February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

It always seems to be a bit of a waste to have cold and no snow. I remember seeing pictures and a video of a home made snow machine. Looking forward to the crisp sunny days.

It will be beyond crisp by quite a margin. Face numbing would be a better description.

The only thing I can say is mother nature is proving beyond a doubt she is still capable of delivering major cold waves to the NW. Only a matter of time before we get some very snowy ones.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would not be surprised to see this first push of moisture not being the one that warms us up. I've seen this before, could be a few days after the weekend before we come out.

That would be awesome.

It will also be interesting to watch the day 9 time frame since there is hint of brief cool down there. The end of 18z isn't that far from something that could evolve into a good pattern also. It sure looks like there will be a boat load of snow for the mountains in the week two period.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just checked... there was TONS of snow at my location from mid-January through early March of 1933.   

There was almost 2 feet of snow on the ground when the early February blast arrived.

The green lawn outside my window tells me emphatically that the overall pattern is different this year.

I am totally amazed how little snow you have had the last 2 years.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

That would be awesome.

It will also be interesting to watch the day 9 time frame since there is hint of brief cool down there. The end of 18z isn't that far from something that could evolve into a good pattern also. It sure looks like there will be a boat load of snow for the mountains in the week two period.

I think this because I don't see anything that points to a system just blasting in. The jet is starting to back off and pull back for next weekend.

Just checked... there was TONS of snow at my location from mid-January through early March of 1933.   

There was almost 2 feet of snow on the ground when the early February blast arrived.

The green lawn outside my window tells me emphatically that the overall pattern is different this year.

That is odd considering Seattle was nearly snowless that winter. The 1930s were pretty bizarre.

Even Landsburg only had a couple of inches in the Feb 1933 blast.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It will be beyond crisp by quite a margin. Face numbing would be a better description.

The only thing I can say is mother nature is proving beyond a doubt she is still capable of delivering major cold waves to the NW. Only a matter of time before we get some very snowy ones.

Very well put. 

Behind on my model runs this weekend, but the 00Z GGEM showed a massively awesome ice storm for PDX, rivalling the one we just had in Toronto during Xmas. I don't wish that on anyone.

Not much snow, though, for PDX next weekend. The most I can find for PDX would result in <1" but these details always tend to sort themselves out as the time approaches.

2" seems decent for Jesse's locale, although the GGEM spits out a monstrous 6-8" dump. I really hope that verifies for everyone's sake.

SEA looking at <2" on the GFS & GGEM. I do have my issues with the GGEM right now (inconsistency) 

Loving the GGEM for my hometown next weekend with 10" of snow, but the GFS looks a bit more realistic hold on the pattern with 4". 

Pros right now: low formation comes from central Canada (from the piece of the PV, for those meteorologically tuned) so sampling is taken care of for the most part which results in less model mayhem; whereas if this thing formed off the Pacific, it would be more difficult to gauge what something (out of nothing in existence, yet) would end up producing

Cons right now: not the most organized system, especially dry in nature given the origin of formation, so spotty accumulations will result in happy and not-so happy campers (northern sections and the gorge could see some impressive totals >4" with most areas seeing <2")

I also really hate the LR on the 12Z Euro, but third week of February may give us another shot at this, which is great. We'll see how things go. I just really hate the inconsistency on the GGEM to really trust it at the moment. Loving the closed low (H5) trough over Idaho, though. That's huge for us. GFS seems more reasonable with its handling but the GGEM could always be onto something. That model has really improved over the last couple years.

• Like 1

I'll be dipped. In late Jan 1933 Palmer had 24 inches of snow on the ground in late Jan while Landsburg only had a trace. Palmer is only about 300 feet higher and about 10 miles SE of Landsburg. Jan 1933 was almost a dead ringer for this one in most places...dry and fairly mild. The microclimates in this area are truly amazing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'll be dipped. In late Jan 1933 Palmer had 24 inches of snow on the ground in late Jan while Landsburg only had a trace. Palmer is only about 300 feet higher and about 10 miles SE of Landsburg. Jan 1933 was almost a dead ringer for this one in most places...dry and fairly mild. The microclimates in this area are truly amazing.

I can't believe you didn't know that Jim. Your slipping. ;)  :)

Pendleton reporting snow now. Some snowcover in the basin going into this could really help keep gorge outflow locations frigid Wed-Fri.

I am in Tigard with my girlfriend's family today. We just got back from a walk at Cooper Mountain Nature park before the game. There are some interesting clouds out, with towering cumulus over the Cascades. Almost looks like a summer t-storm pattern. The north wind really was picking up too, and it felt chilly and dry. I think the next few days could definitely hold some surprises.

• Like 1

Pendleton reporting snow now. Some snowcover in the basin going into this could really help keep gorge outflow locations frigid Wed-Fri.

I am in Tigard with my girlfriend's family today. We just got back from a walk at Cooper Mountain Nature park before the game. There are some interesting clouds out, with towering cumulus over the Cascades. Almost looks like a summer t-storm pattern. The north wind really was picking up too, and it felt chilly and dry. I think the next few days could definitely hold some surprises.

Yeah, I think the eastside will be snow covered going into mid-week. Should be helpful when the east wind is blowing. 

Temperature is at 39F here and falling after a high of 42F. DP is at 29F, but unfortunately it looks like the north sound will almost definitely go into this snow less. Really hoping for a transition event at the end where I can get a couple inches of snow. Also looking forward to this week where it seems to me I could have close to single digit temperatures. In February 2011 I got down to 11F so it seems like it is possible, even with no snow.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Operational 18z GFS is once again the warmest member, at least in the short term.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

Is the game on today?

No. According to all my research it starts next Saturday. Only then will we know whether snow or rain triumphs. :)

• Like 1

Snowfall Totals

No. According to all my research it starts next Saturday. Only then will we know whether snow or rain triumphs. :)

Indeed. IMO the drama of whether we will get snow is much more important than the game today. The thrill we will all feel when we finally get a one foot snowstorm in one or all of the big metro areas will be insane.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Excellent!

Record posting from Mr Dadio today. :D

I haven't been posting much for a while. I've been busy getting a novel ready for publishing. With this impending epic cold snap I had to hang out in the weather forum. It's just about only me and the crickets on here.

I haven't been posting much for a while. I've been busy getting a novel ready for publishing. With this impending epic cold snap I had to hang out in the weather forum. It's just about only me and the crickets on here.

I'm lurkin' but not chirpin' there will be much to talk about later I'm sure and congrats on the novel buddy, I hope you do get published :)

Checked with my Mom in the Walla Walla, Washington area. They are getting snow and the ground is turning white. I remember sitting at the big picture window watching snowflakes as a kid. That was the beginnings of my love affair with weather.

• Like 1

I'm lurkin' but not chirpin' there will be much to talk about later I'm sure and congrats on the novel buddy, I hope you do get published :)

Thanks! I appreciate that. It really isn't hard to get published. Anyone can do it now. I'm just wanting the book to be great. Kind of like us and the weather.

Thanks! I appreciate that. It really isn't hard to get published. Anyone can do it now. I'm just wanting the book to be great. Kind of like us and the weather.

Is it really that easy?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I checked in with a reasonably chilly 45-26 today. Not too bad of a kick off for the cold wave.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Is it really that easy?

Anyone that can throw some words together can publish via a huge variety of methods. The publishing industry is going through a huge amount of change. It is much harder to publish with a publishing house.

What is your temperature now?