July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

I'm 1000 mi away and hike those trails every year, after discovering them long ago.

You hike the middle fork trails every year?    I don't remember see any pics.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Very true. There is also lots of evidence that the natives would purposefully set small intensity fires on an almost yearly basis, in certain areas. This was both to promote the growth of specific plants (such as huckleberries) and draw out game. Mill Plain, Fourth Plain and Fifth Plain in the Vancouver area all are named after historic, large fire-managed clearings of this type.

Can you imagine the outrage today if hunters were allowed to set small fires to smoke out game? And yet it might help solve the massive wildfire issue.

A forum for the end of the world.

Can you imagine the outrage today if hunters were allowed to set small fires to smoke out game? And yet it might help solve the massive wildfire issue.

The northwest is a much different place now than it was in pre-European times. Hunters would have a hard time starting a fire to smoke out elk on Mill Plain.

Smoking out game wasn't the purpose, either. The fires would create meadows that would draw out game for grazing the following year, which made for good hunting areas.

Me remember see pics.

I never said I hiked it yearly. Was just surprised you didn't know about the area.

I knew about the area in general... just not those specific trails.   

Jared said he hikes it every year which I thought was surprising.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The northwest is a much different place now than it was in pre-European times. Hunters would have a hard time starting a fire to smoke out elk on Mill Plain.

Smoking out game wasn't the purpose, either. The fires would create meadows that would draw out game for grazing the following year, which made for good hunting areas.

Ah. Was wondering why you used the term "draw out".

Duh. Everyone here has been there and knows them like the back of our hand.

Hard to believe you never explored YOUR OWN BACKYARD.

I don't doubt that you have been there... just surprised that you are in North Bend every year.   

I'm actually relieved that it looks like you were (likely) telling the truth about visiting here. :) I honestly want to believe you about things. You dug yourself into quite the hole there for a few years, though. I don't think you can blame anyone for being skeptical.

I don't blame you for holding some degree of skepticism, but there's also a point where it becomes a bit excessive.

You'll see plenty of pictures and video soon. The last thing I'd do is willingly dig myself into another hole.

• Like 1

Very true. There is also lots of evidence that the natives would purposefully set small intensity fires on an almost yearly basis, in certain areas. This was both to promote the growth of specific plants (such as huckleberries) and draw out game. Mill Plain, Fourth Plain and Fifth Plain in the Vancouver area all are named after historic, large fire-managed clearings of this type.

They also burned Douglas Firs along the valley bottom to encourage oak growth. They could harvest the acorns from oaks, while the good old Douglas Firs offered nothing. The Willamette Valley used to be a human managed landscape long before we arrived. 

• Like 1

No I think you are confusing yours with mine. The majority of your 10,000+ posts deal with what losers people who post a lot here are. :)

You're not a loser for trying to pick some pre-heatwave fights, but that is what you're doing.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

They also burned Douglas Firs along the valley bottom to encourage oak growth. They could harvest the acorns from oaks, while the good old Douglas Firs offered nothing. The Willamette Valley used to be a human managed landscape long before we arrived.

For sure. But not even close to the extent of human management now, of course.

About to have dinner outside on the patio, while the sun sets behind the evergreen trees. The temperature is holding steady in the 80s, and there's not even the slightest hint of humidity in the air. Feels amazing.

Back to my swampy reality tomorrow, though. Tampa is basically DC with palm trees in the summer.

About to have dinner outside on the patio, while the sun sets behind the evergreen trees. The temperature is holding steady in the 80s, and there's not even the slightest hint of humidity in the air. Feels amazing.

Back to my swampy reality tomorrow, though. Tampa is basically DC with palm trees in the summer.

Looks like you just missed TS Emily. 

Looks like you just missed TS Emily.

Yeah, but that Hippa island cyclone probably put Emily to shame by a good margin. So I'm not sore about missing it. :lol:

My stepmom did call me up this morning (at like 5AM PDT) asking me how to know if the house was struck by lightning. Apparently there was a vicious squall line with 50-60mph winds there this morning that produced the craziest lightning she's ever seen. That's notable to me given they get big lightning storms almost every afternoon there in the summer. Every year I visit it storms daily.

Certainly ironic, considering the number of Christmas tree farms (in the hills) there now.

I'm actually relieved that it looks like you were (likely) telling the truth about visiting here. :) I honestly want to believe you about things. You dug yourself into quite the hole there for a few years, though. I don't think you can blame anyone for being skeptical.

He didn't stop by to say hi :( I would have selfie'd the out of him and I lol

• Like 1

In tim's defense Middle Fork road was closed for a few years, I remember wanting to hike up Mailbox peak in '13 or '14 and finding out the road was being repaired.

Worth the wait... the new road is amazing.

I thought temps in the 50s with high winds and sideways rain was your ideal summer weather?

A clear evening with a temp around 80 sounds miserable.    I would rather enjoy dinner on the patio in cold rain with everything being blown away.    :)

I'm not. Only stopped there a couple times in my life, actually.

So you hike the middle fork trails every year?   That is basically North Bend.   

I'm on the ferry back home to the island and you can see the cloud of interior smoke now moving into the lower mainland.

Looks absolutely disgusting down some of those interior valleys today. I hope the stronger NW flow down the Strait of Georgia keeps this stuff contained but it's clearly not far from the coast and will get caught in the prevailing northerly flow. This could definitely limit daytime highs; but I would take extreme heat over smoke any day.

http://i.imgur.com/nW9yHBT.png