May 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Mostly my wife... who also works full time. She takes after her mother. She loves being outside and gardening. I help her and do the lawn work. Its pretty low maintenance at this point.

I'm going to tell my wife this (who also works full time). And she is going to be pissed at me.

Mostly my wife... who also works full time. She takes after her mother. She loves being outside and gardening. I help her and do the lawn work. Its pretty low maintenance at this point.

It's an awesome garden. I feel like stuff doesn't grow as well up here. My growing season is so short and it literally does not rain during the summer down here... I'm still 3/4 weeks from being out of danger of frost here.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

In a wee bit of irony here... I am watering tonight.    This despite the lawn still being more sponge-like than I have ever seen.   I need to fertilize again and need to get it absorbed slowly before the rains return and wash it away.    The neighbors walked by and could not believe I had a sprinkler on.   :)

18423001_1322775671123971_74062943189877

Residential watering, an early symptom of crippling drought. Our neighbours started it 2 weeks ago.

Browsing the SEA climate data... now at 46 inches of rain for the water year (since Oct 1) which is 1.5 inches above the total through this date last year which was a record at the time.    

SEA is 14.5 inches above normal since Oct 1... and close to 28 inches above normal since 10/1/2015.    That is seriously impressive from a statistical perspective.  

For our Canadian friends... that is 711 mm above normal over the last 18 months.    ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

not Phil but can tell you it was about as pitiful as it can get with snow tottels this past winter here.

This year also continues the trend of crappy springs filled with dead flowers, and frozen precip falling into April/May. Amazing how we constantly manage sub-freezing lows into the middle of May, yet we can't drop below 60*F on Christmas Eve, right after the winter solstice.

The of course the swamp turns on with the flip of a switch in late May, and stays on until the middle of October. F**k this place.

FWIW, the top stormvista analogs for the latest ECMWF monthlies are 2010, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1991, 1983, 1981, 1980, 1977, and 1976.

Tim's already got the market cornered on this side splitting brand of sarcasm.

VIS is running away with it... all of his posts are tinged with sarcasm and trolling now.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You've got the flip side of it covered with your daily comedy show. Some real knee slappers.

You know it's getting seriously dry when Tims got the sprinklers going.

Definitely!   I squished my way around yard to set up the sprinklers and then add more water.   We should be growing rice at this point.   Hoping the grass is able to suck up the fertilizer before tomorrow.   

Definitely! I squished my way around yard to set up the sprinklers and then add more water. We should be growing rice at this point. Hoping the grass is able to suck up the fertilizer before tomorrow.

I think the fertilizer would have been fine without the extra sprinkling. Not sure what type you use but it's probably not going to be washed away by tomorrow's rain (imo).

I think the fertilizer would have been fine without the extra sprinkling. Not sure what type you use but it's probably not going to be washed away by tomorrow's rain (imo).

I wanted to add a little water to dissolve the pellets. Heavy rain washes it away and pushes it into piles. I can control the dissolving process with just a little water. Then there is nothing to wash away.

Its Scotts Turf Builder.

I wanted to add a little water to dissolve the pellets. Heavy rain washes it away and pushes it into piles. I can control the dissolving process with just a little water. Then there is nothing to wash away.

Its Scotts Turf Builder.

I see, that does dissolve pretty quickly and evenly with just a light sprinkling.

I have been indoors the past 6 days or so, but I understand the weather has been quite "nice".