March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Just now, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

I think you mean 25%, most posters here are in that (but not all), but I don't know if anyone here is in the top 1%, except maybe mrsnowmizer..

And don't act like you aren't in the top 20% too.

Technically speaking, everyone on this forum is likely in the top 0.5% relative to the global population.

• Thanks 1
  • scream 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Way too early to decipher details at the regional-level.

If it’s not cloudy we’re planning on driving to OH or PA/NY, should be a 5hr trip at most.

Obviously everyone here knows that, there's no need for the reminder, but yet we still model ride 384hr 18z gfs like it's the gospel. 

At this point I'm model riding April 8th like I would with an arctic outbreak.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

All this does is make you look like a jealous individual. 

That much is obvious.   He obsesses over it all the time... transplants and other BS.  

And guilty conscious?  Hardly.  My wife and I left MN with $2,000 in the bank and an old Pontiac.   She put herself through college by signing up to be a nurse in the Navy which is why went to San Diego after college.  I paid for my own college by working every weekend.   2 years after leaving MN we bought our first house in San Diego.   I was obsessed with the weather when I was 3 years old.   Walking around the backyard in the snow and narrating my own forecasts.   By 5... I could free-hand draw the map of the US which I would use in my forecasts I presented to my parents.   I was born being fascinated with the weather.  😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Technically speaking, everyone on this forum is likely in the top 0.5% relative to the global population.

A lot of folks in poorer regions of the world probably keep close track of the weather too. But not for jet ski trips and witnessing astronomical events, but rather the well being of their crops and livestock. I think @SilverFallsAndrew is the only one here who would fall into that category 🐑 🌽 

• Rain 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That much is obvious.   He obsesses over it all the time... transplants and other BS.  

And guily conscious?  Hardly.  My wife and I left MN with $2,000 in the bank and an old Pontiac.   She put herself through college by signing up to be a nurse in the Navy which is why went to San Diego after college.  I paid for my own college by working every weekend.   2 years after leaving MN we bought our first house in San Diego.   I was obsessed with the weather when I was 3 years old.   Walking around the backyard in the snow and narrating my own forecasts.   By 5... I could free-hand draw the map of the US which I would use in my forecasts I presented to my parents.   I was born being fascinated with the weather.  😀

If you love weather why the hell would you layover in San Diego? That’s where people move to escape weather.

19 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

A lot of folks in poorer regions of the world probably keep close track of the weather too. But not for jet ski trips and witnessing astronomical events, but rather the well being of their crops and livestock. I think @SilverFallsAndrew is the only one here who would fall into that category 🐑 🌽 

This is a little preachy.

• Like 2
  • scream 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Phil said:

If you love weather why the hell would you layover in San Diego? That’s where people move to escape weather.

Dude... I swear you half read everything.

Read it again.  She was stationed there.   Do you think the Navy gives you a choice?

But we ended up falling in love with it there and stayed for 12 years.   Only when our twin boys were toddlers did we yearn to go back to where there are forests and greenery.    Almost moved back to MN but we really didn't want to deal with the extreme cold there.   And then my wife got an amazing opportunity in Seattle.   Our sons still thank us for allowing them to grow up here.   

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

Considering nearly 10% of the world's population lives in the US and Western Europe, that's definitely not true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • scream 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Dude... I swear you half read everything.

Read it again.  She was stationed there.   Do you think the Navy gives you a choice?

But we ended up falling in love with it there and stayed for 12 years.   Only when our twin boys were toddlers did we yearn to go back to where there are forests and greenery.    Almost moved back to MN but we really didn't want to deal with the extreme cold there.   And then my wife got an amazing opportunity in Seattle.   Our sons still thank us for allowing them to grow up here.   

One of my family members (cousin’s husband) just completed his deployment in December, that’s why they lived in CO Springs (I visited them last May if you remember). I know how it works, they decide where you go.

I asked because you’ve told me in the past you lived in San Diego for “over a decade” but never explained why. And still haven’t. 😉

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Considering nearly 10% of the world's population lives in the US and Western Europe, that's definitely not true.

You forgot to unskew your distribution, silly.

If you make 50-60K annually in the US, you are very likely within in the top-1%, globally.

