November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Heavy snow for everyone north of Olympia. 24-32 inches. 12 inches south of Olympia is fine by me =)

Sounds just like Dec.1996 except it was pretty much zero or ice south of Olympia!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

If I remember correctly, places south of Oregon City got totally screwed out of snow during the January 10th event last year right?

Especially south and east side of the valley. Dallas, OR got 7", Salem got about 2". South did a lot better 12/14, 1/7, and 3/6

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Guest El nina

Especially south and east side of the valley. Dallas, OR got 7", Salem got about 2". South did a lot better 12/14, 1/7, and 3/6

Ah ok. The east side of the valley seems to get the shaft quite often, especially with that warm nose. In regards to the warm nose, I think I'm just to the north of it. I remember with a freezing rain event last year it was still completely frozen at my place but just a few miles to the south it was totally thawed.

Hey now, I never wished snowless winters upon anybody! Well, not publicly at least If we're going there though....Oregon had a historic storm last year, time to shift things north

Not to mention they got nailed in 2013-14 also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

For the record I do want to say I never said I'm hoping others don't get snow.  I was just showing what is the best for snow in the Puget Sound region.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The new tax plan clearly favors areas Federal Way south.

The biggest winners if the tax bill goes through as it currently stands will be middle class couples who live in states with no income tax.  I'm all for it!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It actually stayed clear enough to drop into the 30s here tonight!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The biggest winners if the tax bill goes through as it currently stands is will be middle class couples who live in states with no income tax. I'm all for it!

The biggest winners will be the ultra rich and corporations. Keep rooting against your own best interest and living in a world of delusion though!

• Like 3

The biggest winners will be the ultra rich and corporations. Keep rooting against your own self interest and living in a world of delusion though!

Did you catch that Husky game...what an awesome win!!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Day 8-10 looks interesting. Cut-off low dives south towards Hawaii(Kona Low). Ridge offshore may slip/retrograde westward phasing with ridge over eastern Bering/western Alaska. Hmmm. Could just be the EURO cut-off low bias showing. We'll see.

12z ECMWF in 10 hours 40 minutes!

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/ecmwf/2017111900/240/500h_anom.na.png

We were snowshoeing today. Burnt Lake near Mount Hood. Ever heard of it? 4-6 inches of snow at the trailhead (2,600’) and a couple feet at the lake (4,100’).

attachicon.gif381DDF67-4AA5-4093-81D3-B6E7C243C55C.jpeg

attachicon.gif55C79B51-15FE-46E2-BF74-DEE7BA5DA170.jpeg

attachicon.gifBA5B2F93-070D-49D7-A7B8-058FDADDA450.jpeg

Nice!

Trailhead up the Lost Creek/Muddy Fork road, right? I think.

We were snowshoeing today. Burnt Lake near Mount Hood. Ever heard of it? 4-6 inches of snow at the trailhead (2,600’) and a couple feet at the lake (4,100’).

381DDF67-4AA5-4093-81D3-B6E7C243C55C.jpeg

55C79B51-15FE-46E2-BF74-DEE7BA5DA170.jpeg

C3A3945B-81F6-4F85-9910-CC084BDF09AF.jpeg

So great to see so much snow at elevation this early in the season!

Guest El nina

The biggest winners will be the ultra rich and corporations. Keep rooting against your own best interest and living in a world of delusion though!

There should be a politics thread so we don't have to read stuff like this.

It is actually true I would come out quite a bit ahead due to the much higher person exemption.

As for the corporate tax cut...we currently have the highest rate in the word which makes it in the best interest of corporations to keep their money in offshore accounts.  With the proposed cut the companies would gladly move a good portion of their money back into the country which would be taxed thus producing a net gain for our government.  A lower tax on a lot of money is a lot better than high tax on much less money (money that corporations currently keep offshore).

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Day 8-10 looks interesting. Cut-off low dives south towards Hawaii(Kona Low). Ridge offshore may slip/retrograde westward phasing with ridge over eastern Bering/western Alaska. Hmmm. Could just be the EURO cut-off low bias showing. We'll see.

12z ECMWF in 10 hours 40 minutes!

