February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Guest Monty67

Wonder if the snow up here can hang on for the week. Maybe we can get a cold snap and have snow on the ground at the same time. Probably still 12-13" here. With a layer of frozen ice pellets on top. 34F.

I leave for Cuba on Sunday. So I will miss any fun next week.

Wonder if the snow up here can hang on for the week. Maybe we can get a cold snap and have snow on the ground at the same time. Probably still 12-13" here. With a layer of frozen ice pellets on top. 34F.

I leave for Cuba on Sunday. So I will miss any fun next week.

Cuba??

How?   Why?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest Monty67

I suppose Canadians are allowed to travel there. But why would you go there?

Beautiful and safe country. They love Canadians down there. Everyone I have talked to says that they absolutely loved it. Obviously there is some ugly history there with the US but I have heard they will soon be allowing Americans to travel there as well.
  • Like 1

Beautiful and safe country. They love Canadians down there. Everyone I have talked to says that they absolutely loved it. Obviously there is some ugly history there with the US but I have heard they will soon be allowing Americans to travel there as well.

Interesting.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Total eye candy at this point but it goes to show the potential this pattern has.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_extended/images_d2/snow72.180.0000.gif

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Guest Monty67

Interesting.

My travel agent said Cuba is the "Canadian Hawaii". Americans go to Hawaii. Canadians go to Cuba. There are dozens and dozens of resorts. And if you want to go and explore the city life you just go. Very safe environment, unlike many other Caribbean countries.

Pretty incredible we are already tracking another arctic air mass.

My travel agent said Cuba is the "Canadian Hawaii". Americans go to Hawaii. Canadians go to Cuba. There are dozens and dozens of resorts. And if you want to go and explore the city life you just go. Very safe environment, unlike many other Caribbean countries.

The problem is the distance... its easier for us on the West Coast to get to Hawaii.

You can fly direct from Bellingham to Maui and be there in 5 hours... with no customs or passports required (for Americans).   :)

I suppose Canadians have to have passports to get to some place warm and tropical!

My brother-in-law from Toronto honymooned in Cuba in 2005, and said it was nice, but they were bad at customer service.  Like they had little experience in tourism.  For example, a hurricane was heading toward Cuba and they were told nothing.  They lost power for a few days and did not know why, and the place they stayed at had no emergency supplies.  I knew more than they did.  Perhaps now they are better at it.

Wow, the raw numbers that the 12z GFS spit out for Bellingham starting on Sunday are incredible! Going to be a very interesting week of model riding!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Euro is cold but not as cold as the GFS.

850's bottom out at -10 for BLI, -9 for SEA and -4 for PDX.

Light snow event for SW Washington and NW Oregon next Wednesday at face value.

Not to common to see 30 inches of snow predicted on the wrf on the sw Washington coast.

Just your run-of-the-mill 32-inch snowstorm event for Astoria and Long Beach.    So typical.   :)

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_extended/images_d2/ww_snow72.180.0000.gif

Total eye candy at this point but it goes to show the potential this pattern has.

It's counting on some cyclogenesis off the BC coast, not a bad assumption in this pattern. We saw the same situation in early February although those storms largely went S of Seattle (except the last one).

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Snow cover really helping keep temps down here.

Still just 37 at BLI with a DP of 20 so the snow is barely even melting.

On Sunday the NWS was forecasting a high of 51 here but it will probably barely crack 40 and refreeze tonight.

Just your run-of-the-mill 32-inch snowstorm event for Astoria and Long Beach. So typical. :)

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_extended/images_d2/ww_snow72.180.0000.gif

Good lord. I'm supposed to be in Long Beach this weekend, working outdoors. This could get interesting.

• Like 1

This is how the WRF is modeling the snowstorm late this weekend and into Monday. No way to know if it will happen, although I am pretty confident that cyclogenesis will occur off the BC coast with the amount of cold air coming off the interior.

See 
http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/125-brown-and-younkin-1970-850-mb-lows-and-heavy-snow/.

• Like 1

This is how the WRF is modeling the snowstorm late this weekend and into Monday. No way to know if it will happen, although I am pretty confident that cyclogenesis will occur off the BC coast with the amount of cold air coming off the interior.

See http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/125-brown-and-younkin-1970-850-mb-lows-and-heavy-snow/.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/e1eqab.jpg

I love the detail you include in your posts. :)

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

See http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/125-brown-and-younkin-1970-850-mb-lows-and-heavy-snow/.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/e1eqab.jpg

Im just hoping things trend north a bit.  You all will hate me for saying that..haha

I love the detail you include in your posts. :)

Thanks, I enjoy posting here when it's not lost in an inane debate. 

It could just as easily be showing a weak low south of the QC's while showing the main cyclogenesis occurring to the SW of Vancouver Island. At any rate it then gets caught up by the WNW flow at 700-500 mb.

• Like 1

I love how the WRF shows my location getting completely screwed lol.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Bah!  When it snows like that why stop at life?  Just get the snowmobiles out and dogsleds! The more the merrier!

Im near the northern fringe of that snowfall map, but it still looks like 5" or so for me and I would take it! Being sandwiched in the middle for the last month with south and north getting hammered, and me with a meager 1" of snow, I would defiantly take 5"! Been very odd for all of these major cold shots of air this winter and yet my area which usually does great has gotten screwed. I am still very thankful for the 4" I received in late December! Winter total is 5", lets double that this weekend!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!