December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

All I could manage here today was wet snow / snow mixed with rain.  So close to be something great, but just a tad too warm.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 00z gfs is taking a dump in my white Christmas hopes...

Looks the same to me.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This run actually has some hope.  Moisture gets hung up over the Central Puget Sound for a good 12 to 15 hours.  Afterward thicknesses drop to 519 or so over Seattle.  Prettty nippy...especially if there is snow on the ground.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

WRF is crazy good good for tomorrow evening in WA.   

I am guessing at least another 6 inches here.   Flow goes offshore tomorrow afternoon and I think its going to snow for all of King County and northward.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Dries out rapidly after that, though. Trough just doesn't carve out at all like some runs earlier today showed.

I don't think I've seen any run go below 519 thickness for this event.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 00z gfs is taking a dump in my white Christmas hopes...

You are going to get snow. Relax.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This excludes the remaining snow tonight.   This is 4 a.m. tomorrow through 4 a.m. on Wednesday.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/ww_snow24.36.0000.gif

Temperature profile is much better...

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/slp.30.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

WRF is crazy good good for tomorrow evening in WA.   

I am guessing at least another 6 inches here.   Flow goes offshore tomorrow afternoon and I think its going to snow for all of King County and northward.

I haven't looked yet.  Sounds good though.  I'm sure it will be interesting for Thursday.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This excludes the remaining snow tonight. This is 4 a.m. tomorrow through 4 a.m. on Wednesday.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/ww_snow24.36.0000.gif

Temperature profile is much better...

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/slp.30.0000.gif

Yes, temp profile much better than the NAM. Hopefully things pan out.

In other news, it's back to moderate rain and 38 degrees...yahoo!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Moisture has really blossomed over the north sound...if it was just a few degrees cooler...

And the WRF shows another huge c-zone coming back from the southwest tonight. Maybe another 5 inches here.

By Sunday this run shows snow for w Washington and Oregon as a low overruns the cold air.

Dewey was getting excited about this possibility earlier today, and we know if Dewey gets excited chances are pretty high that it could happen!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Much better WRF tonight.  Just colder in general...even tonight anfd tomorrow.  In fact it shows possible snow between 10pm and 1am tonight for this area.  A little bit better numbers than what has provided the very wet snow here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This the warmest point... Wednesday afternoon.    Then it gets colder from that point on. 

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/slp.48.0000.gif

Much better WRF tonight. Just colder in general...even tonight anfd tomorrow. In fact it shows possible snow between 10pm and 1am tonight for this area. A little bit better numbers than what has provided the very wet snow here.

I'm feeling a little better tonight about our chances of seeing something in king county.

I'm feeling a little better tonight about our chances of seeing something in king county.

The fact that the flow turns offshore tomorrow afternoon and the air dries out will definitely help King County.

Perhaps a little wet bulb cooling later...

Perhaps! Precip is quite intense now and the temp has dropped to 37...think I can almost make out some lumps in the moderate precip.

The WRF is far drier than the operational GFS on Thursday, but it seems the WRF always underdoes mositure in these cases.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WRF is far drier than the operational GFS on Thursday, but it seems the WRF always underdoes mositure in these cases.

Almost like a modified arctic front that day behind the low.

This was posted by Wx Expert @Expert_Wx on twitter today. It shows the 12z ECMWF EPS Ensemble Control 850 hPa Temperature Anomaly for Dec 31 to Jan 5. Lots of potential if that block moves to the west a bit.

"Look at the ECMWF EPS Control run, Warming in AK, Canada, and the Arctic correlates to a colder and stormier Jan."

http://oi63.tinypic.com/5x7g93.jpg

https://twitter.com/Expert_Wx/status/679052733018607616

That might be close to being good for the other side of the country but not here.

Bummer for Whatcom County per the latest WRF. Not sure what's causing the lack of moisture honestly

attachicon.gifUntitled-2.jpg

Could get a little crazy here... maybe another 12-18 inches by Christmas.   Assuming those totals are overstated because its showing like 2 feet here.  

This week feels sort of like 2007-08 at my house... gets to the point where it just keeps snowing here.  Just cold enough and tons of moisture.   Unlike the last couple winters.

Could get a little crazy here... maybe another 12-18 inches by Christmas.   Assuming those totals are overstated because its showing like 2 feet here.  

This week feels sort of like 2007-08 at my house... gets to the point where it just keeps snowing here.  Just cold enough and tons of moisture.   Unlike the last couple winters.

You enjoy responding to random posts talking about your own snow don't you? Saw you do it earlier too. Yes, I'm well aware you live in an amazing location for snow, and yes I'm jealous.

• Like 3

You enjoy responding to random posts talking about your own snow don't you? Saw you do it earlier too. Yes, I'm well aware you live in an amazing location for snow, and yes I'm jealous.

I really have the urge to take a picture of snow outside everytime i see Tim's post and reply with it. Or I guess quote several of his posts that he makes in a row since he always has to make multiple posts about his snow, and do the same thing.  Helps that I live in a snowy climate this winter, so it would actually be funny instead of sad.

• Like 1

I really have the urge to take a picture of snow outside everytime i see Tim's post and reply with it. Or I guess quote several of his posts that he makes in a row since he always has to make multiple posts about his snow, and do the same thing.  Helps that I live in a snowy climate this winter, so it would actually be funny instead of sad.

Right??? I going to borrow some kids and bring them to my house to take pictures of the snow when no one else has any, and say "look, my kids love the snow so much". But secretly we all know that it is really I who loves it the most.

• Like 4

I would love to see pictures of your snow.