April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Was able to mow the lawn pretty quickly today with nice, dry grass. Imagine that.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Got the lawn mowed and tilled and planted the vegetable garden.   I think I did break a sweat at one point thus making it a miserably hot day.  ;)

And after planting the garden... I was told to put the sprinkler on for a little while.     We have water each day this week to encourage germination.   Ironic. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z GFS showing warmer and drier weather next week. Right now it's showing 3 straight days of 80+ for PDX Tuesday to Thursday. SEA gets to 80+ on Thursday.

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2018041800/168/sfct.us_nw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2018041800/192/sfct.us_nw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2018041800/216/sfct.us_nw.png

Even though the EURO led the way on this heat wave we need to give credit to the GFS too. The 00z GFS run last Tuesday night said 3 straight 80+ degree days for PDX this Tuesday to Thursday. Lo and behold that's what we will probably get. Even though it went to colder solutions after that it did spot the heat wave before the EURO did so it deserves some recognition for that.

Mark just updated his 7 day and this is what he's thinking right now.

"Today has been a spectacular mid-spring day. Sunny skies will continue until sunset right after 8pm.

The next 3 days will be the warmest so far this season, with record highs likely Tuesday & Wednesday. We jump about 10 degrees tomorrow then another 6-10 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday. Sunshine each day with a much warmer airmass overhead combines with a gusty easterly wind (like California's Santa Ana wind) to push high temperatures into the 70s and 80s. Even the coastline should see the unusually warm temperatures. A similar setup in mid April 2016 & 2012 pushed our highs into the 82-89 degree range."

http://lmgcorporate.com/kptv/weather/ibs_web_7-day.jpg

Nice! I've never been up there. Do you do lots of fishing? I got a buddy up there who fishes Lake Washington. I have to take him up on his offer and go fishing with him sometime.

I fished almost every free waking hour at Lake Goodwin when I was a kid...now I’m lucky to get out once a year but I should make it a priority again! You should take up his offer and do some Lake Washington fishing!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

In case anyone cares to look over in the UK they had their first warm spell of the year with many SE areas going above 25C. . Now a chance of thundershowers with small hail as cooler air invades with "wintry showers" over hilly areas by Thursday while we over here bake in 86F weather.  Weird.  https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8873-uk-weather-this-week-cooler-fresher-and-chillier-still-from-thursday 

UK Weather This Week: Cooler, Fresher and Chillier Still From Thursday

Take your coat and a brolly this week. The heat has gone that brought us the warmest April day for nearly 70 years 29.1 on Friday and the warmest London marathon since 1981 on a day when temperatures in the capital reached 24.1C. Hot enough for the spectators, never mind running all that way.

It is now cooler and fresher with a westerly wind off the Atlantic and it will stay like that, feeling even chillier from Thursday onwards.

What the hell is a brolly anyways? (umbrella?)? I know sweater is jumper over there so I'd assume they would say don't forget a warm comfy jumper.  Though I think they will need more then that.

Pretty morning. Today should be PDX’s first 70+ high of the season, followed by their first 80+ high of the season tomorrow. That probably doesn’t happen too often.

Pretty impressive temperature gradient between the coastal PNW area to the northern Intermountain region today/tomorrow. Highs in upper 70's and 80's at PDX, heavy snow and 30's out this way. Begins to happen more frequently this time of year but impressive nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Got down to 37 this morning and now already 58.

Yesterday was a great day to be outside. Weeded the garden out and started putting up a new fence. Cooked out on the fire last night.

Razor clammed on Saturday at Pacific Beach. Was a nice morning with a lot of sun then it got interrupted by a squall for about 20 minutes which acted to chase some people away then it continued to be nice after that. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I fished almost every free waking hour at Lake Goodwin when I was a kid...now I’m lucky to get out once a year but I should make it a priority again! You should take up his offer and do some Lake Washington fishing!

Yeah you should definitely fish there as much as you can since you live there. I'm going to try and make it up there this summer. He usually fishes for salmon at Lake Washington but I know you can catch warm water fish as well.

Beautiful day outside! PDX will finally get over 70 today. Tomorrow I'm thinking 83-87 for PDX Metro. Then 85-90 on Wednesday and Thursday. Probably a better chance of tying the all time April record high of 90 on Thursday if the clouds hold off until after peak heating. Either way it's going to be hot!

ecmwf_T850_nwus_4.png

ecmwf_T850a_nwus_4.png

Going to be some dangerously toasty cars this week.

SEA has an outside shot at taking down an extremely weak record of 72 today. Also a decent shot at the record of 76 tomorrow, and even better chance at 77 for Wednesday.

Thursday's more respectable record of 82 is probably out of reach.

A forum for the end of the world.

Beautiful day outside! PDX will finally get over 70 today. Tomorrow I'm thinking 83-87 for PDX Metro. Then 85-90 on Wednesday and Thursday. Probably a better chance of tying the all time April record high of 90 on Thursday if the clouds hold off until after peak heating. Either way it's going to be hot!

ecmwf_T850_nwus_4.png

ecmwf_T850a_nwus_4.png

That's one warm looking map. 85-90 in April is crazy! 

About 63 at home, closer to 67 in the valley bottom in Bothell. 

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Not a lot to support numbers that high.

We should make a contest!

12z Euro looks pretty cool and wet down here his weekend.

Only wet down there late Friday into Saturday morning. Actually cooler and wetter up here by Saturday afternoon. Then it starts warming up and drying out for everyone by Sunday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Euro has been a hot mess lately.

Well... there is trough way offshore that is cutting off right now and kicking off this warm spell. A week ago... some were mocking the ECMWF cut off bias and saying it would not happen. Me included.

Well... there is trough way offshore that is cutting off right now and kicking off this warm spell. A week ago... some were mocking the ECMWF cut off bias and saying it would not happen. Me included.

Sure. But as far as duration and intensity of the warm spell, it has been all over the place. Especially involving the eventual progression of the ULL. Almost every run has been different the past few days.

The Euro lead the way on picking up on this warm spell, if my memory serves me. But the GFS has been leading the way on the progression leading to its termination (behavior of the ULL as it picks up steam again). Which is something the models famously struggle with.

ecmwf_T850_nwus_4.png

ecmwf_T850a_nwus_4.png

83/84/80

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That's one warm looking map. 85-90 in April is crazy!

About 63 at home, closer to 67 in the valley bottom in Bothell.

Yeah and it's going to feel warmer than what it would usually feel because it's been several months since we've seen this type of weather. Our bodies haven't seen this in a while. It's going to be a shock to the system.

I think you guys up there in SEA got a good chance of hitting 80 on Thursday.

Heatwave

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Well, the ECMWF was technically wrong with how it produced the cutoff/ULL. The GFS was just much worse with the upstream wavetrain. Too flat/progressive, as usual.

The GFS/GEFS’ progressive bias is just as bad as the ECMWF’s cutoff/ULL bias, if not worse.