11/23 - 11/24 Potential Major Storm System

Tom

N.IL/S.WI is in a good spot for this. I'll still stick with my 3-6 call for most of us though. Not willing to go as high as the NAM shows in some spots. 

Give me 2-4" and I'lll have a smile on my face.  Enough to make it a "real" white Thanksgiving this year.  Haven't seen one of those in many, many years.  Would be a nice treat.

• Like 1

Missed again. Nebraska dome continues its work. More tears.

Unfortunately, that can happen for a decent period of time in the Plains region as they don't have as readily available access to GOM moisture.  I believe Omaha averages in the mid 30 inch range for snowfall in winter, if they had better moisture access to their south they could average 10-20 inches more.

I just think it's foolish for them to talk about the "Nebraska" dome when we are barely half way through Nov and just under a month away from the "real" start of winter. There's plenty of chances to get snow down the line but in every thread it's them complaining about the "dome" and it gets old.

Anyways, how the RGEM look Tom?

• Like 1

I just think it's foolish for them to talk about the "Nebraska" dome when we are barely half way through Nov and just under a month away from the "real" start of winter. There's plenty of chances to get snow down the line but in every thread it's them complaining about the "dome" and it gets old.

Last winter they were screwed, but before that they were not, so maybe a bit of selective memory only thinking of the previous year.  I'm guilty of it as well sometimes.

Actually, here it is.......

The 12z parallel GFS is still slightly farther north with the defo band, but the trend is pretty clear.  The last strong jet streak rounding the base of the trough is diving a bit more south and swinging a little wider with each run.  The storm overall is pretty strong, but the energy is in pieces... initial rain piece with no cold air, followed by a compact hang-back defo zone that shifts around from model to model and run to run.

Regarding Nebraska, the farther west into the plains you go, the more you need bigger storms that wrap up quickly to get your snow.  The eastern Nebraska members don't get nickeled and dimed as much as we do, but they do get more big storms.  I'm pretty sure places like Lincoln and Omaha have had multiple 6+ inch storms since the last time I had one(4 yrs ago).

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The 12z parallel GFS is still slightly farther north with the defo band, but the trend is pretty clear.  The last strong jet streak rounding the base of the trough is diving a bit more south and swinging a little wider with each run.  The storm overall is pretty strong, but the energy is in pieces... initial rain piece with no cold air, followed by a compact hang-back defo zone that shifts around from model to model and run to run.

Regarding Nebraska, the farther west into the plains you go, the more you get your snow from bigger storms that wrap up quickly.  The eastern Nebraska members don't get nickeled and dimed as much as we do, but they do get more big storms.

On the flip side, they can go a year or two without getting any decent storms at all due to their landlocked location with not as much GOM access combined with being a tad too far south for most clippers.

Unfortunately, that can happen for a decent period of time in the Plains region as they don't have as readily available access to GOM moisture.  I believe Omaha averages in the mid 30 inch range for snowfall in winter, if they had better moisture access to their south they could average 10-20 inches more.

Actually Omaha only averages about 26" of snow per year, and just like you mentioned there is a reason for that. I mentioned in an earlier post, we get only one 5"+ snowfall per year on average, so climatologically speaking we should be missing out on the majority of the snowstorms. I don't know why everyone out here keeps expecting that to change or be different. Every year we're going to see more snowstorms hit to our east/northeast of here. That doesn't mean we have a dome!

Tom and everyone else can try to say this year is going to be your year out in Nebraska, but I go into each winter not expecting much(like a normal year) and if we get dumped on, it's that much bigger of a surprise.

The ARW starts out with a scattered radar look, but quickly intensifies as the low phases. Happening right at the end of the workday too... Offices need to start mentioning the impact on rush hour and everything.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Actually Omaha only averages about 26" of snow per year, and just like you mentioned there is a reason for that. I mentioned in an earlier post, we get only one 5"+ snowfall per year on average, so climatologically speaking we should be missing out on the majority of the snowstorms. I don't know why everyone out here keeps expecting that to change or be different. Every year we're going to see more snowstorms hit to our east/northeast of here. That doesn't mean we have a dome!

Tom and everyone else can try to say this year is going to be your year out in Nebraska, but I go into each winter not expecting much(like a normal year) and if we get dumped on, it's that much bigger of a surprise.

Jeremy, this year Nebraska does have an enhanced chance of seeing more snowstorms out of any other year in recent years.  This is because of the split flow jet stream that will allow systems to hit the Rockies and eject out into the Plains.  I'm not saying that your going to be in the "bullseye" because that is just not happening.  However, I do feel you will get your fair share of storm systems.  We still have 4 months of winter to go and plenty of time to get your snow.