April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

My god, season eight was awful Tim...

We finished season 7 and sort of lost momentum.   We don't have Showtime but can get it through Amazon Prime and we were debating doing that for season 8 but the trailer looked pretty dull and uninteresting.     Just not motivated now.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We finished season 7 and sort of lost momentum. We don't have Showtime but can get it through Amazon Prime and we were debating doing that for season 8 but the trailer looked pretty dull and uninteresting. Just not motivated now.

Everything was forced and regurgitated. Didn't help they went so far with the thinly veiled political activism.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Btw, where in NY were you? And what year? Definitely a different climate there vs here, especially once you get about 20 miles up the Hudson River.

I looked up the weather while I was there back in 2002. I didn't know I was in the middle of a heat wave lol.

Last half of June was warm/hot and this is what the first 4 days of July was for KLGA which is closest to Queens.

7/1 - 90/73

7/2 - 97/78

7/3 - 97/80

7/4 - 98/80

Somehow I should have remembered this but then again I was still in school and didn't even know how to drive yet. Maybe when we are younger the humidity doesn't affect us as much.

On Friday my friend attempted suicide. He left me a voicemail saying what he was about to do and luckily I saw it quick enough to take action. He got medical attention and it's now time for a new beginning. That's why I was saying how appreciative I was of the light things in life on Friday. Thanks guys.

• Like 3

On Friday my friend attempted suicide. He left me a voicemail saying what he was about to do and luckily I saw it quick enough to take action. He got medical attention and it's now time for a new beginning. That's why I was saying how appreciative I was of the light things in life on Friday. Thanks guys.

Glad to hear that you were able intervene.

The suicide rate is highest in the spring. Interesting phenomenon:

https://www.mghclaycenter.org/parenting-concerns/teenagers/spring-suicide-an-unlikely-combination/

If you live in a place with a harsh winter, think about how you feel on those dark, cold days. Do you want to exercise? Do you want to go out to dinner with friends? Do you want to be with anyone?

Some of you do. But it turns out that for many people, both with and without psychiatric syndromes, winter promotes a kind of emotional hibernation. We wall ourselves us in, we binge-watch Netflix, we rush from the car to the office to our houses. We sleep more. We just don’t interact as much with others when the days are cold and bleak.

The pressure of social interaction increases dramatically as the weather warms. In studies of developed nations, this effect seems even more pronounced in agricultural areas. From a social perspective, this makes sense. During the winter, there are no crops to plant, no plants to harvest. But, enter spring, and it’s time to go into town, buy your supplies and eventually take what you grow or raise to market. All of this forces a level of social engagement that can, for many, be a source of significant stress.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Are you f***** kidding me Tim?

It's good insight that might be helpful for him in talking to his friend. I have known this for years and had a similar experience with a friend in college and that also happened in April.

I looked up the weather while I was there back in 2002. I didn't know I was in the middle of a heat wave lol.

Last half of June was warm/hot and this is what the first 4 days of July was for KLGA which is closest to Queens.

7/1 - 90/73

7/2 - 97/78

7/3 - 97/80

7/4 - 98/80

Somehow I should have remembered this but then again I was still in school and didn't even know how to drive yet. Maybe when we are younger the humidity doesn't affect us as much.

The human mind often blocks out traumatic memories and sends them into the subconscious. ;)

Or maybe you’re not human. I don’t know. What I do know is that I’d prefer 110*F+ desert heat to 95*F swamp heat. And I have experienced both, so I know exactly where I’m coming from. Clear as day.

So sorry to hear. Glad you caught it in time. Thoughts, prayers, and well wishes from me.

• Like 1

Good for you for not just standing by and actually taking action to help your friend and I know you will be their number one supporter in their journey to a healthy life.

• Like 2

Jesus christ, just when I thought Tim can't go any lower, he exceeds expectations once again.....

What the hell is wrong with you Tim?

How is that low?? Good Lord. It's a real phenomenon like SAD. It's good information and I hope it's helpful.

Glad to hear that you were able intervene.

The suicide rate is highest in the spring when it starts turning really nice. Interesting phenomenon:

https://www.mghclaycenter.org/parenting-concerns/teenagers/spring-suicide-an-unlikely-combination/

If you live in a place with a harsh winter, think about how you feel on those dark, cold days. Do you want to exercise? Do you want to go out to dinner with friends? Do you want to be with anyone?

Some of you do. But it turns out that for many people, both with and without psychiatric syndromes, winter promotes a kind of emotional hibernation. We wall ourselves us in, we binge-watch Netflix, we rush from the car to the office to our houses. We sleep more. We just don’t interact as much with others when the days are cold and bleak.