Not to mention differences in property values/cost of living. Makes a big difference in terms of net worth (by this metric, Americans are even wealthier compared to income alone).

If you make 50-60K annually, you’re likely in the top-1% globally.

Not to mention differences in property values/cost of living. Makes a big difference in terms of net worth.

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

• Popcorn 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

44 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

99% of folx in here are soft as a babies behind.

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

One of my family members (cousin’s husband) just completed his deployment in December, that’s why they lived in CO Springs (I visited them last May if you remember). I know how it works, they decide where you go.

I asked because you’ve told me in the past you lived in San Diego for “over a decade” but never explained why. And still haven’t. 😉

I haven't told you yet?   Literally just did.   

We were told to move to there for 4 years by the US military.   Pretty simple.   Then bought a house and fell in the love with the area.   And we had good jobs and we were settled.   Our kids reaching school age prompted us to look elsewhere.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I haven''t told you yet?   Literally just did.   

We were told to move to there for 4 years by the US military.   Pretty simple.   Then bought a house and fell in the love with the area.   And we had good jobs and we were settled.   Our kids reaching school age prompted us to look elsewhere.  

You have mentioned your decade in San Diego multiple times over the years.

The fact you were there for so long is what confuses me. No weather at all for 12 years? That sounds miserable, I doubt I could stay in a marriage if that was the ultimatum.

• Sun 1

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That’s what happens in places where the 1% becomes the 99% ;)

You have a roof over your head and a car and have easy access to food and health care and can drive on roads to get to your job and go hiking and out to dinner and can call the police if you are in danger and travel all the way to Texas to look at the sun for 4 minutes.   Why don't you move to Ethiopia and challenge yourself?    But you spend most of your time whiny about any nice weather shown in the models.    Talk about being as soft as a baby's butt.   

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

If you make 50-60K annually in the US, you are very likely within in the top-1%, globally.

Not to mention differences in property values/cost of living. Makes a big difference in terms of net worth (by this metric, Americans are even wealthier compared to income alone).

You really think there's only ~75 million people in the world who make over 50-60k? That's absurd.

The median household income in the US is 75K and we're over 4% of the world's population. Not to mention Western Europe, Japan, and all the wealthy people in China and around the world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Popcorn 2

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

You have mentioned your decade in San Diego multiple times over the years.

The fact you were there for so long is what confuses me. No weather at all for 12 years? That sounds miserable, I doubt I could stay in a marriage if that was the ultimatum.

I don't really care what you think or would have done.   I was not asking for your permission to love the San Diego area for a variety of reasons.  We were very happy there. There are many factors in life beyond just the weather.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

You really think there's only ~75 million people in the world who make over 50-60k? That's absurd.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2021/07/21/are-you-in-the-global-middle-class-find-out-with-our-income-calculator/

Income ≠ wealth, necessarily, but the big picture is relatively unchanged.

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I don't really care what you think or would have done.   I was not asking for your permission to love the San Diego area for a variety of reasons.   We were very happy there.    There are many factors in life beyond just the weather.

Surprised Jesse isn’t out frolicking in this beautiful rain today.   I guess weather forum drama was just more tempting.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Troll 1
  • bongocat-test 1

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I don't really care what you think or would have done.   I was not asking for your permission to love the San Diego area for a variety of reasons.   We were very happy there.    There are many factors in life beyond just the weather.

You can do whatever you want, it’s not my business. I never said your choices were wrong. But I’m allowed to be curious as to why.

Like you, I was also obsessed with the weather at 3 years old. I figured you were as obsessed as me, but apparently you’ve chosen a healthier approach. Good on you. 🍻 

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Phone forecasts can be pretty misleading.

The phone (IBM) seemed to fare better than all the other models including hi-res stuff for today out on the north coast 🤷🏻‍♂️ Everything way too wet.

Def not complaining, partly cloudy again, 52. Glorious - had to break out the limes 😎🍻 

IMG_2528.thumb.jpeg.7c0b760acb8970274070345ee090b3cb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not sure how this is supposed to support your claim. I'm aware most of the world lives on less money than we do. What I'm disputing is the claims that "members of this forum are in the top 0.5%" and "50-60K a year puts you in the top 1% globally." Both are wrong by at least a factor of 10.

