March 2014 Observations and Discussions

Tom

I've heard that a late snowfall, makes the grass green up quicker. Is that true?

Btw: Do you have any snow left? I see it's in the 50s out by you now.

Yes, we're going to get back on track.

I can't fathom why the EURO is showing that much of a negative anomaly...

oh yeah, snowpack is about a foot yet. high was 46 today.

they are still saying that a co low towards the great lakes too.

The one Tuesday night? Models better get in some sort of agreement then.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

have never heard the lightning one. just found this though and it makes sense...

Lightning Creates a Natural Fertilizer

Have you ever noticed that after good thunderstorm your plants and grass have a growth spurt, and are even healthier?  That is because Lightning creates natural a natural fertilizer.

Most of the air in our atmosphere is Nitrogen.  It makes up about 78% of it.  About 20% of the air is Oxygen.  There is a very small amount of Hydrogen.  These are not just atoms floating around...  they are molecules.  A Nitrogen molecule is two Nitrogen atoms bonded together.  The same with the other two. 

Lightening creates emmense amounts of energy.  It is strong enough to break these bonds.  The individual atoms are now free to bond with other atoms.  They form compunds, ammonium, nitrate, and nitrite.  They then mix with vapor molecules in the air.  These compunds and water vapor combine with each other and form the raindrops.  More are picked up by the rain as it is falling onto your garden.

This is a special treat for your plants.  These compunds, along with the water of course, are key components to a plant's life.  They become greener and healthier. 

Lightning is the only physical process that can naturally create these compunds.  All of the other naturally formed ammoinum, nitrate, and nitrite compunds are from biological processes!

So, although storms may be nasty, and sometimes cause damage...  there is good that comes of it.  Happy Gardening!

by Heather P.

Well, I guess it's not a wife's tale! Cool.

Makes sense then.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

and that little round white table sitting on top of my well cover is the magic table......it hasn't moved in three years. Not kidding. heavy storms, winds, snow, nothing moves that table. Storms will suck the brush out of the fire pit and knock down the bench, chairs, garbage cans , bird feeders and everything else..That little table never moves...and its not attached in any way. Figure that one out !!!!!

and that little round white table sitting on top of my well cover is the magic table......it hasn't moved in three years. Not kidding. heavy storms, winds, snow, nothing moves that table. Storms will suck the brush out of the fire pit and knock down the bench, chairs, garbage cans , bird feeders and everything else..That little table never moves...and its not attached in any way. Figure that one out !!!!!

Cool pics. I wonder if the table is rusted onto the well cover...?

You've got more snow than I do then. 14" as part of a drift is about as high as it goes.

Temp creeping higher as I type this. Now 41°.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Cool pics. I wonder if the table is rusted onto the well cover...?

You've got more snow than I do then. 14" as part of a drift is about as high as it goes.

Temp creeping higher as I type this. Now 41°.

I still have some piles and drifts probably up to 2' here. Still a really good snowpack out there but it's taken a hit and this week is going to take a huge hit out of it unless we manage to get some snow out of the upcoming system.

Temp creeped up a little earlier here but has been pretty steady for a while now and 39 degrees. If it doesn't drop much at all tonight, boy it's gonna be a warm one tomorrow!

I still have some piles and drifts probably up to 2' here. Still a really good snowpack out there but it's taken a hit and this week is going to take a huge hit out of it unless we manage to get some snow out of the upcoming system.

Temp creeped up a little earlier here but has been pretty steady for a while now and 39 degrees. If it doesn't drop much at all tonight, boy it's gonna be a warm one tomorrow!

... Well yeah I've got piles to 3' high. haha

Maybe one of the neighbors has a drift higher. Dewpoint is 31°. I was just poking at the snow with a shovel... it's getting softer.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

... Well yeah I've got piles to 3' high. haha

Maybe one of the neighbors has a drift higher. Dewpoint is 31°. I was just poking at the snow with a shovel... it's getting softer.

Lol I didn't mean piles like that, I accidentally said piles and drifts and meant the same thing. My bad, obviously there are going to be some high piles. They are well above 2', probably get some 4 or 5'.

Lol I didn't mean piles like that, I accidentally said piles and drifts and meant the same thing. My bad, obviously there are going to be some high piles. They are well above 2', probably get some 4 or 5'.

O, I see how you typed that now. Nevermind, lol.

I took down an ice dam on my roof this afternoon, which was about 5" thick. Got it down just in time I think before it would have taken out the gutter.

One of my neighbors was finally getting around to shoveling around his smoke shack, which he hasn't used since early December.

@ Midwest - Well then I don't have an explanation!  :)

Sounds like an earthquake couldn't even move it. haha

Mercer Island, 350 ft

O, I see how you typed that now. Nevermind, lol.

I took down an ice dam on my roof this afternoon, which was about 5" thick. Got it down just in time I think before it would have taken out the gutter.

One of my neighbors was finally getting around to shoveling around his smoke shack, which he hasn't used since early December.

