2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Similar to last night, winds are picking up at bit but dew points are safely in the 30's or higher which surprised me. Explains why there have not been Red Flag warnings during this heatwave. Where's the moisture coming from?

I can't believe how hot it got in Socal today. Some places reached temperatures that I thought were not possible this time of year with the sun angle and day length being limiting factors. It takes a "perfect storm" of conditions to produce this level of heat this late in the year. A run of the mill Santa Ana event coupled with a run of the mill upper level high simply does not do the trick.

Obviously there is something else at work that is injecting extra heat in the weather patterns down here as of late. Today's event is the second very anomalous hot spell we have had since the beginning of October. The first event was a late October Santa Ana wind in which I experienced a low in the upper 80's here in Orange! I have NEVER seen lows this hot even in the worst September heat waves and the muggiest of August nights in my area.

We are never going to get into a more winter-like pattern as long as we keep having this highly abnormal level of heat around here!

It is so hot tonight that sleep is uncomfortable especially when the temp hasn't fallen below 76F & San Rafael Hills is 81°. Found this quote on Twitter from Brian Brettschneider

"There are only 5 official instances of 100°F temps so late in the year (pre-2017). Granite Reef Dam, AZ (102°F on 11/30/24), La mesa, CA (12/8/38), Irvine Ranch, CA (11/23/33) and Camp Pendleton, CA (12/6-7/2006) all with 100°F. @NWSLosAngeles @NWSSanDiego"

It is so hot tonight that sleep is uncomfortable especially when the temp hasn't fallen below 76F & San Rafael Hills is 81°. Found this quote on Twitter from Brian Brettschneider

"There are only 5 official instances of 100°F temps so late in the year (pre-2017). Granite Reef Dam, AZ (102°F on 11/30/24), La mesa, CA (12/8/38), Irvine Ranch, CA (11/23/33) and Camp Pendleton, CA (12/6-7/2006) all with 100°F. @NWSLosAngeles @NWSSanDiego"

76 F should not be uncomfortable with almost no humidity. I find it crazy that people say the best temperatures for sleep indoors are between 62 and 70. I would be freezing on the lower end of that. I have noticed that many hotels provide heavy blankets in middle of the summer in the hottest climates. That is because so many people love to set their AC to the 60s when it is over 100 outside. When I was in Miami a few years ago at the end of May, the airport was like one humongous refrigerator. I had to have long pants and sweatshirt waiting for the next plane and was still cold. Outside it was in the 90s.

76 F should not be uncomfortable with almost no humidity. I find it crazy that people say the best temperatures for sleep indoors are between 62 and 70. I would be freezing on the lower end of that. I have noticed that many hotels provide heavy blankets in middle of the summer in the hottest climates. That is because so many people love to set their AC to the 60s when it is over 100 outside. When I was in Miami a few years ago at the end of May, the airport was like one humongous refrigerator. I had to have long pants and sweatshirt waiting for the next plane and was still cold. Outside it was in the 90s.

Due points are pushing 50°. Of-course, it is not uncomfortable compared to summer humidity. I don't like waking up on a sweaty pillow esp in late November. All the house windows were open to allow cross circulation but fans were also necessary. I avoid using AC even though other family members seem to be totally addicted. Just the fact that we need fans all night is depressing on Thanksgiving.  

L: 73

Due points are pushing 50°. Of-course, it is not uncomfortable compared to summer humidity. I don't like waking up on a sweaty pillow esp in late November. All the house windows were open to allow cross circulation but fans were also necessary. I avoid using AC even though other family members seem to be totally addicted. Just the fact that we need fans all night is depressing on Thanksgiving.  

L: 73

Well, it all depends on whether you like warm weather or cool weather and how quickly your house heats up on a warm day. I am not in the hills, but a crowded area in Lake Forest, so we rarely get east winds that last through the night. That allowed it to drop into the mid 50s Tuesday night and about 60 last night. Also my house is very slow to warm up this time of year because my small backyard is shaded by tall Cypress trees from the schoolyard on the other side and the sun does not peak over until about 9:30 AM this time of year. We're also a one-story house right next to a 2 story house, so the south side of my house is completely shaded from about November to February. The south is where the sun tends to be this time of year. My house warmed up to 77 yesterday and dropped to 74 this morning, and that actually felt a little bit cool given the low humidity.

