2016 Fall Off Topic Thread AKA Football or Politics

MossMan

Right now it's hard for me not to imagine the Flynn thing escalating. You must still think it's a "nothing burger".

Escalate how? Into what?

You think the Trump administration directed Flynn to talk to Russia about sanctions, then invent a story that he misled them and force him to resign over it? Think about what you're saying here.

Escalate how? Into what?

You think the Trump administration directed Flynn to talk to Russia about sanctions, then invent a story that he misled them and force him to resign over it? Think about what you're saying here.

Yes... that is probably correct.   Trump tells Flynn to make sure the Russians know its going to be OK and to ignore Obama.    They don't expect Flynn to get caught and they play dumb when warned about it.  They let ride and hope it blows over so Flynn can stay... but the Washington Post ruins it for them.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Remember the media circus about that (mostly) fake Russian dossier? Golden showers? Trump plotting with Putin since before 2013? All that stuff?

Yeah, I called it bulls**t then, and I'm calling it bulls**t now. It's a nothingburger. So is this Flynn crap.

Escalate how? Into what?

That doesn't sound outlandish at all.

They were probably hoping it would all stay under wraps. And now it leaked, and here we are.

Flynn is a classic fall guy in this situation.

Yes... that is probably correct. Trump tells Flynn to make sure the Russians know its going to be OK and to ignore Obama. They don't expect Flynn to get caught and they play dumb when warned about it. They let ride and hope it blows over so Flynn can stay... but the Washington Post ruins it for them.

Yeah, and Trump told Putin to hack the DNC too, right?

This Trump guy...what an evil mastermind.

So dewey is wrong.

I think he will be, just like he was about Trump not winning. He was completely dismissive of even the possibility all the way up until the day before the election.

I had a nagging gut feeling about Trump winning throughout the summer and fall.

Cognitive dissonance on full display in here tonight.

Going to be many sad souls in here when this turns out to be another pipe dream.

Man, Fox News needs to reign in their ridiculous anti-Trump bias. Posting rags like this on their front page:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/15/trump-reportedly-kept-pence-in-dark-about-flynns-russian-phone-calls.html

I guess Breitbart is the only place to get real news anymore.

Wasn't that long ago that you were mocking "fair and balanced"...

Guess it took a Trump to straighten them out, huh?

A forum for the end of the world.

Cognitive dissonance on full display in here tonight.

Going to be many sad souls in here when this turns out to be another pipe dream.

Just like the lack of heavy rain on inauguration day, and you living in sub-alpine Maryland?

I think he will be, just like he was about Trump not winning. He was completely dismissive of even the possibility all the way up until the day before the election.

To be fair, no one here expressed any confidence of Trump winning. Yourself included.

SW was most optimistic, but even he was doubtful.

Wasn't that long ago that you were mocking "fair and balanced"...

Guess it took a Trump to straighten them out, huh?

Way to miss my point.

The fair and balanced thing has been a cultural meme for years.

They lean fairly conservative. The fact that even they are being pretty critical of Trump should give those saying this will blow over in two days reason for pause.

Its probably not possible for Trump.

Explain your initiatives... calm fears... stop the petty attacks and paranoid claims and rise above the noise.

Not everyone would be happy but the bar is so low for him that many people would give him a chance. The media included.

He is a result, not the cause.

He's not presidential material and shouldn't be president, but he wouldn't be without a divided nation entering the election cycle.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

To be fair, no one here expressed any confidence of Trump winning. Yourself included.

SW was most optimistic, but even he was doubtful.

Yeah, even Andrew gave up at one point.

It seemed like a long shot. I had a feeling about it though. I probably should have been more vocal about it here if I wanted anyone to take that statement seriously now. But it is true that I did.

Way to miss my point.

The fair and balanced thing has been a cultural meme for years.

They lean fairly conservative. The fact that even they are being pretty critical of Trump should give those saying this will blow over in two days reason for pause.

I saw your point, I was just making a separate one. 

It's really not fair to act like Fox News is full of hacks (yes, you treated them that way at one point), but then cite them when the story fits. 

The reality is that they probably weren't as biased (at least any more than other major news sources) as you originally treated them.

I never said anything about that. Even I told Tim he was getting ahead of himself last night.

I just find it annoying that you and Flatiron feel the need to resort to kneejerk contrarianism in an attempt to neutralize Tim or something. It's too bad most of the discussion here is so character driven (Tim, Jim) as opposed to current event driven.