@ Midwest - Well then I don't have an explanation!  :)

One thing I really do appreciate about this warm-up is how it's helping clear some room on the driveway and the mailbox is actually accessible from my car now :)

its just funny watching the trees bend over to the ground, but this little 5lb table never moves...oh and i also left a half full beer bottle on that table, the wind blew it off, the table didnt move. :huh:  

I was also thinking i should set up a ruler on that table for the winter. it collects all the snow during and then melts off when the sun comes out. and its easy to see from the house.

One thing I really do appreciate about this warm-up is how it's helping clear some room on the driveway and the mailbox is actually accessible from my car now :)

Nice man! 

Just got back from the Nebraska 'Sconnie game, best atmosphere for a basketball game I've ever experienced! It was incredible :) and we won! 

It also helped that it was 72 degrees out today, just amazing. One thing that doesn't feel right is the brown grass, just incredibly dry around here still. Hopefully we can generate some precip around here soon.

i was looking at the pna and by tuesday of next week it will go negative so that means we will have a flip in the jetstream west gets cooler and the east gets warmer.

Everything you say is contradictory every single post im counting on winter being over the 16th to the 18th period. Now you're saying were going to have cooler weather?

Nice man! 

Just got back from the Nebraska 'Sconnie game, best atmosphere for a basketball game I've ever experienced! It was incredible :) and we won! 

It also helped that it was 72 degrees out today, just amazing. One thing that doesn't feel right is the brown grass, just incredibly dry around here still. Hopefully we can generate some precip around here soon.

Loved the crowd/atmosphere. 

Hated the players on Nebraska. Bunch of show-boaters. The guy sticking out his tongue and showboating when it was like 10-5 was stupid. Play the game the right way and stop showing off because you hit a 3. You would never see a player on Wisconsin doing that because Bo Ryan would bench them immediately. 

Was a good game though. Couldn't believe all the lucky bounces Nebraska was getting. It happens though.

Nice man! 

As an Illinois fan, I have to say congrats and wow!! What a game and what a season, simply incredible what Tim Miles has done... Oh and I love his halftime tweets. Lol. The game was crazy tonight, I was pulling for you guy, because that game basically punches your ticket to the tournament.. Awesome!

Nice man! 

Did your frost depth ever go deep enough to cause issues with water pipes? Especially since you didn't have much snow to isolate the earth.

Pretty amazing that a 10 hour drive away it was that warm!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Loved the crowd/atmosphere. 

Hated the players on Nebraska. Bunch of show-boaters. The guy sticking out his tongue and showboating when it was like 10-5 was stupid. Play the game the right way and stop showing off because you hit a 3. You would never see a player on Wisconsin doing that because Bo Ryan would bench them immediately. 

Was a good game though. Couldn't believe all the lucky bounces Nebraska was getting. It happens though.

True man, that was definitely over the top. It's Nebrasketball though, we suck EVERY year, so I don't blame our players for being stoked. Awesome game though! I totally knocked over a hot girl while storming the court though lol you could see it on tv too it was bad :P

Geos, we actually didn't have any problems here with the freezing thank god! Honestly though, this is the worst winter I've ever experienced. Just bone dry and it's been really cold for the most part. Today was incredible. Praying for precip right now though, we had some fires really close to my house today. You guys have been so spoiled over there!

True man, that was definitely over the top. It's Nebrasketball though, we suck EVERY year, so I don't blame our players for being stoked. Awesome game though! totally knocked over a hot girl storming the court though lol

Geos, we actually didn't have any problems here with the freezing thank god! Honestly though, this is the worst winter I've ever experienced. Just bone dry and it's been really cold for the most part. Today was incredible. Praying for precip right now though, we had some fires really close to my house today. You guys have been so spoiled over there!

I didn't see any problem with it. While Wisconsin isn't like that, many programs are like that. It was a huge moment for this program, they were pumped up, and after all, they are just college kids, I see nothing wrong with it. You see it at all levels, gotta let the kids have some fun.. They weren't taunting, just showing tons of emotion!

Oh... And that proposal during the senior night ceremony was EPIC.

I didn't see any problem with it. While Wisconsin isn't like that, many programs are like that. It was a huge moment for this program, they were pumped up, and after all, they are just college kids, I see nothing wrong with it. You see it at all levels, gotta let the kids have some fun.. They weren't taunting, just showing tons of emotion!

Oh... And that proposal during the senior night ceremony was EPIC.

Very good point; this wasn't show boating. This was literally the biggest game in the state of Nebraska in over 20 years. We hardly ever get a game like this where so much is on the line. The kids know that; this was the most emotion I have ever seen from a Nebraska team. Was an awesome game, and an awesome win for our program! 

Up in the low 40s already this morning. Noticing a lot of odd and ends sticking out of the road side snow banks. Bumpers, shoes, broken pipes! lol

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Temps stayed about 38 all night long, right about 40 now.

Heading into today, Dubuque's official snow depth is 7".. So lost about 5" since last week.

Pretty decent drop. Looking at the state of the snow cover all around this morning, I think less than 50% of the ground will be covered by the end of the day. Some roadside snow banks are almost black, they're so dirty!

Mercer Island, 350 ft