Most people complain about the heat on social media/ blogs. In-fact, MrMarineLayer, you are the only person I know of who likes hot weather. Take any TV channel News; universally the newscasters state weariness w/ a summer that won't end and hardly a drop of rainfall unless you live in an extremely fortunate location that received monsoon moisture.  There's ritual that gets skewed-up; switching from sheets-only [summer/ early-mid Fall] to blanket/ PJ's and turning the furnace on in the morning is what one expects going into December. Plus negative departures earlier this month have been replaced with  warmer than average again.     

Similar to last night, winds are picking up at bit but dew points are safely in the 30's or higher which surprised me. Explains why there have not been Red Flag warnings during this heatwave. Where's the moisture coming from?

The Dew Point went up to as high as 59F yesterday. The high was 89F Wednesday

https://english.wunderground.com/history/airport/KSMX/2017/11/22/DailyHistory.html

It may have been uncomfortably hot today with Downtown L.A. recording its hottest Thanksgiving ever and San Diego tying theirs, but now it is quite comfortable out there and I still would take the heat over having to be in the Macy's parade with almost no clothes in near freezing temperatures like some of the dancers there.

Walmart campers had to endure heat instead of cold here.

Always assumed the NWS Lake Forest station was at the former El Toro Marine Air Station but elevation is a little over 300'. Some warm minimums at over 1000'. The reality of micro climates in California can be observed on WU stations. I check my readings w/ sites under a mile away. My hygrometer was way off on 2 consecutive nights.

NWS_SF

A hefty plume of precipitable water with values approaching 1.50" per
  recent GFS and WRF model output would be at seasonal max values on
  all Oakland soundings from 1948 to 2014 if it reaches here, which is
  what the WRF is forecasting. There`s pretty good agreement between
  the GFS and NAM IVT forecasts indicating a moderate to borderline
  strong atmospheric river (AR) Saturday night into Sunday, with 
  possible lingering AR effects Sunday into Monday morning over East
  and South Bay areas. IVT values 500-600 kg/m/s rise to 700-800 kg/m/s
  over the Bay Area Saturday evening into Sunday morning. Similar 
  values then overspread the Santa Cruz Mountains early Sunday morning
  to early-mid Sunday afternoon. All of this progresses to the Big Sur
  coast, but will be moving faster Sunday due to an upstream kicker low
  pressure trough in strengthening westerlies

From NWS San Diego forecast discussion.

Later in the week...forecaster confidence fades further as models    suggest the development of a temporary block along the West Coast.    The block allows a cut-off low to form well offshore of San Diego.    The 06Z GFS and 00Z ECMWF operational runs bring the low over SoCal    next weekend with sufficient moisture and strength for widespread    precipitation...perhaps the first of the season?

Sound familiar? Like that first storm of the season we were supposed to get early November?

We are coming to that time of year where solar noon moves forward by at least 20 seconds each day. Around Winter Solstice it moves forward by about 30 seconds a day. Loss of daylight in the morning from yesterday is 55 seconds, but loss of daylight in the evening is only 15 seconds. Exact date of earliest sunset depends on your latitude, but for most mid-latitudes, it's about 2 weeks before the Winter Solstice.

2017SunsetCrossOff.png

• Like 1

Following the wonderful Nina of 2010/11 it under performed. Rain year was only 11.90 here.  

The pattern lately has reminded me of that year. Lots of splitting troughs. Those can be good for you guys if they are in the right spot but I guess they were not in that winter.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Per the static pattern, the front over Central Cal is falling apart; any rain down here should be very light. The ridge over Baja is doing damage to the prospects for rain but at least the position of the high circulates moist Pacific air into SoCal; thus the relatively high dew points during the past heatwave. 

77/ 57