That link you shared says that 60K per year income puts you in the top 11.8% globally. Not close to 1%.

17 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

The median household income in the US is 75K and we're over 4% of the world's population. Not to mention Western Europe, Japan, and all the wealthy people in China and around the world.

Wait are we switching to household income vs individual income? You edited this post after I replied.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

You can do whatever you want, it’s not my business. But I’m allowed to be curious as to why.

Like you, I was also obsessed with the weather at 3 years old. I figured you were as obsessed as me, but apparently you’ve chosen a healthier approach. Good on you. 🍻 

I would track rain events there like I do ridges here.   I would skip work sometimes to enjoy a big rain event there.   Now I might take off work to enjoy a perfect sunny summer day.   I always find something to track.  

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Not sure how this is supposed to support your claim. I'm aware most of the world lives on less money than we do. What I'm disputing is the claims that "members of this forum are in the top 0.5%" and "50-60K a year puts you in the top 1% globally." Both are wrong by at least a factor of 10.

That link you shared says that 60K per year income puts you in the top 11.8% globally. Not close to 1%.

Top 0.5% in overall wealth. That’s why I said *in the US* since the correlation between annual income and net worth can be very different from country to country.

Income by itself doesn’t tell you much.

Starting to look like we get one final shot of winter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Snow 1
  • Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Thanks for the offer, but luckily we picked up a hotel reservation last night a bit outside of the eclipse totality area in Arkansas as our backup plan. Traffic will probably be crazy that day so if needed we'll just have to leave at 4am to secure a spot to view the eclipse.

12z run was the first great run for my planned area in Texas since Mondays 18z, really terrible for Arkansas though. Only 294 hours out, probably no room for it to improve at this range. Kinda weird that this map uses blue as clouds and white as clear skies, youd think itd be the opposite.cloudcover.us_sc.thumb.png.d69fc7dbeb9b1f7e956a73bf2266b4e2.png

Lotsa time for more suspense to build!

• Excited 1
  • Sad 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Wait are we switching to household income vs individual income? You edited this post after I replied.

It doesn't matter which metric you use. The world is not so poor that 99% of people are poorer than someone who makes 50-60K. Not even close.

Top 0.5% in overall wealth. That’s why I said *in the US* since the correlation between annual income and net worth can be very different from country to country.

Income by itself doesn’t tell you much.

If you want to go by wealth, then many people on this forum have a negative overall wealth due to debt, so they definitely aren't in the top 0.5%. Technically they'd have less wealth than a debtless person living in a mud hut.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

The phone (IBM) seemed to fare better than all the other models including hi-res stuff for today out on the north coast 🤷🏻‍♂️ Everything way too wet.

Def not complaining, partly cloudy again, 52. Glorious - had to break out the limes 😎🍻 

IMG_2528.thumb.jpeg.7c0b760acb8970274070345ee090b3cb.jpeg

Nice.

I was going to mention earlier that the ECMWF has been showing quick clearing of the main frontal band by noon for many runs.   It never looked like an all-day soaker along the coast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawniganLake said:

I think we may have to segregate the forum by income level so that everyone can post in a comfortable and safe environment.  

the only currency I need are Palm fronds 

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • Sun 1
  • Troll 1

15 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

It doesn't matter which metric you use. The world is not so poor that 99% of people are poorer than someone who makes 50-60K. Not even close.

If you want to go by wealth, then many people on this forum have a negative overall wealth due to debt, so they definitely aren't in the top 0.5%. Technically they'd have less wealth than a debtless person living in a mud hut.

But debt is conceptual (technically), while standard of living/material possession isn’t. What really matters is the latter. Otherwise we wouldn’t need currency at all.

Of course that opens up other problems w/rt how wealth is calculated. It’s also messy since our system(s) of values differ across both the individual and societal spectra.

I think a metric like purchasing power is the best measure of economic prosperity.

• Like 1

@Phil you're making an entirely different and unrelated point. I don't disagree that the top 1% of people possess an absurdly high proportion of the world's wealth. That is a fact. What I disagree with is that most people on this forum (or someone making 50-60K a year) are in that top 1% (or even 0.5% as you said.) Simple math based on the proportion of people who live in First World Countries with median incomes higher than that shows that can't be true.

• Like 2