Not too shabby.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm starting an "on this day in history" thread.  On that thread myself and anyone else who wants to can post major events that happened on the current date in history.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The models are advertising northerly pressure gradients with the trough around day 9 or 10.  I like seeing that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

As for the corporate tax cut...we currently have the highest rate in the word which makes it in the best interest of corporations to keep their money in offshore accounts. With the proposed cut the companies would gladly move a good portion of their money back into the country which would be taxed thus producing a net gain for our government. A lower tax on a lot of money is a lot better than high tax on much less money (money that corporations currently keep offshore).

Yes, they are just breaking the law because they are being taxed so unfairly. I’m sure as soon as tax rates go down a little they will clean up their act and bring all their money back here. They won’t just continue to keep the bulk of their money in offshore accounts and become even richer by paying even less tax on what little money stays within reach of the IRS. Pretty naive take Jim.

People who are breaking the law and have more money than you could ever imagine are asking you to give them just a little more slack, give them a chance to get just a little richer and funnel more money from our economy, on the promise that they will miraculously see the error in their ways and stop breaking the law AFTER we give them even more leeway. And they have working class guys like you buying it hook line and sinker and actually defending these absurd ideas, where in reality you should feel outraged and robbed. Pretty sad.

• Like 1

11/19/17 12:10 AM Daily SST values

Regions

Nino 4: -0.929c (Dramatic cooling)

Nino 3.4: -1.046c (Cooling continues)

Nino 3: -0.981c (No changes)

Nino 1+2 : -1.387c (Some warming)

*My thoughts: What has been a dominant eastern based Nina may be transitioning to a basin wide event with appreciable cooling spreading westward. The current SST(Sea Surface Temperatures) Anomalies seems to indicate this.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

• Like 1

11/19/17 12:10 AM Daily SST values
Regions
Nino 4: -0.929c (Dramatic cooling)
Nino 3.4: -1.046c (Cooling continues)
Nino 3: -0.981c (No changes)
Nino 1+2 : -1.387c (Some warming)
*My thoughts: What has been a dominant eastern based Nina may be transitioning to a basin wide event with appreciable cooling spreading westward. The current SST(Sea Surface Temperatures) Anomalies seems to indicate this.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

The PDO is definitely shifting to negative also.  Possibly quite negative.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yes, they are just breaking the law because they are being taxed so unfairly. I’m sure as soon as tax rates go down a little they will clean up their act and bring all their money back here. They won’t just continue to keep the bulk of their money in offshore accounts and become even richer by paying even less tax on what little money stays within reach of the IRS. Pretty naive take Jim.

People who are breaking the law and have more money than you could ever imagine are asking you to give them just a little more slack, give them a chance to get just a little richer and funnel more money from our economy, on the promise that they will miraculously see the error in their ways and stop breaking the law AFTER we give them even more leeway. And they have working class guys like you buying it hook line and sinker and actually defending these absurd ideas, where in reality you should feel outraged and robbed. Pretty sad.

We'll see.  At any rate I would get a good cut with the package.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If I remember correctly, places south of Oregon City got totally screwed out of snow during the January 10th event last year right?

Portland literally got buried but a good chunk of people don't live in Portland and missed out quite a bit. Salem/Silverton I think managed to squeeze several inches but Stayton had 'nuttin' out of it.  Though it did flurry several times.  We went up to the hills and immediately hit winter wonderland.

While we are on the topic of our backyards, I have a question for some of the more knowledgeable guys on here. Brennan and I live in the same neighborhood now, and we have both been trying to figure out why this area (south lake whatcom, marked with an x) typically has it's own convergence zone. Multiple times last year I'd wake up to snow and a band of moisture which had formed close by, typically not stretching too far north or south. Going to attach an image of a terrain map and maybe someone on here could explain what's happening. Is the terrain to our west creating lift when the flow if orientated a certain way? Thanks guys 

g1mRbHh.jpg

Perhaps the westerly flow squeezes against the foothills to your east? Wouldn't the hills to the west of you block moisture?  Plus a lot of that area quickly goes above 300feet while Bellingham is near sea level and is more open so less moisture to squeeze out.

30 degrees with dense dog and tons of frost right now. By Kayla's standards this is my first freeze, but by my standards my first freeze was October 14 when it got down to 32.

Cool story.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history