The pressure of social interaction increases dramatically as the weather warms. In studies of developed nations, this effect seems even more pronounced in agricultural areas. From a social perspective, this makes sense. During the winter, there are no crops to plant, no plants to harvest. But, enter spring, and it’s time to go into town, buy your supplies and eventually take what you grow or raise to market. All of this forces a level of social engagement that can, for many, be a source of significant stress.

Oh come on. Believe it or not, some people actually have real problems in their lives.

But congrats on being a cold, dead, bloody c*nt for no reason whatsoever.

• Like 1

Oh come on. Believe it or not, some people actually have real problems in their lives.

But congrats on being a cold, dead, bloody c*nt for no reason whatsoever.

It's a fact. There is a reason that the rate is higher in April and May. And it's something to be aware of when trying help someone.

I speak from my own experience and in my wife's family as well.

3 suicides in her extended family over the years all happened in April. We talk about the reasons at the family reunion all the time.

How is that low?? Good Lord. It's a real phenomenon like SAD. It's good information and I hope it's helpful.

Dude, I have SAD. Gloomy weather doesn’t = suicide for 99.99% of people who have it, and trying to get a shot in like that was beyond low.

Just my take. Do with it what you wish.

Dude, I have SAD. Gloomy weather doesn’t = suicide for 99.99% of people who have it, and trying to get a shot in like that was beyond low.

Just my take. Do with it what you wish.

Of course most people don't do it. Thanks for the update. But it's a very real struggle and it's good to have insight.

I am at a loss for words.

I have been leary of April for 25 years.    I saw in firsthand with a friend in college.    And experience with my wife's family has mirrored that. 

Its not just the increase in suicides either...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-april-mass-murder-killing-season-20160405-story.html

El Nina, I'm glad you were able to help your friend out in a time of need. If you ever need advice in helping your friend just PM me anytime. Right now just continue to be there for your friend.

• Like 1

Glad you were able to step in in time.

• Like 2

The human mind often blocks out traumatic memories and sends them into the subconscious. ;)

Or maybe you’re not human. I don’t know. What I do know is that I’d prefer 110*F+ desert heat to 95*F swamp heat. And I have experienced both, so I know exactly where I’m coming from. Clear as day.

I've been to both Las Vegas and Phoenix so I definitely agree there. That it's not too bad because of the dry air even with triple digit temperatures.

I have been leary of April for 25 years. I saw in firsthand with a friend in college. And experience with my wife's family has mirrored that.

Its not just the increase in suicides either...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-april-mass-murder-killing-season-20160405-story.html

You really can't stop can you...

You really can't stop can you...

Stop what?   Trying to help?   It has nothing to do with my weather preferences.     I am ignoring your non-stop hatred of me right now.   I think El Nina might actually appreciate more information.  It could be helpful.

https://www.xojane.com/issues/suicide-rates-rise-in-spring

00Z GFS is looking more like the 12Z ECMWF by Tuesday... after being cooler/wetter over the weekend.  

00Z GEM is very similar to the 12Z ECMWF overall.  

Stop what? Trying to help? It has nothing to do with my weather preferences. I am ignoring your non-stop hatred of me right now. I think El Nina might actually appreciate more information. It could be helpful.

https://www.xojane.com/issues/suicide-rates-rise-in-spring

No hatred at all, just really shocked at how you are really pushing the weather or season aspect in this, when you have no idea about an individual you do not even know, you just assume because you have been there in April.

No hatred at all, just really shocked at how you are really pushing the weather or season aspect in this, when you have no idea about an individual you do not even know, you just assume because you have been there in April.

Not assuming.   Just offering some insight that might help.    There is no way for me to know the specific details... El Nina probably does not know the reasons either.    But April can be a cruel month in many ways.     I think about this every April based on my own personal experience with family and friends.

PDX still has east winds gusting to 30+. Will be interesting to see if/when they decouple overnight.

Just noticed that its still 60 here... I assume there must be some east wind out there.    

High temps on Thursday per the 00Z WRF... its white hot!!  

I think they update the temp scale on May 1st... and then it will not max out around 76 which renders it useless on many days.      :)

wa_tsfc.72.0000.gif.pagespeed.ce.WwrkJQE

That extrapolates out to a max of 84 degrees, per the temp graph, not 76.

Yeah... I see that now.   And I was being a little sarcastic.

I also think its probably wrong showing 84+ degrees everywhere from Vancouver BC to Eugene.

WRF says this heat wave crashes into a weekend of solid low clouds and chilly temperatures with plenty of light rain around.    A good weekend to be out of town.  :)