April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Omegaraptor

Nah, to be fair, Tim only really complains during the warm season if it's unusually cloudy/cool/rainy. Like 2010, 2011, and parts of 2012. Those weren't "normal" springs/summers either.

EDIT: Or, if it's rainy/cloudy during a warm season weekend he had big outdoor plans for. :lol:

105797711_smallMed_1494049172.jpg

Here we go again...

Randy said some dry weather would be nice.   

He is such an idiot for wanting a few dry days.    Doesn't he know that it normally never stops raining here?    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

People will complain about unusually gloomy weather compared to our climo.

Just like they will complain about unusually hot and dry weather compared to our climo.

And then you have the idiot who lives 3,000 miles away trolling people for talking about their local weather. And that idiot also b*tches about his weather there even when it is actually climo. :lol:

Really? I’ve never seen you complain about hot weather or dry weather. Ever.

• Like 1

I must have said 50 times in March that some rain would be nice and I was missing it.   Last August sucked and I have said it many times.   It was too hot and dry.   

Now I have said a couple times that some dry days would be nice and I am missing those.  

F*cking endlessly stupid conversation that you always seem to instigate.   I know the climate here better than you do.   I know it intimately well.  I know when a few complaints are warranted.   I have not really made any complaints about the weather this month... other than to say a change will be nice.    I assumed this wet period was inevitable after the dry March.   No big deal.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I guess you don’t remember last May-early July. Wait, that was actually a warmer and drier than normal stretch.

I know you like to play devil’s advocate but you are barking up the wrong tree right now.

Not playing devil's advocate at all. My loyalty is to facts and the truth, not certain opinions or posters.

Tim didn't complain all that much during that period, on a historical Tim scale. He did, however, engage in a fair amount of heavy-handed trolling. Par for the course.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

One of Tim's all-time greatest troll moves was in July 2009, when SEA hit their record of 103. 

I still remember he made a comment about people at the Mariners game looking "happy and smiling" as they baked in the heat that day.  B)

• Like 1

Well Tim does have a point the weather has been especially gloomy this April. The weather patterns have been persistent this winter Almost every month has had long periods of almost unchanging patterns and it will be nice to finally get a break from the consistent rain for a little bit hopefully. Today was nice!

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Well Tim does have a point the weather has been especially gloomy this April. The weather patterns have been persistent this winter Almost every month has had long periods of almost unchanging patterns and it will be nice to finally get a break from the consistent rain for a little bit hopefully. Today was nice!

Tim makes good points and dumb points. And points designed to stir the pot of those with differing opinions. Not much different than most of us, really, he just posts more than anyone else and has a very long history of complaining about unwanted drizzle, gloom, etc.

• Like 1

Humble too!

Anyone who has enough hubris to tell you/convince themselves they are 100% unbiased are the ones you watch out for.

Anyone who puts words in your mouth does not deserve to be taken seriously.

And you're taking what I said more seriously than I meant it, too...FYI. Especially for someone who "doesn't take me seriously".  :lol:

mean_annual_temp.jpg

Also worth noting that as per 1989-2018 statistics on NOAA Portland (PDX) has an annual average of 54.7ºF so it's not very far off the yellow bracket.

Don't let Phil see this map...

What’s wrong with it?

What’s wrong with it?

You always post maps that make the PNW look like an eternally cold and gloomy place, not actually looking at any other factors.

This map shows that the climate here is milder than most of the country above 40ºN, but of course it doesn't account for any other factor.

• Like 1

Tim makes good points and dumb points. And points designed to stir the pot of those with differing opinions. Not much different than most of us, really, he just posts more than anyone else and has a very long history of complaining about unwanted drizzle, gloom, etc.

I changed my approach years ago... complaining does not change anything and complaining about climo is dumb.     I reserve my complaining for periods that stray from climo... but I am more likely to complain when it strays in a wetter/cooler direction than in a warmer/drier direction.   

I like being warm and dry more than being cold and wet.    I also like deep dish pizza.    Who gives a sh*t?

You always post maps that make the PNW look like an eternally cold and gloomy place, not actually looking at any other factors.

