Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

I'm guessing I now belong in this forum. :) Moved to Rupert Idaho just over a month ago. The thunderstorms have been amazing. Yesterday and today have been quite active. Had an amazing cloud pass over Saturday. I was told it was a shelf cloud. Very cool looking! I got an awesome picture but can't figure out how to load it here. I've read how to in the past on the Northwest forum but can't remember. :) Got it loaded on the Fox 12 blog a few days ago though!

Great to have you on here, the more the merrier! That was quite the active storm day yesterday indeed. Storms were bubbling up left and right, was tough to track all of them!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I saw a few tornado warned supercells move through the rexburg area. Crazy stuff!

I picked up .10 from some storms overnight at my place. Unfortunately the fun is over, warming up and drying out this week.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Wet and raw day today after yesterdays active day. Have already picked up 0.25" with still the heavier rain yet to come later this morning into early afternoon. Ground is very saturated at this point so the dry and warm weather this weekend will be a welcome sight! Still looking for my first 80F day on the year.

Currently 48F with light rain.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

First 80 of the year for me today! Cold front moved in around 1:30pm but it snuck up to 80.1F before the front came through cooling things quickly back into the mid 70’s the rest of the afternoon. Beautiful day!

Looks like possibly some severe storms tomorrow and storms/showers the rest of this week with temps mainly in the low to mid 70’s. Very summer’ish pattern setting in for the foreseeable future it would appear.

Cold Season 2023/24:

90s the last few days here, including 97 yesterday, and should be 90+ through Saturday.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Hot days here (especially considering an elevation of 6200 feet)  with nights near freezing and dry, dry, dry seems to be the theme here:

craig jun.JPG

It's still green here, but drying out quickly, especially with the hot and dry weather.

Pretty active day yesterday here with early morning storms and then again in the afternoon. Picked up some decent rainfall as well. 

Could see my second 80+ of the year tomorrow out ahead of a strong cold front that moves in here Saturday evening brining snow levels down to nearly Bozeman. Looks like I should at least see some snow fly here on Sunday at some point. Going to be quite the shock after Saturdays warmth!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Guest happ

Pretty active day yesterday here with early morning storms and then again in the afternoon. Picked up some decent rainfall as well. 

Could see my second 80+ of the year tomorrow out ahead of a strong cold front that moves in here Saturday evening brining snow levels down to nearly Bozeman. Looks like I should at least see some snow fly here on Sunday at some point. Going to be quite the shock after Saturdays warmth!

Amazing B)

Gonna be mid 90s here the next few days. This June is reminding me of 2012 so far...brutal fire season here that summer with a crazy heatwave towards the end of the month, hopefully the pattern shifts sooner this year.

Yep, shades of 2012 out here too. Pretty much a given that any substantial rain is over, so we will have to hope for the best. 

Gonna be mid 90s here the next few days. This June is reminding me of 2012 so far...brutal fire season here that summer with a crazy heatwave towards the end of the month, hopefully the pattern shifts sooner this year.

Jeez...you guys just can't seem to catch a break. Seems like no matter the pattern it has been bone dry and warm/hot for you guys over the past 10-12 months. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Gorgeous double rainbow after this evenings thunderstorms rolled through.

http://i67.tinypic.com/97raki.jpg

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Hot and very windy day here yesterday. 92F at BZN, 90F in town and 84F IMBY. All warmest temps of the year. The 92 at the airport was a new record for the day.

Quite the cold front moved through overnight with rain and temps in the mid 40's currently. Oh what a difference a day makes!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Hot and very windy day here yesterday. 92F at BZN, 90F in town and 84F IMBY. All warmest temps of the year. The 92 at the airport was a new record for the day.

Quite the cold front moved through overnight with rain and temps in the mid 40's currently. Oh what a difference a day makes!

Pretty crazy how much cooler you are than the airport.

A forum for the end of the world.

Pretty crazy how much cooler you are than the airport.

Yeah, that 1000' makes a big difference and probably the higher soil moisture content. The airport usually sees colder lows in the cold season than me but otherwise we're consistently 5-8F cooler on highs and lows in the warm season. The city of Bozeman is of course always cooler as well being 400' higher than the airport.

Cold Season 2023/24:

The trend continues; lows near freezing and highs near 90, though it's supposed to be cooler today.

Also, 29 at my house this morning.

attachicon.gifcr611.JPG

Wow, quite the swings. Need to bring a change to summer clothes as you go out the door in the morning!  :)

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

For accuracies sake: Bozeman MSU amended the high of 90F on Saturday to just 86F which makes a bit more sense since I only recorded 84F IMBY. 

Cool and showery conditions continue here with highs only in the 40's again today. Looks like we should drop below freezing tonight. Warmer and drier weather should return tomorrow and Wednesday before more wet and cool weather returns by the end of the week.  <_>

Cold Season 2023/24:

Dropped down to 28F in my yard this morning. 29F at the airport breaking a new record low for the date.

Feel for my neighbors gardens this morning.  :(  Always a gamble getting gardens going before June 15th here though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Dropped down to 28F in my yard this morning. 29F at the airport breaking a new record low for the date.

Feel for my neighbors gardens this morning.  :(  Always a gamble getting gardens going before June 15th here though.

Last year I barely saved my garden when it snowed May 17th. It's tough in mountain climates.

More hot weather for a few days here, then the chance of rain returns as moisture from Bud gets pulled north.

• Like 1

Last year I barely saved my garden when it snowed May 17th. It's tough in mountain climates.

More hot weather for a few days here, then the chance of rain returns as moisture from Bud gets pulled north.

Yeah, I didn't even realize that was going to be a factor until the radio weather guy mentioned it this morning.

If we don't start getting some moisture soon, much of West is going to burn to the ground, especially much of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah.

It's bad now, but it looks like relief is on the way for much of the region. Plenty of rain expected this weekend for some of the places that need it most (like the fire near Durango).

gfs_apcpn_swus_19.png

Here in SLC we are on the edge of Bud's influence, but yes areas SE of me should do well and boy do we need it.

Lots of rain/storms in the forecast over the next 4-7 days here with the moisture remnants of Bud even getting drawn up here. The ECMWF and GFS are both showing pretty widespread 1-3"+ rain amounts through Tuesday.

Nice to see things staying very green/wet this year which will hopefully keep the fire danger threat lower compared to last year as we head into July and August.  

gfs_apcpn_nwus_30.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Really smoky driving in to Boulder today. Could barely see the Rockies in the distance. Several fires in the region now burning.

The pattern change to cooler/wetter this weekend cannot get here soon enough.

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

• Like 1

And the lungs, in this case. You can taste the smoke in the air right now.

Ugh, that's never fun. Are you thinking the precip that's coming is going to be enough to knock the fires down?

Cold Season 2023/24:

Low of 77F at KLSC this morning...ugh.

Since I don't use AC for the most part it never got below 80F in my house last night. 

Still hoping for some rain around the 19th from the upper level low that will settle into the area, but moisture from Bud will stay entire SE of my area. Hope it can put out some fires.

Ugh, that's never fun. Are you thinking the precip that's coming is going to be enough to knock the fires down?

I think so, but may not be until Monday or Tuesday. The next couple days will probably be bad with winds kicking up ahead of the approaching system.