September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Looks like the modeling is trending towards the depiction of a strong vortex over the western Arctic and Alaska during week two.

Obviously, that favors warmth in the PNW (and most of the US, for that matter). Probably (hopefully) isn't something prolonged.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Looks like the modeling is trending towards the depiction of a strong vortex over the western Arctic and Alaska during week two.

Obviously, that favors warmth in the PNW (and most of the US, for that matter). Probably (hopefully) isn't something prolonged.

WPAC forcing getting indigestion?

Still a clear upward trend... but the ECMWF ensemble mean definitely shows more a trough for next weekend then previous runs.   Way different than the 00Z GFS in that time period.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

WPAC forcing getting indigestion?

Lol, I think it's more or less a property of seasonal circulatory changes and wave spacing, as noted by the flip in the polar circulation.

"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

The back and forths on this forum resemble fights with my ex girlfriends. Except on here there is no breaking up.

Hi Bryant :) feeling really good about your location this winter.

It's more like when the entire disfunctional family meets up for Thanksgiving dinner...except everyday is thanksgiving here!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

37 for a low in Klamath Falls. For some reason I was +4 warmer than yesterday (33). Tomorrow AM should be the coldest out of last few though. Maybe 29-27 in spots. 

Just when we are close to needing a heater to work in our house, it is making a loud "rattling/shaking" noise. We need to get that checked out before it gets much colder and averages colder.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 25
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 5/21, 5/22, 5/26, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The d10-15 CMC ensembles couldn't be more different than the GEFS for that timeframe. Polar opposites if anything..who'll come out on top?

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/21707F06-3B0B-4B08-BB2A-5E54203C773F_zpslmhxiivy.png

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/2C2C0F55-C3CC-45EE-B894-AEDE80EC65A7_zpsl52lyyxf.png

Hopefully the Canadian in this case. Which one looks more like the EURO ensembles at that range?

Neither, the EPS ensemble has a ridge, but it's centered offshore, and it has a ridge over the Hudson Bay as opposed to the vortex the GEFS has there.

Neither, the EPS ensemble has a ridge, but it's centered offshore, and it has a ridge over the Hudson Bay as opposed to the vortex the GEFS has there.

So basically they're all really different in their own way. :lol:

Well 2/3 would likely result in a cooler than average pattern for us. As Meat Loaf would say, that ain't bad.

• Like 1

I am loving the 12Z ECMWF.    Just skims us with a system next Sunday and then quickly builds in a strong ridge.   The 8-10 day period looks very warm.  

Before that... Thursday - Saturday look really nice.    Saturday is quite warm as well.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The Euro continues to delay a major warm up. Days 9-10 are the only really warm looking days now, and that will likely continue to get pushed back.

The clipperesque system on Sunday looks much stronger on this run. Could be some chilly nights behind it.

Comparing to the 12Z run yesterday... the weekend system is much weaker.

Comparing to the 00Z run... its a little stronger but Sunday is still sunny and in the low 70s which is the same as the 00Z run.   

Saturday is also into the 80s in Portland and in the upper 70s in Seattle. 

Today could end up being the coolest of this troughy period so far.

Different story up here, sun is out air is warm...ahhh late summer is back!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It's meteorological fall now.

Certainly doesn't feel like it up here so I am going to continue to call it summer for the time being. Plus can't we extend meteorological summer now with global warming and what not? Should go ahead and sync up with calendar fall now in my opinion!

Guest Winterdog

It's meteorological fall now.

Even more importantly it's psychological fall as well. This year needs to be different. Warm falls suck. I will likely go into a deep depression if we have to endure another fall and winter like the last two.
  • Like 1

Certainly doesn't feel like it up here so I am going to continue to call it summer for the time being. Plus can't we extend meteorological summer now with global warming and what not? Should go ahead and sync up with calendar fall now in my opinion!

It's a below average day across the region, with highs around 70 in your area. Hey, if that means summer to you... ;)

A forum for the end of the world.

Even more importantly it's psychological fall as well. This year needs to be different. Warm falls suck. I will likely go into a deep depression if we have to endure another fall and winter like the last two.

Even normal winters (regarding snowfall) aren't exciting for the lowlands. We're a bit pampered with events from before the drought. 

And some of the lowlands HAD snow (at least in Oregon) last winter. Looks like you're going to be depressed this year, pretty good chance ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 25
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 5/21, 5/22, 5/26, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It's a below average day across the region, with highs around 70 in your area. Hey, if that means summer to you... ;)

Certainly better than the last two craptastic days!! Back to shorts and short sleeved shirts! Summer!

So basically they're all really different in their own way. :lol:

Well 2/3 would likely result in a cooler than average pattern for us. As Meat Loaf would say, that ain't bad.

He also said he would do anything for both barotropic and baroclinic local Eliassen-Palm flux components to decelerate westerlies and thus help the transient eddies maintain a blocking episode during a wintertime Arctic outbreak pattern.....but he won't do that? 

• Like 1

Stop trying to be annoying.

Stop trying to be annoying.

Dude. It feels like summer during the day when the sun is out. There is a hint of fall in the mornings and at night, and the trees are starting to turn. Psychologically we are ready for fall and we want fall so we make it feel more like fall than it really does... It's still summer. And next week it's going to get hot. Might be for a day, might be for a few days. Stop being annoying. We went for a walk today. I started with a sweatshirt because i was bracing for it to feel like fall, and it kind of even looked like it might be chilly. We got out in the sun and it felt hot. Ended up shirtless. Gorgeous out today.... Air feels kinda fallish... I guess.

• Like 2

Brace yourself.

And if you are getting depressed about sunshine and 70s in late September and October then the weather is not your biggest problem.   :)

This looks really nice... a great compliment to the current cool pattern and the recent rain.   Nice variety.   Ready for some more warm weather now.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png