November 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Gradient Keeper

I'm still waiting for the rest of the Cherry and willow leaves to fall before my last mow. We need a good windstorm to finish things off!

We finally got a good east wind yesterday so everything is down now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 12z ECMWF ensemble continues to like the idea of -NAO with slightly above normal heights over the GOA for the 11 to 15 day period. Not too shabby. The control model is much the same except for more robust with the anoms.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 18z continues to look reasonably chilly for the most part.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No Alaska view?  :P

Currently in Tenakee Springs! Not any snow on the ground. It's about 19 degrees right now (per wunderground...) I can probably count the number of times Tenakee Springs has hit 19 degrees in the 3 years in one hand. Wouldn't be surprised anyway.

Sunrise tomorrow at about 8am, sunset at 03:35pm. Hope to sight in my girlfriends rifle and then go cruise around on the skiff and look for deer. Winds look to be pretty mild, so that should be nice.

Hoping for some snow this next week. Will really make the hunting a bit easier. I'm okay with walking around to find them, but about 6 inches of snow will really help fill the freezer.

18z GFS showed a good amount of snow, 00z... moves the timing of the front up and shortens it.  Oh well. Hope for the best. Will work with the weather gods give us.

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

No Alaska view?  :P

Currently in Tenakee Springs! Not any snow on the ground. It's about 19 degrees right now (per wunderground...) I can probably count the number of times Tenakee Springs has hit 19 degrees in the 3 years in one hand. Wouldn't be surprised anyway.

Sunrise tomorrow at about 8am, sunset at 03:35pm. Hope to sight in my girlfriends rifle and then go cruise around on the skiff and look for deer. Winds look to be pretty mild, so that should be nice.

Hoping for some snow this next week. Will really make the hunting a bit easier. I'm okay with walking around to find them, but about 6 inches of snow will really help fill the freezer.

18z GFS showed a good amount of snow, 00z... moves the timing of the front up and shortens it.  Oh well. Hope for the best. Will work with the weather gods give us.

Here ya go http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=ak&pkg=T850&runtime=2016112000&fh=180&xpos=0&ypos=292

• Like 1

Haha was just kidding, have it bookmarked.

Holy smokes I spoke to soon. 

I feel like I know enough to think I'll see snow in the next couple days, but no idea really of the specific timing or how much. Or maybe it will be cold rain. 

Time to stoke the fire and... chill haha

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

Day 8-14 500mb Composite Analogs. Not bad. Move the positive anomaly further west and we're in business.

That 1968 analog keeps showing up. Right about the time of the December warning shot that year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Agreed. Plus the mountain snowpack is going to look very nice starting this week. Higher elevations in WA/BC will easily see 4-6 feet over the upcoming period. A nice change from the past two seasons that had lackluster starts. 

wa_snow72.180.0000.gif

Wow!

I can't believe how this is unfolding EXACTLY how I wanted.

As we get into week two the -NAO -PNA theme is quite impressive. Showing up strongly on most GFS runs.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow!

I can't believe how this is unfolding EXACTLY how I wanted.

As we get into week two the -NAO -PNA theme is quite impressive. Showing up strongly on most GFS runs.

Right. Just a few days ago Cliff Mass was calling for the end of the world with a crappy ski season. I know we have been off to a slow start this November with warmth, but things are turning around for the better in the next 7-10 days. 

• Like 1

Right. Just a few days ago Cliff Mass was calling for the end of the world with a crappy ski season. I know we have been off to a slow start this November with warmth, but things are turning around for the better in the next 7-10 days.

I can't understand where he was coming from with that. The blob is gone and he should know huge November torches are usually followed by good things.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WRF is showing a lot of days with highs in the mid 40s to low 50s next week with lows in the upper 30s or so. Certainly continues the cooling trend.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Euro at day 10 looks like a classic pre-Arctic setup for 1-12 weeks later.

LOL

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

00z CMC Ensembles - 500mb anomalies: looks like a retrogression signal after day 10

00z ECMWF Ensembles - 500mb anomalies: Nice positive anomaly 160-165 W with some(not a lot) of amplification. The trough digging through the southern plains isn't helpful though.

6z GFS in 42 minutes!!!!