1/10 - 1/11 Possible Severe Frontal Passage with intense snow showers

clintbeed1993

For what it's worth--Updated Heavy Snow Disco @ 355p CST

...CENTRAL PLAINS TO THE UPPER MS VALLEY...THE EJECTION OF BOTH NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAM TROUGHS OUT OFTHE WESTERN U.S. BY LATER WEDNESDAY AND THROUGH EARLY THURSDAYWILL ALLOW AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE TO DEVELOP OVER EASTERN CO ANDTHEN GRADUALLY LIFT EAST AND NORTHEAST UP ALONG AN ARCTIC COLDFRONT SETTLING SOUTHEAST ACROSS THE PLAINS AND UPPER MIDWEST. SUBTLE SHIFTS IN THE TIMING AND STRENGTH OF THE WAVES MOVING ALONGTHE COLD FRONT ARE PRODUCING SIGNIFICANT SPREAD IN BOTH THETIMING/AXIS/ORIENTATION OF PRECIP/SNOWFALL.  THERE ARE CONTINUINGMODEL TO MODEL AND RUN TO RUN CHANGES...SO CONFIDENCE IS A LITTLEBELOW NORMAL IDENTIFYING THE AXIS OF HEAVIEST SNOW AND EMBEDDEDAMOUNTS.STRONGER DEEP LAYER FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING WITH UPPER DIVERGENCEALOFT SUPPORT POTENTIAL FOR BANDED SNOWFALL.SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED...PRECEDED BY POCKETS OF LIGHTICING/FREEZING RAIN IN THE PRECIP TYPE TRANSITION ZONE BETWEENRAIN AND SNOW AS IT GETS COLDER THROUGH THE COLUMN. 

NWS has 5-9 in the pin forecast of my area... Talk about premature; hell this thing is still a day away from even coming on shore. Sure there is decent consensus of some snow here, but I feel some lower totals forecast and then going up/down as confidence increases would age better. We shall see; it is their job, not mine.

NWS has 5-9 in the pin forecast of my area... Talk about premature; hell this thing is still a day away from even coming on shore. Sure there is decent consensus of some snow here, but I feel some lower totals forecast and then going up/down as confidence increases would age better. We shall see; it is their job, not mine.

There's increased pressure from the public to release amounts. They should tell the public to wait. All I said on Twitter was that >3" somewhere is likely.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

25-35mph sustained winds are looking very possible. Snow will start out very wet, but temps both surface and aloft will drastically decrease so after an hour or so snow will turn into powder. Assuming 00z GFS is less unrealistic & it sticks to the guns it had before @ 12z, wouldn't be surprised to see OAX use a blizzard watch as the headline of choice. If I were them, I'd do a Winter Storm Watch. It really depends on who's at the desk at the time. By their wording, it looks like only those North of I-80 will be in a watch zone.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

From Omaha WFO:

The presence of the coupled jet and the h5 low are forecast to
track toward central Kansas by 06Z. The storm has a 6 to 12hr
period of lift with rain changing to snow. The Garcia method has
general 3 to 4 g/kg specific humidity during this time and lift in
the dendritic growth zone. This points toward 4 to 8 inches of
snow within a general area of 2 to 6 inches. The EC is a little
weaker with only 2 to 4 inches. There is instability nosing in
ahead of the rain to snow change and could see a period of sleet;
possibly some thundersnow. With the instability and frontogenesis
would not be surprised to see a heavier band develop. Current
amounts have 1 to 6 inches of snow across the area a trace to
three inches along and south of I80 and 3 to 6 inches northwest of
I80. Higher amount from Columbus toward Mapleton

I saw OAX had a mention of Thundersnow which is always exciting! 

25-35mph sustained winds are looking very possible. Snow will start out very wet, but temps both surface and aloft will drastically decrease so after an hour or so snow will turn into powder. Assuming 00z GFS is less unrealistic & it sticks to the guns it had before @ 12z, wouldn't be surprised to see OAX use a blizzard watch as the headline of choice. If I were them, I'd do a Winter Storm Watch. It really depends on who's at the desk at the time. By their wording, it looks like only those North of I-80 will be in a watch zone.

From Omaha WFO:

The presence of the coupled jet and the h5 low are forecast to

track toward central Kansas by 06Z. The storm has a 6 to 12hr

period of lift with rain changing to snow. The Garcia method has

general 3 to 4 g/kg specific humidity during this time and lift in

the dendritic growth zone. This points toward 4 to 8 inches of

snow within a general area of 2 to 6 inches. The EC is a little

weaker with only 2 to 4 inches. There is instability nosing in

ahead of the rain to snow change and could see a period of sleet;

possibly some thundersnow. With the instability and frontogenesis

would not be surprised to see a heavier band develop. Current

amounts have 1 to 6 inches of snow across the area a trace to

three inches along and south of I80 and 3 to 6 inches northwest of

I80. Higher amount from Columbus toward Mapleton

I hate how they word their amounts and they are never right when they do it this far out. They certainly seem to be thinking this thing will be further NW than what models have right now though.

• Like 1

I hate how they word their amounts and they are never right when they do it this far out. They certainly seem to be thinking this thing will be further NW than what models have right now though.

The I-80 thing was especially ignorant. Let's ignore the countless model runs that have suggested an even spread across the region, right?

• Like 1

Actually the 18Z NAM runs look pretty close to me. Not as bad as I thought it would be ;)

System is insanely NAMped up on both * slaps knee *. Definitely some thundersnow-like returns showing up. Gosh I hope it's right for once being this far out. Please give us 8"+, I'd be so happy.

• Like 2

Yeah I didn't think to compare the NAMily. Looks good. Just watched Dean Wysocki's forecast. He showed all the model runs and said that it ultimately depends on who gets the band. He pointed out that areas outside the band got 1-2". I agree.

Wow every model is very different. This is going to be a hair pulling forecast for anyone on the air. Yikes. Two-Three days till the storm and its still uncertain on what exactly it does. 

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Not going to lie, I really miss Jim Flower's FB posts, when he would deep dive into the dynamics of the system. 

Especially now because people have to refer to facebook pages like snow-day to get their info amirite? * high fives *

Only kidding, I totally miss it too. It was always something to look forward to in between model runs. I wonder if he misses doing it at all. He got rinsed on his page whenever he was wrong, felt bad for him.

• Like 1

Lol!!

Fun Fact: I may or may not have helped make forecast maps for snow-day many moons ago! Craig, can you confirm?? 

Especially now because people have to refer to facebook pages like snow-day to get their info amirite? * high fives *

Only kidding, I totally miss it too. It was always something to look forward to in between model runs. I wonder if he misses doing it at all. He got rinsed on his page whenever he was wrong, felt bad for him.

..likes Chicago (hugs)

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918