January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

Hah, an opinion piece littered with inaccuracies. I love how the writer uses a couple of dry years in the Western US as prima facie evidence that we're all doomed. Dooooomed!

The article is obviously absurd.  It was only a few years ago the Cascades were consistently seeing near record snowfalls pretty consistently.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Could it be time to cue the Jaws music?

Not yet, but I have the track ready in case early/mid February decides to perform..40/60 chance?

I doubt that.  We've had terrible winters in the distant past also.  As I've mentioned before the winters from 1937-38 through 1941-42 rivals any horrible 5 winter period we have had in recent times.  The big wild card is the coming solar grand minimum.  We will soon find out just how much of a factor that was in causing the Little Ice Age.

I kinda posted it as a joke. You are right, the article is silly, but after two lackluster winters it makes you feel pessimistic 

Hopeless for January--at least through 240 hours. Need the energy in the GOA to die down.

The GOA low is a product of the convection associated with the MJO over the west Pacific. That will calm down in the next couple weeks as the wave dies and the pattern resets.

• Like 1

The GOA low is a product of the convection associated with the MJO over the west Pacific. That will calm down in the next couple weeks as the wave dies and the pattern resets.

I'm not a great MJO guy like you and Phil, but I do understand the fundamentals--and I think I would agree with your assessment.  Good call!

• Like 1

Regardless, 12/29/09 was the last borderline setup that really came through for us in the snow department. We're probably due.

Could be, although for us January 2012 probably qualifies as we were supposed to be just on the short end of things pretty much completely but ended up with a quick six inches or so.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

No hope til February, and Phil said earlier that we have a 40 percent chance, of course if things go right.

That is a ballsy call.

Instead of taking others' comments out of context, maybe try making a forecast of your own?

Forcing retrograde all but assures the return of a -EPO to close out January. Problem is unlike the -AAM integral response in the tropics last time, now we have a +AAM response. We know what that means..

#polewardtransport #ElNino

Forcing retrograde all but assures the return of a -EPO to close out January. Problem is unlike the -AAM integral response in the tropics last time, now we have a +AAM response. We know what that means..

#polewardtransport #ElNino

Nothing worked out(other than a brief cold intrusion) with the late December cold snap with the right things in line here in the PNW, so who knows, maybe the next round will be epic here with no indices matching up they way they "should".

This is not a smart a** comment towards you Phil, just a thought.

• Like 1

Nothing worked out(other than a brief cold intrusion) with the late December cold snap with the right things in line here in the PNW, so who knows, maybe the next round will be epic here with no indices matching up they way they "should".

This is not a smart a** comment towards you Phil, just a thought.

Could be. Happened in 2013-14 (-PNA/-EPO/+NAO under a strong +QBO/-AAM transport base).

Looking at the mesosphere right now, it's pretty clear that solar has screwed with things..not your typical -QBO eddy flux either.

Could be. Happened in 2013-14 (-PNA/-EPO/+NAO under a strong +QBO/-AAM transport base).

Looking at the mesosphere right now, it's pretty clear that solar has screwed with things..not your typical -QBO eddy flux either.

Things just feel off with the weather this winter season.

• Like 1

Things just feel off with the weather this winter season.

That's because they are, lol. Preconditioning for a pretty big climate shift in a few years.

Fall/Winter 2014-15:

1) Record low Walker/Hadley intensity ratio

2) Record poleward eddy flux

3) Record -QBO in the stratification process

That's because they are..preconditioning for a climate shift.

1) Record low Walker/Hadley intensity ratio

2) Record poleward eddy flux

3) Record -QBO in the stratification process

To name a few of many oddities this year..just wait until solar starts declining

Big article about these very issues in the National Enquirer today.

• Like 1

Big article about these very issues in the National Enquirer today.

Plenty of depositions to take here ;) I'll link you to the literature if you're interested in reading it

Plenty of depositions to take here ;) I'll link you to the literature if you're interested in reading it

I'm fine, thanks. I don't mind being one of the clueless millions who will be swept into ice age chaos with little or no warning.

• Like 1

Nice week considering 4 inches of rain fell at my house. I have no complaints about focusing the rain and then having 4 days of sunny or partly sunny weather with highs in the 50s. I would take that every time over 5 days of drizzle adding up to half an inch for the week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This guy made the mistake to look at the forum tonight on his phone before driving to Wendy's for dinner...he never made it to Wendy's. This weather is beyond a snooze fest.

image.jpg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Regardless, 12/29/09 was the last borderline setup that really came through for us in the snow department. We're probably due.

3/21/2012 was pretty nice down there. Widespread 1-3" in the Portland area with a northward sagging cold front. Even if it did melt the next afternoon, it was a pretty unique setup.