Winter Medium to Long Range Discussion; 5+ days out

Geos

My hunch on models not digesting the EPO/Strat Warming may now begin to show...it's still early in the game but I think we will begin to see some sort of Panhandle Hook like we saw in LRC cycle #2.  Ultimately, this storm has good potential to spread the wealth for the sub-forum.

Notes aside, check out the Northern America snow cover...almost at 10 year highs!

http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/snow/plots/daily_snow_extent/multisensor_4km_na_snow_extent_by_year_graph.png

I think on the GFS your seeing an incomplete phase until it gets to the Ohio Valley. Would explain the break in the snow band.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Euro/GFS night/day with the AO/NAO....

The 12z Euro looses the strength of HP in western CA at HR 192 compared to previous runs when the ensembles are all increasing.  Doesn't make sense.  Something's gotta give.

Yeah. Hopefully it can spread the wealth for everyone here

GFS/GEM takes southern route and Europe goes north into Canada. I wonder which will be correct. My guess this far out the European is out to lunch and has pretty much been hibernating all winter long. Stay asleep my friend...stay asleep.

Hahaha...I like that...at least it's showing a bomb diggidy in the central CONUS...more and more GEFS are showing sub 980's...would like to see the teleconnections shift more netural than positive on the Euro.

12z JMA carving out a deep trough at HR 192...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/jma/2016012412/jma_z500_vort_us_9.png

You'd think this system would dig farther south given the time of year at which the jet is reaching peak intensity.

Hahaha...I like that...at least it's showing a bomb diggidy in the central CONUS...more and more GEFS are showing sub 980's...would like to see the teleconnections shift more netural than positive on the Euro.

I agree. Lots of time to model watch this one but at least there is a big storm to track. I'm sure we will see a couple runs where this bombs out somewhere on the EC. I remember the GHD storm where a model was showing it out to sea about 72hrs out. Looking forward to seeing the runs next weekend.