From everything I can tell it's a fairly significant story wth the potential for some rather large ramifications to the Trump White House. But Tim is overhyping it a little so the rest of us should all try to downplay it to make him mad. Productive!

Surely you realize that in order for Donnie to not be president in January 2021, one of those aforementioned things needs to happen first. It doesn't take Breitbart to understand that.

As for the rest, seems more like confirmation bias than anything else. You don't like Trump and want Tim's obvious histrionics to be the basis for a super productive-objective discussion of the hysterical (and ever fluid) issue on how he is likely to be impeached. Sounds like a non-starter.

Injecting a little reality into that hysterical issue isn't "kneejerk", by the way.

• Like 2

Yeah, even Andrew gave up at one point.

It seemed like a long shot. I had a feeling about it though. I probably should have been more vocal about it here if I wanted anyone to take that statement seriously now. But it is true that I did.

I believe you. Though I would bet it was nagging fears more than anything else.

I certainly didn't give him a shot. Even just in my mind.

I saw your point, I was just making a separate one. 

It's really not fair to act like Fox News is full of hacks (yes, you treated them that way at one point), but then cite them when the story fits. 

The reality is that they probably weren't as biased (at least any more than other major news sources) as you originally treated them.

Ok. You are continuing with your separate point though. Still never really addressed mine.

Fox News supports a different breed of Republican than Trump. Less alt right and more neo con.

There is definitely lots of division between those two wings of the Republican party right now. Just like there is division between the Berniers and the establishment democrats.

What I'm trying to say is that we can only trust Breitbart.

Surely you realize that in order for Donnie to not be president in January 2017, one of those aforementioned things needs to happen first. It doesn't take Breitbart to understand that.

As for the rest, seems more like confirmation bias than anything else. You don't like Trump and want Tim's obvious histrionics to be the basis for a super productive-objective discussion of the hysterical (and ever fluid) issue on how he is likely to be impeached. Sounds like a non-starter.

Injecting a little reality into that hysterical issue isn't "kneejerk", by the way.

You've still got me completely wrong. I haven't said anything about impeachment once. 

It would be interesting to dissect this story though. It doesn't all have to be either plan the impeachment hearings or invite everyone over for nothing burgers. There is a middle ground in which it can be discussed and weighed. But I think the character driven nature of this place is preventing that from being found. There are some real elements of this story that are worth considering but it seems to be all or nothing right now.

As for the 2021 thing ( I assume you mean 2021 here) I think I misunderstood you. I though you meant he would be inaugurated again in 2021.

By the way... I was being intentionally gleeful on here. I have no idea what will happen but it would be best if they can force Trump out somehow.

Maybe Russia will leak what they have on Trump. They have nothing to lose now. Trump has to take a stern stance on Russia now and cannot provide any favors that might have been promised. Russia would still win by causing chaos in US government.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So you think he's gonna be impeached-imprisoned-executed-pardoned?

If it's nagging you, let us know. Don't leave your genius off the table this time.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just like the lack of heavy rain on inauguration day, and you living in sub-alpine Maryland?

Pretty much like that. Or you claiming to be a teacher.

Ok. You are continuing with your separate point though. Still never really addressed mine.

Fox News supports a different breed of Republican than Trump. Less alt right and more neo con.

There is definitely lots of division between those two wings of the Republican party right now. Just like there is division between the Berniers and the establishment democrats.

Sure. That's a valid point.

I think mine was as well.  :)

By the way... I was being intentionally gleeful on here. I have no idea what will happen but it would be best if they can force Trump out somehow.

Maybe Russia will leak what they have on Trump. They have nothing to lose now. Trump has to take a stern stance on Russia now and cannot provide any favors that might have been promised. Russia would still win by causing chaos in US government.

:o

Now the possibilities are truly endless.

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty much like that. Or you claiming to be a teacher.

Lol. Well there is your trump card. Your years of creating a maze of lies and deceit can completely excused because I made a comment about having a "student" one time and Matt ran with it since we were having a tiff.

Lol. Well there is your trump card. Your years of creating a maze of lies and deceit can completely excused because I made a comment about having a "student" one time and Matt ran with it since we were having a tiff.

Trump card. Haha.

Well, you did call me a biased hack who's trying too hard to not seem that way earlier...

Well that's obvious to anyone posting. ;) I wasn't probing the roots of your innermost feelings and Trump vibes and taking an authoritative position on them.