January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

Any follow up to that?

For what its worth, just because a lot of you will be discussing it or have interest in it, please contribute to the NFL Thread if you are a fan of the sport. If you are not and want to discuss weather, then please do so. I want to hear more about this tornado and the windy weather around the area.

MaVA35QW_normal.jpeg Scott Sistek @ScottSKOMO  ·  46m 46 minutes ago

Weak tornado in Gig Harbor appears to be confirmed. Radar indicated rotation. Minor damage to loose items.

Multiple public reports of a tornado in Gig Harbor, Wash., around 2:25 pm PT, @NWSSeattle says

B7qzVQlCUAAFJf6.png
  • Like 1

So did Green Bay in the first half. We have been and will continue to be a second half team.

Not to that extent, though.

Either way, the 'Boys, Pats, and Hawks happen to be my least favorite teams of all time..I have no investments at this point.

Wow! Hit .50" hail on I-90 around 50 minutes ago in between North Bend and Snoqualmie. One minute it was clear and everyone was going 70mph or so and then the next it was pounding hail with around an inch of slushy hail covering the ground with cars sliding around a bit going 20-30mph. 

• Like 2

The EPS/GEFS are now both insistent on a major SSW to close out January..full wind reversal in the upper levels. If that verifies, a lot of people may sit in the icebox all the way into April.

The EPS/GEFS are now both insistent on a major SSW to close out January..full wind reversal in the upper levels. If that verifies, a lot of people may sit in the icebox all the way into April.

Enjoy! I'm about ready to write this winter off.

The lowlands don't really do the icebox thing after about march 10.

A lot of people = people east of the Rockies. :)

• Like 4

I must admit it was interesting today.  Unquestionably the most lightning I've ever seen in January, several intense downpours, and some hail.  Out of season thunderstorms and tornados seem to be the hallmarks of this regime.  Out of all the years I've kept weather records I've only recorded thunder in January two times and today featured two cells that produced thunder here and one was quite active.

Too bad the hopeful signs that were showing up yesterday for a cooler regime have disappeared.  I can't imagine what it will take to finally break us out of this.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A lot of people = people east of the Rockies. :)

There are a lot more people east of the Rockies.

Ironically, man-made global warming effects them less. Instead, it targets the Prius-driving denizens of the Pacific Northwest, in an inevitable march towards Mediterranean-ness.

Mother Nature is a *****.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Wow! Hit .50" hail on I-90 around 50 minutes ago in between North Bend and Snoqualmie. One minute it was clear and everyone was going 70mph or so and then the next it was pounding hail with around an inch of slushy hail covering the ground with cars sliding around a bit going 20-30mph. 

Do you mean the hail was half inch diameter or there was a half inch of hail on the ground?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Winterdog

I think it's about time to hang it up Phil. We live over here. We don't care. It's over. We will not be sitting in an icebox. We will be watching moss grow on our lawns until July, then our glorious summer will begin. Soon after that our thoughts will once again turn towards the upcoming winter with the hope that it will deliver the ever elusive "goods".
  • Like 2

Enjoy! I'm about ready to write this winter off.

The lowlands don't really do the icebox thing after about march 10.

A couple of times it has done it in mid March.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think it's about time to hang it up Phil. We live over here. We don't care. It's over. We will not be sitting in an icebox. We will be watching moss grow on our lawns until July, then our glorious summer will begin. Soon after that our thoughts will once again turn towards the upcoming winter with the hope that it will deliver the ever elusive "goods".

We all need to bear in mind this season and most recent seasons aren't truly representative of what it can do here.  We are just as capable of big cold anomalies as anywhere else.  I am dying to see the day the east finally gets payback and they suffer through the huge positive departure winters.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I must admit it was interesting today.  Unquestionably the most lightning I've ever seen in January, several intense downpours, and some hail.  Out of season thunderstorms and tornados seem to be the hallmarks of this regime.  Out of all the years I've kept weather records I've only recorded thunder in January two times and today featured two cells that produced thunder here and one was quite active.

Too bad the hopeful signs that were showing up yesterday for a cooler regime have disappeared.  I can't imagine what it will take to finally break us out of this.

Phil is touting a "full wind reversal in the upper levels". Sounds like something that could really shake things up. Winter could last through April.

We all need to bear in mind this season and most recent seasons aren't truly representative of what it can do here.  We are just as capable of big cold anomalies as anywhere else.  I am dying to see the day the east finally gets payback and they suffer through the huge positive departure winters.

The east has seen plenty of positive winter departures in recent years. They always got hit more often than us even in colder times thanks to topography/climo, so it would stand to reason that even during periods of dwindling NH cold on a long term scale they would still get hit more than us while our marginal climate is all but shut out.

We all need to bear in mind this season and most recent seasons aren't truly representative of what it can do here. We are just as capable of big cold anomalies as anywhere else. I am dying to see the day the east finally gets payback and they suffer through the huge positive departure winters.

It happened in 2011-12 & the first half of 2012-13. We're definitely not overdue.

It happened in 2011-12 & the first half of 2012-13. In fact, February 2011 to January 2013 was a full out torch. We're definitely not overdue.

Yeah...I'm just getting really tired of this pattern.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I remember the good ol' days like 2008 and 2011. Back then, lowland snow could happen well into spring. Hell, one year Pullman even saw snow in June!

When the western lowlands plunge into the icebox in mid-March give me a call.

That hasn't happened in any of our lifetimes.

Yup, it's like the whole system is warming or something!

It is quite astonishing to note Western Montana has actually pulled off a normal winter so far with normal temps and normal snowfall.  I have no idea how with the awful pattern the NW has been in.  I've been doing a lot of research on Missoula and I like what I see.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9