January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

I knew it wasn't true but I also pointed out what it was showing. For any valley forecasts I wouldn't trust the tropical tidbits snowfall Maps, they seem to have extreme resolution issues, it seems to always have at least a trace over pdx when snow levels in reality are over 1000'. The gem appears to be even worse with that. The wx bell Maps seem to deal with that issue well.

Yeah I'm only referencing the wx bell maps. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like the GFS doesn't think we go below freezing until around 9-10 PM here, light precip shows up around 4PM. The cooler air better show up here via the gorge on time or bad things will happen to this event.

That's an aspect that can't be ignored with this. The GFS is almost invariably too aggressive with back door cold advection. A 2-3 hour difference could affect accumulations quite a bit either way.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

There won't be a lot of cold air from the gorge. It supposedly transitions due to cool air from the gorge and a somewhat isothermal column as the airmass cools. The gorge won't be much below freezing...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Looks like the GFS doesn't think we go below freezing until around 9-10 PM here, light precip shows up around 4PM. The cooler air better show up here via the gorge on time or bad things will happen to this event. 

Gorge outflow is going to really ramp up by early this afternoon and that gorge is still quite chilly/snowy so the source is good.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

That's an aspect that can't be ignored with this. The GFS is almost invariably too aggressive with back door cold advection. A 2-3 hour difference could affect accumulations quite a bit either way.

Yeah it will be interesting if areas can begin to pick up some accumulations with the main band as it shifts north. The NAM obviously thinks we do but as you say it's a tough call at this point.

Cold Season 2023/24:

What happened in the Puget Sound this AM does not bode well for widespread, major accumulations further south this PM. Gonna be another close call, but I'm doubtful about much south of Portland below 500', and places with good outflow tap near the Gorge probably have the best shot in Portland area.

It is a bad omen. Portland NWS best play it conservative right now. WRF really doesn't show much snow down that way.

There won't be a lot of cold air from the gorge. It supposedly transitions due to cool air from the gorge and a somewhat isothermal column as the airmass cools. The gorge won't be much below freezing...

But it's very snow covered so that always helps.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Just a trace here overnight. Down to 30 now but just cloudy.

There was just enough to cover most untreated surfaces around here, but I imagine it will sublimate quickly. Mixed sun/cloud here and hovering around 31F now with strong NE winds. Things are looking better down toward Port Angeles, but it will be tough for any precip to overcome the outflow. 

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p286/jemeric/IMG_3808_zpsfs2fo3kd.jpg

• Like 1

GEM...someone post the weatherbell version if possible.

GEM http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2017011012/gem_asnow_nwus_8.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 8.57.23 AM.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

PDX NWS thinks there is a bit too much uncertainty in the temps 

"This is not a slam dunk winter weather event as there is not an

obvious cold air mass in place like the last one. Some areas may see
more snow than forecasted, and others much less or none. Forecasting
where these locations are will depend on where the low actually moves
onshore. Currently the models project that the low will move onshore
near Newport, Oregon. Models tend to under forecast precipitation for
areas north of the low, and I have went slightly above model guidance
for QPF in areas north of Newport."

But it's very snow covered so that always helps.

The snow cover really is a non-factor in a setup like this. Low level cold isn't the issue, it's a matter of cooling the column from the top down as cold air advects from several thousand feet up.

The snow cover will be more relevant the rest of the week as offshore flow becomes low level.

PDX NWS thinks there is a bit too much uncertainty in the temps

"This is not a slam dunk winter weather event as there is not an

obvious cold air mass in place like the last one. Some areas may see

more snow than forecasted, and others much less or none. Forecasting

where these locations are will depend on where the low actually moves

onshore. Currently the models project that the low will move onshore

near Newport, Oregon. Models tend to under forecast precipitation for

areas north of the low, and I have went slightly above model guidance

for QPF in areas north of Newport."

This is actually an agreeable forecast.

• Like 2

The snow cover really is a non-factor in a setup like this. Low level cold isn't the issue, it's a matter of cooling the column from the top down as cold air aspects from several thousand feet up.

The snow cover will be more relevant the rest of the week as offshore flow becomes low level.

