PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Just hit 40. 🤮

But you're safe from ZR.

• Snow 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

13 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Yeah we have a room that’s warmed to a sauna right now in anticipation. Also the farthest room on the bottom floor from the trees. Never experienced anything like this. 

It was much worse up in 2012... I could hear branches cracking and trees falling every couple of seconds.    I don't hear much out there right now.    My son just went to his car in the driveway to grab something and he said one of the really tall cottonwoods across the street sounded like it was going to fall but it dropped all of its ice at once and went from drooping to standing tall.   He said it sounded incredible to hear all that ice fall at once.    I assume that is a good sign.   He came back in and said that the trees are starting to shed.

I might have asked you this before... but do you live on the east side of town?

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It was much worse up in 2012... I could hear branches cracking and trees falling every couple of seconds.    I don't hear much out there right now.    My son went to his car in the driveway to grab something and he said one of the really tall cottonwoods across the street sounded like it was going to fall but it shed all of its ice at once and went from drooping to standing tall.   He said it sounded incredible to hear all that ice fall at once.    I assume that is a good sign.   He came back in and said that the trees are starting to shed.

I might have asked you this before... but do you live on the east side of town?

Can’t imagine. Yeah Maloney Grove area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Can’t imagine. Yeah Maloney Grove area. 

Oh wow... that is just east of Safeway.   I know the far east side of town in the neighborhoods off exit 34 hang onto cold the longest being right at the entrance of the outflow.   But for it to be that bad in your area is not a good sign.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Still mid 20s in a lot of the east metro-- definitely some very entrenched cold air

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Oh wow... that is just east of Safeway.   I know the far east side of town in the neighborhoods off exit 34 hang onto cold the longest being right at the entrance of the outflow.   But for it to be that bad in your area is not a good sign.  

Yeah not that far east but there’s just a few houses between me and open fields all the way to the cascades. You would know much better than me but a guy that lived here for a long time said it’s a little micro climate right here. We got up to 31 but down back down to 30. 

• Like 2

Fixed my saggy gutter that was pouring water over it. Tried breaking up the iceberg inside the gutter (think of that scene from Christmas vacation) but it’s rock solid so I wedged the ladder up there, it’s just enough for the water to flow on top of the ice down to the gutter drain. .66” of melted snow/ice and rainfall so far on the day. 40.6 

The layer of ice is sure preserving the snow from the heatwave and the snow killing south wind! 

479C6667-6FEB-41FE-AB25-29543BADFEC4.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Yeah not that far east but there’s just a few houses between me and open fields all the way to the cascades. You would know much better than me but a guy that lived here for a long time said it’s a little micro climate right here. We got up to 31 but down back down to 30. 

Do not like to hear the temp dropped again.    This warm up is sooooooo slow.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Heads up for folks in Western Whatcom. WSW extended until 2AM. 

Not sure the slower warming trend up there really bodes any better for us down here and in the Gorge either...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

33 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

I feel like cold intrusions in the past have come in pairs in the past roughly 4 weeks apart similar to this year. When they do occur though we don’t typically see another similar cold intrusion the rest of winter. We’ll see if this one will follow.  

I think the next one could be a bit more suppressed based on it coming in the very heart of the winter, if it actually happens next month.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Not sure the slower warming trend up there really bodes any better for us down here and in the Gorge either...

Perhaps not to be honest, you guys are dealing with the east winds through the gaps. Most of W.Wa even up to Whatcom is now dealing with S. Winds… E. WA north wind which is feeding into the Gorge for your outflow. 

But just like clockwork, the models once again are not very good with scouring of low levels cold. 

29 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Not good enough! Try again! 

The way the GFS handles that low is really odd.  Just kind of washes out instead of creating a huge wind rush.

Again...I just don't get why people want a damaging windstorm after everything we've already had, but to each his own.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Yep and the EURO has the wind switching back easterly until 2-3 pm. That would be worst case scenario but we just dropped to 29 😟 

I feel your pain.  I've been there before.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

The way the GFS handles that low is really odd.  Just kind of washes out instead of creating a huge wind rush.

Again...I just don't get why people want a damaging windstorm after everything we've already had, but to each his own.

Because I am a big weather event whack job and proud of it lol! 

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I'm right on the edge.  33.8 so no new ice, but little melting.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

I can handle the power outages and the cold but the trees scare the sh** out of me.  

Yeah... when the trees start cracking and falling around you it gets D**n scary.    Do you have big trees close to your house?

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It look like it kinda almost stalled out before making the push in land.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... when the trees start cracking and falling around you it gets D**n scary.    Do you have big trees close to your house?

6 within striking distance, one of which is massive. They’ve been a disaster in two years so far. Destroyed the fence, damaged the neighbors truck, constant cleanup. The only thing I don’t like about this place 😃 

This GFS run (and other model runs) torch the sheit out of the NE and tries to get a SE ridge going.  I'm betting the upstream stuff will start to fall into places on future runs.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 hours ago, Perturbed Member said:

Portland and Seattle need this climate, pretty much ideal. Maybe a bit warm in the summers but otherwise it looks awesome. 

image.thumb.png.057dd02294bf61b115b30b8db53dbd49.png

I would choose Cle Elum because average max temps in the summer are nearly 10 degrees lower due to cool air flowing in through the passes.  Cle Elum is also a thousand feet higher so there is benefit from that in the winter.  Of course, Leavenworth is prettier.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

6 within striking distance, one of which is massive. They’ve been a disaster in two years so far. Destroyed the fence, damaged the neighbors truck, constant cleanup. The only thing I don’t like about this place 😃 

I had 3 trouble makers, and had the worst two taken out a couple of years ago.  The third is going next summer.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9