Winter Medium to Long Range Discussion; 5+ days out

Geos

I could see this ending up being a 1st wave that producing over-running snows, then the storm develops in the southern Plains tracking towards the Lakes with a 1 - 2 punch.  Long duration event on the table who ever finds themselves in the jackpot zone.  Not to mention, Lehs in WI and maybe IL if the track shifts SE.

• Like 1

Onto the 12z Euro...

Looks like Baltimore and the capital will end up with less than what was forecasted. Philly and NYC might end up with more.

Talk about a last minute shift or shaft rather...lol...still though, DC has over 2Ft so can't complain there.

Pre Feb 1st storm:

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/models/gfshires/20160123/06Z/f216/acckucherasnowmw.png

Post Feb 2nd/3rd storm

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/models/gfshires/20160123/06Z/f288/acckucherasnowmw.png

That would be the craziest week we have seen around here in over 50 years. That is what we would see in a season! Like I said before, it always seems like we see large storm systems on the coast followed by another monster in the plains/great lakes. It's amazing to see the consistency; gonna be a fun ride boys!!

I could see this ending up being a 1st wave that producing over-running snows, then the storm develops in the southern Plains tracking towards the Lakes with a 1 - 2 punch. Long duration event on the table who ever finds themselves in the jackpot zone. Not to mention, Lehs in WI and maybe IL if the track shifts SE.

Yup only way the high totals verify

Here is GFS at HR 192

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/models/gfshires/20160123/12Z/f192/sfcconus.png

Note how far south that northern stream is and look at how far south the high pressure is already compared to EURO. Both show a storm but that's going to be the key to this storm and how far south or north it tracks. 

Big difference is that northern stream clipper up in central/southern Canada at HR 192. That blocks the high from building south and allowing the storm to go north.

exactly, as soon as I saw the high was weaker I had a hint that we may be in trouble, the high built too little too late

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

The 12z Euro run was extremely disorganized and doesn't make sense to me.  It has various pieces of energy scattered around and doesn't bundle up the energy like the GFS.  The Euro has had to much low pressure in western Canada in previous runs and is now showing more HP.

Check out the 12z run from today...compare it to last night...you can see the lower heights on the 12z run near the Yukon (not supposed to happen).  Also, the Euro from run to run,is starting to increase HP in the NE PAC which I expected to see given the nature of the models error handling the warm waters off the NW NAMER coast.

On the Day 10 12z Euro run today, check out how much more HP is centered in western/southern Canada and compare it to last night.  

More importantly, the Euro likes to drag its feet and leaving energy behind in the southwest to long.  Last night it had more energy ejected out quicker but not enough HP in Canada.  Now, imagine if today's run had the energy all come out at once with all that blocking to the north!  You wouldn't have the kind of separation of energy and the storm wouldn't ride into the northern Plains.  Instead, the storm should eject out near the TX Panhandle where this storm should be tracking.

That's why I believe in the LRC being a good tool to forecast tracks and figuring out which model may be right or wrong 5-10 days out.

I also feel the models are "feeling" some effects of the massive energy transfer going on from the troposphere to the stratosphere.  The GFS has it beginning today through the end of the month.  Dr. Judah Cohen has been talking a lot about this lately.

Might be a reason why the models are seeing the EPO slide back towards neutral/negative territory.

My theory has been watching what happens at 30mb 2-3 weeks before and notice the location where it blossoms.  If you can see the image below, the blossoming occurs right over NW NAMER around Jan 10th which is EXACTLY where the heights will rise late next week!  Coincidence???  I think not.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/intraseasonal/temp30anim.gif