May 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I am definitely going to cheer for Jesse and Phil's misery more specifically now.   :)

Can't wait for the miserable heat and humidity to engulf the swamp of DC.  

And summer will probably be just perfect here.   Maybe a warm, dry fall to follow?   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am definitely going to cheer for Jesse's  misery more specifically now.   :)

Can't wait for the miserable heat and humidity to engulf the swamp of DC.  

And summer will probably be just perfect here.   Maybe a warm, dry fall to follow?   

And this would change things how?

• Like 1

So I was just looking at the temperature in May for the last 6 years in Battle Ground.

This graph shows the high temperatures.

The top line is the warmest it's been for any given day, the middle line is the average, and the bottom line shows the coldest high temperature during the 6 years period.

Every warmest day before the 15th is above 80, but that next 1.5 weeks we can't seem to get really consistent warm weather...looks the same this month!

Also, notice the downward trend in the average temp, very backward for a month that clearly should be trending up.

So I was just looking at the temperature in May for the last 6 years in Battle Ground.

The top line is the warmest it's been for any given day, the middle line is the average, and the bottom line shows the coldest high temperature during the 6 years period.

Every warmest day before the 15th is above 80, but that next 1.5 weeks we can't seem to get really consistent warm weather...looks the same this month!

Also, notice the downward trend in the average temp, very backward for a month that clearly should be trending up.

Interesting... just noticed that average high at SEA actually dips between 5/19 -  5/22 as well.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I noticed this too. May 2013 in particular tracked very similarly to Octobers 2014 and 2015.

12z gfs is stupid wet over the next week... but I want to take the boat out! #firstworldproblems

Yeah... ECMWF looks terrible as well.   

The weekend is a total washout and well beyond.  

Tomorrow looks like the last dry day in the foreseeable future, but the precip amounts look pretty minuscule on the 12Z ensembles. We could finally be heading into the period of only receiving mist or drizzle whenever we get our rain now. It's perfect for my gardening. I have been going through a 60' long row covered with tons of weeds, and I have been weeding it to recover all the strawberry plants that are hidden within the weeds.

• Like 2

Finally, some May-like weather returns!

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017050918/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_8.png

You will end up with .10 while I get 5 inches.

Been a gorgeous last few days. I really don't see much to complain about.

He is clearly trolling. Wild guess here... but after the wettest winter in history and the wettest Feb-Apr in history we really don't need to be begging for rain already on May 9th. :)

It will come and it will stick around for several days. It sucks... but its the way it goes. Be nice to have one day of rain and then go back to this weather but it rarely works that way in the spring.

In a wee bit of irony here... I am watering tonight.    This despite the lawn still being more sponge-like than I have ever seen.   I need to fertilize again and need to get it absorbed slowly before the rains return and wash it away.    The neighbors walked by and could not believe I had a sprinkler on.   :)

18423001_1322775671123971_74062943189877

In a wee bit of irony here... I am watering tonight. This despite the lawn still being more sponge-like than I have ever seen. I need to fertilize again and need to get it absorbed slowly before the rains return and wash it away. The neighbors walked by and could not believe I had a sprinkler on. :)

Who does the gardening there? It's beautiful and I would love to have mine look like that, but don't have the time.

He is clearly trolling. Wild guess here... but after the wettest winter in history and the wettest Feb-Apr in history we really don't need to be begging for rain already on May 9th. :)

It will come and it will stick around for several days. It sucks... but its the way it goes. Be nice to have one day of rain and then go back to this weather but it rarely works that way in the spring.

Kinda went that way most of the last few springs.

A forum for the end of the world.

Who does the gardening there? It's beautiful and I would love to have mine look like that, but don't have the time.

Mostly my wife... who also works full time. She takes after her mother. She loves being outside and gardening. I help her and do the lawn work. Its pretty low maintenance at this point.

In a wee bit of irony here... I am watering tonight. This despite the lawn still being more sponge-like than I have ever seen. I need to fertilize again and need to get it absorbed slowly before the rains return and wash it away. The neighbors walked by and could not believe I had a sprinkler on. :)

You're f*cked.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Kinda went that way most of the last few springs.

No... we had two week stretches with daily rain here in both May and June last year.