But low level level outflow can cool the column up to around 925mb right? 850s seem fine.

Cold Season 2023/24:

But low level level outflow can cool the column up to around 925mb right? 850s seem fine.

Troutdale or Washougal could see a quicker changeover I suppose, but as Andrew pointed out the air immediately within the gorge is not particularly cold at the moment. Cold air advection is just now making its way into the basin.

It's reached Port Angeles as well, 32 with snow there. Still could be a close call for areas like Olympia with seeing a switchover.

Also looks like its filtering into Seattle with a north wind there.   Precip around Seattle is just fading away now as the deformation band appears to be re-grouping farther south.

Cold air will push out that pesky precip before it can turn to snow.   Perfect!   :unsure:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Troutdale or Washougal could see a quicker changeover I suppose, but as Andrew pointed out the air immediately within the gorge is not particularly cold at the moment. Cold air advection is just now making its way into the basin.

Okay yeah. Will be interesting to keep an eye on the meso data as we progress into the afternoon. Should give us a better idea on when the changeover will occur. Definitely need the basin to cool down at the 925mb level as the outflow begins to help us out all that much.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Some off/on periods of decent sized flakes, more than light at times. Too bad it's still well above freezing. Same accumulation since my midnight measurement. (3")

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Ha, noticed KLMT reports rain last couple observations. My additional few hundred feet on the hill sometimes makes that much of a difference. The flakes outside don't lie to me. :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Glad I didn't make my weekly trip east today...looking a little rough between Snoqualmie pass and Yakima currently which was going to be my work trip. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

PDX sitting at 36 right now with ESE winds. With that cloud band approaching from the south and offshore flow not really going anywhere I don't see them getting to 40 today. Not much of a drop in temp is really needed for sticking snow at this point!

• Like 1

Looks like the latest HRRR continues to insist the changeover begins at 6-7pm at PDX.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Interesting to note that the upcoming +EAMT/NPAC jet extension will blow away anything observed during last winter's super niño event. Like, it's not even close. SoCal/SW US will be cashing in big time over the next 10-15 days.

Huge changes upcoming during late January, though, partially as a result of this regime. We'll have the EAMT/tropical convection reversing phase, partially in response to this NPAC cyclonic regime perturbing the global stratosphere and reducing the tropical static stability, on aggregate, via a cooling of the equatorial tropopause. The NPAC jet will pull back with the cyclonic train shifting into NE Russia and the NW Pacific, placing ideal surf zone across NPAC, which will lead to another round of EPO and/or NAM/polar based blocking.

In some respects, this may be similar to the systematic transition from November into December, however, due to differences in the seasonal relationships and alterations to the background state in general, the result will be somewhat different. Will likely be a significant EPO drop, but otherwise, differences likely in WPO domain, possibly NAM/AO as well. Could be less WPO, more EPO/NAM.

Will be a fun ride. Eventually models will catch on, assuming I'm correct which is never a given, especially in winters like this.

Interesting to note that the upcoming +EAMT/NPAC jet extension will blow away anything observed during last winter's super niño event. Like, it's not even close. SoCal/SW US will be cashing in big time over the next 10-15 days.

Huge changes upcoming during late January, though, partially as a result of this regime. We'll have the EAMT/tropical convection reversing phase, partially in response to this NPAC cyclonic regime perturbing the global stratosphere and reducing the tropical static stability, on aggregate, via a cooling of the equatorial tropopause. The NPAC jet will pull back with the cyclonic train shifting into NE Russia and the NW Pacific, placing ideal surf zone across NPAC, which will lead to another round of EPO and/or NAM/polar based blocking.

In some respects, this may be similar to the systematic transition from November into December, however, due to differences in the seasonal relationships and alterations to the background state in general, the result will be somewhat different. Will likely be a significant EPO drop, but otherwise, differences likely in WPO domain, possibly NAM/AO as well. Could be less WPO, more EPO/NAM.

Will be a fun ride. Eventually models will catch on, assuming I'm correct which is never a given, especially in winters like this.

So the Puget Sound area might actually get snow in a few weeks?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!