April 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Why don't you start a poll and I'll pin it for you.  Then in September you can gloat to everyone how you were right again.

Good idea.   Although by then nobody will care.   Just like at the end of the record warm summer of 2015.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

For those looking for cool thoughts on a warm day... my Aunt posted this pic from their house on a lake in Wisconsin today as they anticipate open water soon (crack has opened in the middle of the lake).    Although they are expecting another 4 inches of snow tonight.   Not my idea of April.   :)

12891097_10207412230001120_4260253661952

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Probably will end up warmer than I was thinking. It'll be tough to make up for the first 10 days.

Nice to be on the good side of wrong, I suppose.

True dat.

Or rather good.

Sometimes you take a guess and it breaks good, breaks bad. happens when you party naked...

Doesn't mean the two month period will finish warm, but it's off to a good-bad start it appears.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Sometimes you take a guess and it breaks good, breaks bad. s**t happens when you party naked...

Doesn't mean the two month period will finish warm, but it's off to a good-bad start it appears.

Good and bad weather is subjective. :)

Yeah, check out the new 12z ECMWF 850mb temperature anomalies for next Thursday and Friday. This is insane!

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016040112/ecmwf_T850a_nwus_7.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016040112/ecmwf_T850a_nwus_8.png

If that happened in the middle of July or Aug we be around 100..

Who remembers the spring of 2009?  We didn't even break 60 degrees until April 4th.

This year we've hit 60 even at my Battle Ground station 19 times already this year.  And we've hit 70 five times...

How does that compare to last year?

Taken from the dock of our lake house on Wednesday morning. Doesn't get any better than this, loving this weather!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

All I know is that summer 2009 was pretty frigid in these parts. Good thing we aren't following that year!

Would be pretty odd to follow a Nina to Nino year.   We have found many different ways to be warm.  :)

ECMWF weeklies point to a warm April and then wet weather returning in early May.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/updated-long-range-forecast-pattern-clues-into-may/56432938

Either May or June is almost guaranteed to be colder and wetter than normal.     Maybe half of both months.

70 / 30 in Klamath Falls today. I love going from freezing to warm all in the same 10-12 hours. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Some pretty good temperature acrobatics coming up.  A decently cool trough followed by an insane rise to nearly 15C on the 850s.  This could easily end up being one of those freaky Aprils where it pushes 80 in Seattle.  I'm betting on a big crash later in the month though.  I'll never forget April 1984 where it reached the low 80s in mid April only to followed by wet snow late in the month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Is that when you give cold the OK again?

It can get cold any time it sees fit, which is a good way to look at it considering there isn't a D**n thing I can do about it.

Like I tell my kids, put on sweater.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yesterday felt like a summer morning with all of the sunshine.  Today is no different with the low clouds in place.

76 yesterday.

Low cloud coverage looks pretty spotty on the first visible satellite.    Sunny here now... just some wispy high clouds.   Should be significantly cooler today though with more marine influence.

Low cloud coverage looks pretty spotty on the first visible satellite.    Sunny here now... just some wispy high clouds.   Should be significantly cooler today though with more marine influence.

Does anyone have SST for the north Pacific now vs last year at this time?

Even water that is 5-7 degrees warmer than normal seems to keep low clouds out of here most of the summer and as a result high temps are 10+ warmer than average.

I remember the last two summer forecast highs would always be too low.  They would say around 80, it would be 86-87 etc.