15 shouldn't be in civilian hands, but I'm not pushing that when we should be mourning.

How much time should we wait? Should the students and families who were involved also stop calling for change?

They're kids involved in the shooting giving interviews and begging for change. You can mourn and want chnage at the same time.

Shoving your agenda in people's faces is not a good way to mourn.

Although the post I am quoting was not addressed to me; I did not even realize until 5 minutes ago that there was another terrible tragedy yesterday with a school shooting in Florida...as I do not watch television. 

Horrible...all I can say is horrible.

Plenty of kids are expelled...only one went on a homicidal murder spree.

When I wrote that yesterday in response to your post about a student being expelled; I had no idea that is was in reference to a new and specific case...I thought it was just a generic comment...and my reply was likewise generic.

Sometimes, in my haste, I do not read carefully or between the lines.

Being out here in the Middle of Nowhere; I am somewhat removed from society...and what goes on inside it.

So I'm reading the article now and the P.O.S. survived; which seldom happens.

No prison; give him the chair and send him down to Hell.

Destructive, malicious, malignant, malevolent P.O.S.

I've never had a problem with the death penalty (for murders)...as long as the person gets one appeal and was sane (or reasonably sane) when the crime was committed.

By invoking the death penalty; a society demonstrates its respect for human life.

For which society is more barbaric; one which executes those who take another's life...or those that would excuse such a reprehensible act?

That's rhetorical...

Shoving vs talking are two different things.

Making policy based on emotion is not the way to go

There is common sense laws that you can put in place

1. Stricter background checks

2. Reducing ammo capacity so that you can’t shoot so many rounds at once (especially AR-15)

3. Metal detectors and armed officers at each public HS

4. Getting rid of gun free zones which happens to be the target of pretty much every mass shooting

• Like 1

That might help some; but what are we living in; a military zone or in a civilized society?

Even in totalitarian dystopian science fiction; I don't often recall armed guards in the public sphere...except maybe in a bank; where robberies are common.

Should Americans live in a Police State for the foreseeable future?

If the people do not revert to civilized dealings with their neighbors; and act like human beings instead of monsters; the guards will not save the nation...and at that point it will have devolved so...that no one would even wish to save it.

That might help some; but what are we living in; a military zone or in a civilized society?

Even in totalitarian dystopian science fiction; I don't often recall armed guards in the public sphere...except maybe in a bank; where robberies are common.

Should Americans live in a Police State for the foreseeable future?

If the people do not revert to civilized dealings with their neighbors; and act like human beings instead of monsters; the guards will not save the nation...and at that point it will have devolved so...that no one would even wish to save it.

In my city’s high school we have cops their all the time. They help deal with other problems that come up but it’s more like an armed resource officer

In my city’s high school we have cops their all the time. They help deal with other problems that come up but it’s more like an armed resource officer

Being in a far-flung location; I obviously do not see what is going on in these cities and apparently very angst-ridden suburbs...except maybe when I go to the airport...and I'm subjected to the various search protocols.

This is one case where I'm not really certain what can be done...if you don't repair the Psyche & Soul of the Nation...I don't know how you can really stop the insanity.

As I've written; you never saw anything like this even 25 years ago...so it is a new and toxic phenomenon.

• Like 2

2. Reducing ammo capacity so that you can’t shoot so many rounds at once (especially AR-15)

4. Getting rid of gun free zones which happens to be the target of pretty much every mass shooting

Correct, but nothing wrong with discussing this issue after a shooting.

I have some trouble with point 4. Majority of mass shootings occur in Private businesses. Shouldn't it be up to them to decide if they want to be gun free or not?

As for shootings in public faculties (like schools)

Virgina Tech - Campus Police lacked any coordination

UT Austin - Took Campus Police -who were minutes away- 90 minutes to shoot suspect dead

Columbine - Had a armed guard who failed to bring down Harris.

Fort Hood - Well I assume they have enough guns...

Instead of destroying gun free zones, I would support better training for SROs/security guards. In many mass shooting cases, we already have armed individuals on site. Its that they are unable to bring the shooters down (they are still heroic for trying).

Forgot to add, they are often out gunned.

There were armed officers in this case as well.

Politicians don't work on common sense..

There were armed officers in this case as well.

Politicians don't work on common sense..

Yes but this guy obv knew the layout/plan

If they had metal detectors there’s no way 17 people are killed. Most likely the guy shoots the guard by the metal detector but cops would have been notified faster and teachers could have blocked the doors etc

They had no chance here tho. He pulled the fire alarm and was just waiting

I've never had a problem with the death penalty (for murders)...as long as the person gets one appeal and was sane (or reasonably sane) when the crime was committed.

By invoking the death penalty; a society demonstrates its respect for human life.

For which society is more barbaric; one which executes those who take another's life...or those that would excuse such a reprehensible act?

That's rhetorical...

This is the best explanation I have ever seen put into words about what I think about the death penalty. Life for life is the only true way to demonstrate respect in regards to murder.

• Like 2

I've always thought the death penalty should be expanded to repeat sex offenders and multi offense drug dealers who deal stuff like meth and heroin.

If they posess the emotional sanity to understand the process by which their actions cause processes of death, addiction, grief and many other effects, by all means I agree. When these people are so disconnected that the effects and consequences are unrealized though, what do you do?

As stated in fact recently by Marco Rubio, there are and have been no new proposals in modern history that would have prevented any part of any mass shooting in modern history. It fact checked as truth.

The other questions that I hear are pertaining to whether or not we actually need an AR-15 rifle and the answer gradually changes to yes. By opposite virtue of what you may think. There may be a day when they are literally needed for protection from those who seek to do harm in mass numbers. That should concern people more that continuing to throw regulation at the wall and seeing if it sticks. People don't want to control themselves anymore. They want the government to control them in the name of false freedom. Freedom by control is a lie.

• Like 1