May 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I figured you will benefit more from Alberto's rains then my area. Congrats buddy! :D

Glad your basement is drying out nicely. Have ya thought of any possible solutions that might help solve this issue you are having w it? :unsure:

Yeah, dry it out and sell during a drought. Seriously tho, I have thought on it ofc but not sure if there are any good options other than my first sentence, lol. A neighbor across the street told me a couple years ago that the school wasn't keeping their dry-well drain cleaned out and that was causing more water in my yard. Not sure 'bout that tho. They've since rounded him up due to mental instability issues. So, Idk if his theory held any water?  :lol:

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Yeah, dry it out and sell during a drought. Seriously tho, I have thought on it ofc but not sure if there are any good options other than my first sentence, lol. A neighbor across the street told me a couple years ago that the school wasn't keeping their dry-well drain cleaned out and that was causing more water in my yard. Not sure 'bout that tho. They've since rounded him up due to mental instability issues. So, Idk if his theory held any water?  :lol:

That can be an option..... :unsure: Something to think about.

A dry well plays an important part. It most certainly needs to be freed from any debris. Otherwise, it will not dispose any unwanted water and then, you start having flood issues. :huh:

Or, hire a lawyer and sue the school for damages..... :lol: ;)

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Currently, a blend of sun and clouds and quite warm and humid w temps well into the 80s.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The CFSv2, which pretty much nailed the March/April temps across the CONUS, is going to do a pretty d**n good job for May.  The last several days of the month the model began to see the warmth coming and a trough over Hudson Bay/Greenland.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/monthly/images/summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201805.gif

With 1 more day to go, here is a nationwide temp departure map...

MonthTDeptUS.png

• Like 1

today's highs outperformed the forecast by quite a bit. Forecast was "only" for 90, but we're at 95. Coming into today we were a whopping 8 degrees above normal for the month and we're almost 20 degrees above normal for the high again today. Also almost 3" below normal for rain and last I saw, we're already almost 6" below normal for the year.

today's highs outperformed the forecast by quite a bit. Forecast was "only" for 90, but we're at 95. Coming into today we were a whopping 8 degrees above normal for the month and we're almost 20 degrees above normal for the high again today. Also almost 3" below normal for rain and last I saw, we're already almost 6" below normal for the year.

What hurts the most about this is the month of May is by far our rainiest month climatology speaking... this spells some significant trouble down the line if June-August are even below or just slightly below normal precipation-wise and normal to above normal temperature-wise.

It’s even more ridiculous seeing areas in the Midwest that have gotten absolutely dumped on lately, while we are begging for any type of widespread moderate rain around Eastern Nebraska.

• Like 2

What hurts the most about this is the month of May is by far our rainiest month climatology speaking... this spells some significant trouble down the line if June-August are even below or just slightly below normal precipation-wise and normal to above normal temperature-wise.

It’s even more ridiculous seeing areas in the Midwest that have gotten absolutely dumped on lately, while we are begging for any type of widespread moderate rain around Eastern Nebraska.

Even far Western Nebraska has gotten 5x as much rain as us this month. They're typically the drier climate. Only good that does for us is it keeps the Platte flowing.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Yeah, dry it out and sell during a drought. Seriously tho, I have thought on it ofc but not sure if there are any good options other than my first sentence, lol. A neighbor across the street told me a couple years ago that the school wasn't keeping their dry-well drain cleaned out and that was causing more water in my yard. Not sure 'bout that tho. They've since rounded him up due to mental instability issues. So, Idk if his theory held any water? :lol:

Lol. "...if his theory held any water?" I see whatcha did there. :lol:

• Like 1

Well, this month is coming to a close tonight and also closes out one of the most bi-polar spring seasons I have ever remembered. Statistically, or blended as a season, it will be hard to look at and see what happened. From probably the coldest 6 weeks to open the season for lots of you folks to a blast-furnace/Michigan tropical cyclone finish with a Chicago rainfall record on top. Pretty neat. We're all in a far different world than we were just 30 days ago. Anyway, here's to summer! May it be short. Hehe. JK.

• Like 3

May wrap

With a mean temperature of 64.8° (+6.1°) May 2018 will be the 4th warmest May in Grand Rapids history 1977 is the warmest at 65.7° 1896 is the 2nd at 65.3° in 3rd place is 1982 at 65.0° and now 2018 with 64.8°. New record highs were of 93° were set on the 27th and 29th and 94° on the 28th that 94° is the 2nd warmest reading ever in the month of May at Grand Rapids. A new record warmest minimum was recorded on May 3rd with a low of only 62­  The High for the month was that 94° the coldest for the month was only 40° this is the first time it has not gotten below 40 at GR in May since 1998. There was 5.64” of pricip 6 clear days 17 partly cloudy days and 8 cloudy days.

At Muskegon the mean for May was 62.8 (+5.9°) Record highs were set on May 28, 29 and 30th A record all time May high of 95 was set on May 28th only to be broken the next day with a high of 96°

At Lansing the mean for the month was 64.7° (+7.0°) There were no record highs for May at Lansing, But a new record warmest minimum was recorded on May 3rd  All in All May 2018 was a very warm month and it came after a very cold April.

Well, this month is coming to a close tonight and also closes out one of the most bi-polar spring seasons I have ever remembered. Statistically, or blended as a season, it will be hard to look at and see what happened. From probably the coldest 6 weeks to open the season for lots of you folks to a blast-furnace/Michigan tropical cyclone finish with a Chicago rainfall record on top. Pretty neat. We're all in a far different world than we were just 30 days ago. Anyway, here's to summer! May it be short. Hehe. JK.

Here at Grand Rapids we went from a top ten coldest April's to May being the 4th warmest in GR history. I can not find any year with such a big flip from one month to another.

• Like 1

Here at Grand Rapids we went from a top ten coldest April's to May being the 4th warmest in GR history. I can not find any year with such a big flip from one month to another.

I haven't found a year like this one anywhere either. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see where we go from here.

• Like 1