GHD III Winter Storm Possibility, Feb. 1st-3rd

Geos

So the GFS just shifted the 12"+ snow band roughly from SE MN to NW IL in 12 hours...hmmmm

150-175 miles. About how far the low shifted south along the front range. Now we know where we want this thing to come out.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I'm really exited for this storm. Whoever gets it is going to cash in huge!

Reverse psychology is working for you...something you and GDR are pretty good at...j/k...pulling your chain.  Would like to see this trend continue through tomorrows 00z runs and make sure it aint a fluke run. 

I know this question may seem pretty comical but are we thinking this will be an overnight threat on Monday or pushing into a Tuesday /Tuesday night event, for Cook county and the city of Chicago? It looks like the cut-off gradient is steep with people to the N/W of the city cashing in (at least on this run). Hopefully, the city can get something going if not so much with the storm, at least some LES. 

I wonder how many more pages we will add to this storm thread by Sat...

I know this question may seem pretty comical but are we thinking this will be an overnight threat on Monday or pushing into a Tuesday /Tuesday night event, for Cook county and the city of Chicago? It looks like the cut-off gradient is steep with people to the N/W of the city cashing in (at least on this run). Hopefully, the city can get something going if not so much with the storm, at least some LES. 

Too far out to say when the storm hits in Chicago.  Tonight's GFS run shows precip knocking on the door just after 6pm Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Lol LES

The one thing that will be working against a southern shift of the system is the lack of snowcover across the area.

GGEM showing temps in the 50's in IL a few days before the system:

http://maps3.pivotalweather.com/models/ggem/20160127/00Z/f114/sfctconus.png

The one thing that will be working against a southern shift of the system is the lack of snowcover across the area.

GGEM showing temps in the 50's in IL a few days before the system:

http://maps3.pivotalweather.com/models/ggem/20160127/00Z/f114/sfctconus.png

You are in a really good spot...

I'm hoping. I like the fact that the high should hopefully be far enough south to funnel in colder air and hopefully we have some snowpack left yet which will also keep temps a bit colder.

I like your area as well.

Ya I like my spot if it is wound up storm

. The first wave and northern stream strength will have alot to say in the final outcome.

Ya I like my spot if it is wound up storm

. The first wave and northern stream strength will have alot to say in the final outcome.

Pretty much.

Wound up system, plus strong gulf moisture, plus no snowpack at all up until Wisconsin/Iowa just screams NW trend to me as we get closer to the event at least until it feels effects from that high. 

I ride the rain/snow line through the whole storm pretty much. - on the GGEM.

50 miles farther south and this area gets clocked.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

The vort is only 22 gfs runs from being onshore

5.5 days away.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Pretty much.

Wound up system, plus strong gulf moisture, plus no snowpack at all up until Wisconsin/Iowa just screams NW trend to me as we get closer to the event at least until it feels effects from that high. 

We have a 5-8" snow pack in parts of Eastern/Southeast Nebraska, although I would expect most if not all of the snow to be gone by this weekend. The snow pack has a weird glaze to it around my area, almost like it's completely crusted over/frozen. I'm hoping that can lncrease the albedo affect, I want to keep some of my snowpack!