This map shows that the climate here is milder than most of the country above 40ºN, but of course it doesn't account for any other factor.

I never implied the lowland PNW was the “coldest” place in the country, silly. I said it’s the “dreariest”. Which is demonstrably accurate on a 365 day resolution.

Though, the westside is one of the coolest areas during the summer months. But not year round.

Our climate is one of the most persistently wet and cloudy in the lower 48. It is what it is. I didn't see Phil say anything about temperatures.

Those clouds without rain falling from them that you hate so much? That's a big part of what ranks us high on the "dreariness" chart. Of course you'll notice areas with red on that scale happen to also be covered with beautiful temperate rainforest. No coincidence there.

• Like 2

I changed my approach years ago... complaining does not change anything and complaining about climo is dumb.     I reserve my complaining for periods that stray from climo... but I am more likely to complain when it strays in a wetter/cooler direction than in a warmer/drier direction.   

I like being warm and dry more than being cold and wet.    I also like deep dish pizza.    Who gives a sh*t?

I will be genuinely interested to see if the "changed man" schitck holds up through a legitimately cool and wet warm season. Going on 8 years now...

I never implied the lowland PNW was the “coldest” place in the country. I said it’s the “dreariest” place. Which is demonstrably accurate.

Though it is one of the coolest places during the summer months. Just not year round.

It would not even be close to the dreariest place in Europe though.   

Being the "dreariest" part of the US does not mean its always dreary.     In some ways... its less dreary here than other places in the country.     Most of the country looks really dreary for half the year.    We have many days even in the winter that are stunning... with the green landscape and mountains.    Even a sunny winter day in Milwaukee still looks pretty dreary.   :lol:

I don't think he said anything about "coldest", but I could be wrong. We certainly are one of the gloomier places however.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Our climate is one of the most persistently wet and cloudy in the lower 48. It is what it is. I didn't see Phil say anything about temperatures.

Those clouds without rain falling from them that you hate so much? That's a big part of what ranks us high on the "dreariness" chart. Of course you'll notice areas with red on that scale happen to also be covered with beautiful temperate rainforest. No coincidence there.

It's also worth noting that "dreary" is a subjective term. One man's heaven is another's hell.

That map Phil posted is totally BIASED.

Sorry, man, this is a black/white world we live in. People are either good or evil, and they definitely don't ever change.

Anyone who says otherwise is just flatironing.

I will be genuinely interested to see if the "changed man" schitck holds up through a legitimately cool and wet warm season. Going on 8 years now...

I just said I am more likely to complain about straying significantly from normal in a wetter/cooler direction.   

But complaining will still be pointless... and we can easily hop over the mountains whenever we want.  

I'm too used to hot summers now. A cooler than normal summer would feel arctic.

This seems to be the case for lots of people here.

The fact you’re aware of it gives you an advantage over folks like Mossman and Tim, who are apparently still living in denial over the abnormality of the 2013-18 summers. They might go into instantaneous hypothermia when the next strong multiyear niña rolls around.

Sorry, man, this is a black/white world we live in. People are either good or evil, and they definitely don't ever change.

Anyone who says otherwise is just flatironing.

There's also just two types of people in the world, the plebs who think things are just black and white, then the select WOKE who can see past the charade...

This seems to be the case for lots of people here.

The fact you’re aware of it gives you an advantage over folks like Mossman and Tim, who are apparently still living in denial over the abnormality of the 2013-18 summers.

July - September of 2012 was my favorite warm season period this decade. Hands down.

It would not even be close to the dreariest place in Europe though.   

Being the "dreariest" part of the US does not mean its always dreary.     In some ways... its less dreary here than other places in the country.     Most of the country looks really dreary for half the year.    We have many days even in the winter that are stunning... with the green landscape and mountains.    Even a sunny winter day in Milwaukee still looks pretty dreary.   :lol:

This is an excellent point.

Sometimes your points are very wrong and not excellent, though. 

There's also just two types of people in the world, the plebs who think things are just black and white, then the select WOKE who can see past the charade...

Actions speak louder than words.

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.