November 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

GGEM probably shows 3-5 inches of snow with that 2nd clipper. 11 MM=0.43 QPF and then you have this on the next frame with some additional totals added on:

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/136_100.gif

I've seen some models take these storms, esp the 3rd one, to our south even, so I don't mind where we sit, some models south, some north, but am kinda concerned we find a way to get passed every direction and end up with pointless bare ground when the arctic air hits.

However, if this can line up just right hoping the mountain range and develops in the Plains, it could really blossom into a nice system as it heads into the lower lakes and/or OV.  00z GGEM blows up an east coast storm with this system early next week.  Still alot of time to see how this energy is handled along the arctic front.

There's our doughnut we know all to well out here. I'd just like to see some snowflakes. Don't really care if it's a dusting. I think we may need to throw in the towel out here with this storm, run after run has given us no precipitation whatsoever from this system. 

GGEM gets the 540 line down into GA/MS/AL on the 13th. That's cold. 

I was just looking at that and I scratch my head....are you kidding me???  GGEM is always over blown on the cold but still, it could get down to freezing down into the southern states!  Historic cold the way its looking.  Source region of the cold, tanking AO, SSW, everything lining up to an incredible arctic outbreak.

T-minus 45 minutes for the 00z Euro...btw, is it just me or has this Autumn been much windier than normal???  Winds are getting pretty gusty out there today and it feels balmy with a temp @ 60F ATM.  Supposed to be a pretty windy week with all these Clippers traversing the region.  Man, you gotta love the wx pattern developing this season and the possibility of where it can go from here is epic.

• Like 1

If it wasn't for that arctic high moving in, GGEM would have been one heck of a storm for most of us. 

Exactly, just need that energy to get out ahead of the main HP so it could cut underneath it and then head east.  The 12z Euro was showing a little sign of this happening and the 00z Control.

I got my first rain in three weeks late yesterday(0.16").  I'm looking forward to seeing some more exciting weather.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I wouldn't kick the snow idea out just because one run doesn't show it. I have a feeling the deep trough will come back on the GFS in a day or two.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I wouldn't kick the snow idea out just because one run doesn't show it. I have a feeling the deep trough will come back on the GFS in a day or two.

I concur.  It is common for models to show a system over a week out, lose it, then bring it back a few days later.  It is extremely difficult for the models to analyze the energy way out in the western Pacific and determine how it will interact with the developing trough this weekend into early next week.  I have seen this happen over and over again in the modeling.  Just need to be patient and see how this evolves.  I wouldn't discount snow flying in the air just yet next week.

12z Euro back with a pretty potent system developing over the high Plains on Monday out ahead of the arctic HP.  This is significant as it has the potential to dig and intensify especially on the leading edge of an intense arctic attack.  Just need to see where this storm ejects east of the Rockies.

Wow!  Bingo Front Row!  Wisco gets hammered this run. This is exactly what I was talking about.  It's exciting to see the Euro come back with the a significant system.  Track/intensity still in question but nonetheless, someone is going to get hit hard in the region.  This storm just blossoms near the western Lakes.

N MI gets creamed this run with up to 17" of snow!  That would be insane for early November, esp if lake effect kicks in on the back side of the storm.

Temps coming in colder mid next week.  If there is even close to a snow pack this deep you can bet these temps will get this cold, especially down stream off the snow pack where there won't be any snow.  Unreal cold.

• Like 1

I wish accuweather would get their act together so I could start reviewing the text output.  Tom any idea how much of that snow is from this one storm vs a total over 180 hours?

It's all [pretty much from one storm...you can shave off a dusting - 1/2" from Sunday's weak disturbance on Sunday in IA.

Up near Green Bay and Travers City, they get nearly 1.0" qpf from this system and temps in the mid 20 temps, 850's between -8C - -12C so the potential for higher ratio snows is on the table exceeding these 10:1 ratio amounts.  A typical mid winter storm system in early November.  Unbelievable.

I just read yesterday actually, on Lezak's blog about how the Euro is more accurate than the GFS when its a week or more out. Maybe Euro is onto something. Dang, that is back at giving me 5" with the center of the cold right over me. Hmmm. Might be a birthday gift for me after all, haha.