1/10 - 1/11 Possible Severe Frontal Passage with intense snow showers

clintbeed1993

I'm thinking OAX is gonna issue the new products to replace the watch during tomorrow morning's package. Sitting on the edge of my chair till then. They're normally not afraid to issue warnings when things are borderline.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'm thinking OAX is gonna issue the new products to replace the watch during tomorrow morning's package. Sitting on the edge of my chair till then. They're normally not afraid to issue warnings when things are borderline.

Cant say I’ve ever seen the EURO and NAM agree on such a narrow band like this. Man that’s a nice map! Get ready to make that snow p3nis in snow lovers yard if that comes true!

Kuchera can do a shotty job with warm midlevels as well.  Havent looked close enough to see if it is in this case or not.  Not worth it now anyways to far away.

Here's a "sleet sounding" according to ptype map from weather.cod.edu. seems pretty marginal, would almost bet on snow with this sounding.

2018010918_NAM_039_41.55,-96.25_severe_ml.png

Here's the new NWS forecasted snow amounts. This thing has changed like a 100 times!! If this holds serve I would gladly take 3-4" for my area. 

Isn't it kind of crazy, how we're almost begging/excited for 3-4" of snow? Goes to show how crappy things have been for so long.

• Like 1

OAX continuing the WS Watch for 2-5" of snow. Watch end time has been extended until 6p on Thursday now as well. Starts at 6p Wednesday, which I have NO idea how they came up with that time. It's not going to be snowing here until after 3a Thursday morning.

I'd start it at midnight. Flash freezing will be an issue.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

NWS Hastings has went with a Winter Weather Advisory.  They are saying 1-3 inches.  Who the heck knows what will happen.  They say 9 PM Wednesday until Noon on Thursday.  Hope it is more but beggars can't be choosers at this point.  

Far Eastern Counties, including mine, is still in the WSW. I could see either all of use going into a WWA or possibly some areas going into a warning. Time will tell, just give us 2-4. 

Screw the NWS. I don't care what they say-- they did this same thing last year, when they predicted 1-3" for some parts of Western Nebraska who ended up getting 17". This is also reminiscent of the storm in March of 2007-- heavy snow was going to miss us, so 1-3" prediction, woke up to 18". I think someone gets leveled and they're going to fall flat on their face.

• Like 1

Just one interpretation, but at least y'all are going to see synoptic snowfall. Looks like I'll get rain followed by a possible flizzard

20180109 Intellicast 48hr map-7am Thu 11th.jpg

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

OAX still hasn't released their AFD. Maybe they actually looked at 12Z models like they usually don't before the afternoon forecast.

If they were honest, they'd start the discussion with "sorry, just got done cleaning out my pants that I just pooped after seeing the NAM/GFS vs. our predictions" but it will probably be something about how Norfolk is actually the jackpot and how heavy accumulations of 4-6" are possible there and 1-3" along and north of I-80 but less expected from a line of Lincoln to Hastings stay tuned lulz type of garbage they usually spew.

If they were honest, they'd start the discussion with "sorry, just got done cleaning out my pants that I just pooped after seeing the NAM/GFS vs. our predictions" but it will probably be something about how Norfolk is actually the jackpot and how heavy accumulations of 4-6" are possible there and 1-3" along and north of I-80 but less expected from a line of Lincoln to Hastings stay tuned lulz type of garbage they usually spew.

"Think highest amounts will be around 2", however recent guidance suggests lowering totals so will cancel the watch and just not issue a headline lol"

• Like 1